Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Default Re: Finally! Thoughts on new towers

Quote Originally Posted by Audiolover458 View Post
    I do not see Emotiva having a 7 channel amp online. is this new? or anything starting with MSP or MPS?
    The MPS-2 is an old product from them I believe the stopped making it about 4 years ago. You can fine them used on-line at time but you would have to look and grab them as soon as they come up. I've seen a few on ebay and on Emotiva's forum, but they don't last long. They tend to go the same day they are posted and they go for about $1500 on ebay.

Emotiva doesn't make a like product any more which is sad, but also why they they get snatched up so quickly when they do come up for sale. If you find one be prepared to pay $$ for shipping as it's about 125 lbs total weight.
    Media PC: Intel i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB RAM, 250G Samsung 840 EVO, XFX HD7870 GPU
    Software: JRiver MC 20.0.79, AnyDVD HD 7.5.8.0
    Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 13.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 28)
    Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as SL/SR
    Sub: Elemental Designs A7s-650
    TV tuner: HD HomeRun DUEL (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Audiolover458 View Post
    How about a Bryston 9B 3 Channel AMP upgradable to 5 Channel. 20 year parts and labor warranty.
    Never heard one. Supposed to be very good. However a quick google search puts them out of my price range. (9B sst2 Pro - 5x140 @8 or 200 @4 for $8095 & Emotiva XPA-5 - 5x200@8 or 300@4 for $999).

My take on amps... a great amp should only do one thing, amplify the signal. There should be no coloration, warmth, or whatever you want to call it added to the signal. If the signal going in is one way it should be that same way coming out. To me the artist wanted their music to sound a given way and that is how it is recorded. We should honor that and have it sound that same way -as our budgets allow. Therefore if you have that kind of money in your budget. Get 3 Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2's at $1100 each and try them for 30 days. If you don't like them return them (yes they have a 30day eval policy). Even if the Bryston is better is it $$$ better? only you can answer that.
    Media PC: Intel i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB RAM, 250G Samsung 840 EVO, XFX HD7870 GPU
    Software: JRiver MC 20.0.79, AnyDVD HD 7.5.8.0
    Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 13.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 28)
    Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as SL/SR
    Sub: Elemental Designs A7s-650
    TV tuner: HD HomeRun DUEL (2)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedD408 View Post
    Never heard one. Supposed to be very good. However a quick google search puts them out of my price range. (9B sst2 Pro - 5x140 @8 or 200 @4 for $8095 & Emotiva XPA-5 - 5x200@8 or 300@4 for $999).

My take on amps... a great amp should only do one thing, amplify the signal. There should be no coloration, warmth, or whatever you want to call it added to the signal. If the signal going in is one way it should be that same way coming out. To me the artist wanted their music to sound a given way and that is how it is recorded. We should honor that and have it sound that same way -as our budgets allow. Therefore if you have that kind of money in your budget. Get 3 Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2's at $1100 each and try them for 30 days. If you don't like them return them (yes they have a 30day eval policy). Even if the Bryston is better is it $$$ better? only you can answer that.

I hear you but the coloration on the XPA seems to be a lot more. I know I can get one 9B for 5500 in 5 Channel config. But 999 sounds way better. I have no reference hearing speakers with an AMP and then without one so cant tell either way. So any AMP is an upgrade for me. Dont have space for 3 AMPS any way but good idea 3300 much better than 5500. Only thing Bryston has 20 year parts and labor warranty. I have heard some bad things about Emotiva but hardly any on the Bryston 9B.

Bryston claims their AMPS probably could be rated at twice their rating if they started being loosy goosy with them and they have more headroom compared to the EMOTIVA.

Appreciate your suggestions they are very valid. $$$$$

That is a great write up looney!!!
    I am sure you will be very happy with the towers for a looooooong time and will probably get the itch sooner or later to add some S2's to the system to make things even more enjoyable, but that is just me talking and or drooling.

audiolover: my take on amps is such that I would first get a quality AVR first. I know you said to me that you enjoy movies as well as your music and I think an AVR might be better suited to you now than to spend extra $$$ money on an amp. I have the Denon 4311ci and am very happy with it for my needs right now, but have been thinking about replacing it with a Marantz 8801, just for the 11.2 in it. At that time I would consider an amp to run my front 3 and take some of the heavy lifting off the AVR, while the AVR runs the rest of the speakers. As you heard at my home, the Denon 4311ci can play loud. Would you really need an amp for maybe an increase of 2-4dbs? I hardly think it is cost effective at the price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Harro View Post
    That is a great write up looney!!!
    I am sure you will be very happy with the towers for a looooooong time and will probably get the itch sooner or later to add some S2's to the system to make things even more enjoyable, but that is just me talking and or drooling.

