Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Axiom subs

What type of DSP are they doing? Parametric EQ?

Brad, you can read about them here:
    http://www.soundstage.com/traveler/traveler.htm

The article is a little vague as to what is exactly being done with the DSP. At almost twice the cost of a VTF-3MK2 for the E500, it would be interesting at what the performance gains are.

-curtis

My bad, it's EP500 and EP600!

Curtis, the article stated "Flat" response to 20hz for the EP500
    -1.5db anechoically....no room reinforcement! And 16hz for the EP600.

Bradjudy, I could not tell much concerning the method of DSP.

Ed

Mag...yeah...but the specs don't tell the whole story. Heck, the VTF-3MK2 is spec'd to 20hz +/-1.0db anechoic and it is $699.

-curtis

I know, I know.....don't let numbers rule! The real benefit of all the DSP stuff will be in the ability it allows to tailor the sound. Like the article said, the parameters are being constantly monitored for the lowest, loudest and cleanest bass possible at all times without inducing distortion or overload. It will come down to real-world evaluation(Craigsub!!)between competing models. It does not affect me....way too much $$$!

Ed

Holy cow that EP600 is big. Looks like at least 3.5 ft tall.

"In a nutshell, the subs digitize the incoming analog signal, and in the digital domain manipulate the signal to be ruler-flat and as extended as possible."

Sounds like what many sub folks are getting into these days (I know Velodyne has this now). Personally, I'm keeping my eye on AV123's R-DES since it's external and you can use it on any sub you want (Hsu, SVS, etc - I listened to Ron from SVS discuss R-DES with the primary engineer - good stuff). A sub that EQ's itself is probably the best for most people, but being a fiddling computer geek, I like the idea of hooking something up via USB and messing with the curves myself.

I guess I had a problem with the author's wording. He should have just said it was EQing the amp. "manipulate the signal to be ruler-flat"....the signal is already flat....it is the response you want to make flat.

That EP600 sure is big...but it looks cool. I could not put it in my livingroom though.

-curtis

Yeah....the signal should be flat to begin with. I'm still waiting for the user reviews of the new SVS 10" job to appear.

Gotta go change the "summer air" in my tires to "Winter air" now....

Ed

The new axiom subs are on their website for preorder.

I am curious to hear some user reviews once these get out in the real world!

A review would need to come from an "objective" source, say, someone not secretly affiliated with an audio company []

Ed

Mag,

OMG!! You're a VERY VERY bad man to EVER suggest that the objectivity of a review could EVER be compromised by a reviewer JUST 'cause he has his "hand in the cookie jar!" [][][]

Randy