Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Rythmik/Ascend Sub

Default Re: Custom Rythmik/Ascend Sub

Quote Originally Posted by loonytunes View Post
    If you do, and like the results, I'll buy the first one from you. 12" Rythmik in satin espresso. Feel free to PM me so as not to start a panic.
    This would really only be to satisfy my own curiosity. The logistics involved in having us offer fully assembled and finished bamboo enclosure Rythmik subwoofers is very complicated. Even if this company could offer these cabinets at this price, and assuming they are built well and use high quality bamboo, they would then have to be shipped to our cabinet maker for finishing. From there, then shipped to us for assembly, testing and packaging. Rythmik would, of course, also have to ship us the woofers and amps...

It is a logistics nightmare and will not be cost effective by any means. Best if you DIY them.

Definitely a niche product... perhaps a business opportunity for a skilled hobbyist?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I understand completely. I would still be interested in hearing your impressions if you did order one.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I am not sure how that is even possible at that price. Even in bulk quantities, just 1 sheet of 4 x 8 bamboo we purchase costs more than what they are asking for the entire assembled cabinet - and no speaker company even comes close to purchasing as much bamboo as we do. I have sampled bamboo directly from nearly every manufacturer producing it.

Perhaps it is just one single sample cabinet that they made and are trying to get rid of it?
    I came across the site a couple of months ago. Someone from a forum mentioned that this was a nice cabinent to start with when trying to built a sealed sub. It sounded like they thought it was a quality made cabinet and obviously they liked the idea of having it for the same reasons you chose to build the Sierra cabinet out of bamboo. Also, it sounded like this is something that many in the DIY community use as a starting cabinent and the site regularly stock it. I didn't look into it much further since I would want at cabinent for at least a 15 inch driver, in my size room. Furthermore, it is best to likely just go with a ported design, for the added efficient to keep it economical. That is way out of my league to do DIY. I might be able to do a simple sealed DIY sub, but definitely not a ported sub.
    Last edited by N Boros; 09-26-2015 at 07:29 AM.

I have contacted Jim Salk about a Rythmik/Salk Sub. I'll probably end up going this route as the specs are the same unless Dave changes his mind. I would think that anyone who has spent the amount I have for Raal Towers would be more than willing to spend to money for a bamboo sub. Maybe if Dave offered one sealed & vented version to see how many might be interested, he might be surprized how many might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    I have contacted Jim Salk about a Rythmik/Salk Sub. I'll probably end up going this route as the specs are the same unless Dave changes his mind. I would think that anyone who has spent the amount I have for Raal Towers would be more than willing to spend to money for a bamboo sub. Maybe if Dave offered one sealed & vented version to see how many might be interested, he might be surprized how many might be interested.
    I'd be curious as to what Jim will charge you for this. Please let me know (privately of course).

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Some feedback on building a custom salk/rythmik sub that you mght be interested in. This is superior to a total bamboo build. The two different materials have different resonant frequencies. So they tend to dampen each other, reducing cabinet resonance in the process.

Solid bamboo is no problem. However, there is a better alternative.

Bamboo comes in several thicknesses. We use mostly ¾” here. It is about 10 times more expensive than MDF, so there is a cost involved. But it works fine for speaker cabinets.

As for subs, our normal 12” sub walls are 1” thick. Our normal 15” sub wall is 1 ½” thick. You could purchase 1” bamboo for the 12” subs and glue two ¾” thickness panels together for the 15” subs. But a less costly way of doing it is to, for example, sandwich ¾” bamboo with ¼” MDF (on the internal side) to come up with the required thickness.

This is actually superior to a total bamboo build. The reason is that the two different materials have different resonant frequencies. So they tend to dampen each other, reducing cabinet resonance in the process.

For subs, this is important since there is a lot of energy inside a subwoofer cabinet when playing deep bass.

So, the answer to your question is “yes, we can do solid bamboo.” But there is an even better alternative that costs a bit less.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Some feedback on building a custom salk/rythmik sub that you mght be interested in. This is superior to a total bamboo build. The two different materials have different resonant frequencies. So they tend to dampen each other, reducing cabinet resonance in the process.

Solid bamboo is no problem. However, there is a better alternative.

Bamboo comes in several thicknesses. We use mostly ¾” here. It is about 10 times more expensive than MDF, so there is a cost involved. But it works fine for speaker cabinets.

As for subs, our normal 12” sub walls are 1” thick. Our normal 15” sub wall is 1 ½” thick. You could purchase 1” bamboo for the 12” subs and glue two ¾” thickness panels together for the 15” subs. But a less costly way of doing it is to, for example, sandwich ¾” bamboo with ¼” MDF (on the internal side) to come up with the required thickness.

This is actually superior to a total bamboo build. The reason is that the two different materials have different resonant frequencies. So they tend to dampen each other, reducing cabinet resonance in the process.

For subs, this is important since there is a lot of energy inside a subwoofer cabinet when playing deep bass.

So, the answer to your question is “yes, we can do solid bamboo.” But there is an even better alternative that costs a bit less.
    Ok Chops, please clarify for me!

Are you quoting someone here, i.e. Jim Salk, or making your own statement on this? Do you build cabinets?

Just trying to put your post into perspective.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Info from e-mail I received from Jim at Salk Audio

I am in the process to finalize my order for a custom Rythmik/Salk F15HP.

It will be 3/4" MDF sandwiched with 3/4" Bamboo on the out side.
    I have been told this is superior to a total bamboo build. The reason is
    that the two different materials have different resonant frequencies. So
    they tend to dampen each other, reducing cabinet resonance in the
    process.

It makes sense to me that this would create a better sounding sub than a
    total bamboo build. The cost savings verse a total bamboo build is not that much more.

Would love some feedback

I have my suspicions on whether this is true or not. If it was, why aren't other sub manufacturers doing this with other materials? Especially since it is not difficult to do.