audiolover: my take on amps is such that I would first get a quality AVR first. I know you said to me that you enjoy movies as well as your music and I think an AVR might be better suited to you now than to spend extra $$$ money on an amp. I have the Denon 4311ci and am very happy with it for my needs right now, but have been thinking about replacing it with a Marantz 8801, just for the 11.2 in it. At that time I would consider an amp to run my front 3 and take some of the heavy lifting off the AVR, while the AVR runs the rest of the speakers. As you heard at my home, the Denon 4311ci can play loud. Would you really need an amp for maybe an increase of 2-4dbs? I hardly think it is cost effective at the price point.
    how much u pay for Marantz8801? It is 3499 on Amazon.
    To me even the EMOTIVA XPA-5 for 999 or even the higher models. Now I don't understand why you say only 2-4db gain when an AVR is rated at 140 WPC mostly 2 Channel and the AMP is 200 to 300 WPC ALL Channels driven. What am I missing here? Besides they say AMPs are discrete with no crosstalk or interference between the Channels and their Power Supplies have power to spare. :-) :-).
    Way too technical for me LOL. Thanks for your patience in educating me on the subject.
    Last edited by Audiolover458; 05-17-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Thanks Harro.

Audiolover,
    To help sort out the mystery of wattage and volume gain or db, I will generalize here so if anyone wishes to expound, please do.
    You can reach 100db with as little as 40 watts. Some factors such as speaker sensitivity, room gain, listening distance come into play. To get a 3db gain you have to double the wattage. So to go from 100db to 103db, in this example, you would need 80 watts. 103 to 106, 160 watts and so on. This again is somewhat generalised.

Exactly as loonytunes states. For every 3 dbs increase, you would double your watts. Now if the AVR can get you to 100db at 40 watts, why then would you add an amp except for more headroom for your volume. Which is why I stated you may want a higher quality AVR if your listening experience is 50/50 on music and home theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Harro View Post
    Exactly as loonytunes states. For every 3 dbs increase, you would double your watts. Now if the AVR can get you to 100db at 40 watts, why then would you add an amp except for more headroom for your volume. Which is why I stated you may want a higher quality AVR if your listening experience is 50/50 on music and home theater.
    Hmmm, thanks guys. Now I really need to read up on it. What is a higher quality AVR. The Marantz does not look like it has more power compared to your Denon or even my Onkyo. The Marantz is 135 Watts compared to 140 Watts for the Onkyo. I believe it is this HEADROOM that everyone thinks one needs for the Volume. I guess 3DB in addition to 100DB must be a lot higher than the ratio suggests 100:103?? So it still looks like getting a 999 5 channel amp is cheaper than the 3499 Marantz :-). My Onkyo processes everything and I do not need anything more than 5.1. I would only do 11.2 if I had a dedicated HT Room which I do not so does that not make more sense for me?

Audiolover, what model Onkyo are you running? What speakers are you currently running?

3db is a perceived increase in volume.
    Last edited by loonytunes; 05-17-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    Audiolover, what model Onkyo are you running? What speakers are you currently running?

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post

I am using an ONKYO TX-SR875 AVR. I was running the Infinity Crescendo CS3008s with them as Fronts. I have an Aperion Center and some POLK Dipole as back Surrounds. Yes, it is a very old setup. The Cs3008s lost their surrounds for the two MIDS on both the speakers so here I am trying to rebuild again. I Like value for money and I am trying to build this one again one time for the next 5 years at least and I would like it done in a manner where I dont touch it for as long as i can. I enjoy music and movies both and I want to experience what everyone calls clean, clear sound without putting in equipment I really do not need. Thank you again for your patience.
    I can say that when i turn it too loud the Tweeter on the CS3008s seems like it is going to pierce my ears. I cannot listen to them for too long. There is more of the high pitch echo around the actual sound of the material being viewed beyond 15 DB on the dial if you know what I mean ( the stuff that hurts your ears and does not let you listen for long periods at that volume). So when I raise the volume the gain is not in the material being played but this stuff around it that makes your ears hurt even more.