Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Custom Rythmik/Ascend Sub

Default Re: Custom Rythmik/Ascend Sub

Now that I think about this some more....you could achieve the same thing with two different thicknesses of MDF. Different thickness of a material will also change its resonant frequency.
    -curtis

Curtis thanks for the feed back.

I didn't know that sandwiching to different thicknesses of the particular type of material like MDF iwould also reduce resonant frequency.

Maybe I’m over analyzing this and should be happy and blessed to have a wife that says get what you want even if the sub is going to be 19.5” W X 24” D X 25.5’ H.

I just want to get it right the 1st time like my Raal Towers. My wife wants me to get 2 more for surrounds.

Based on my back ground in the music field. I know that different types of metal, wood, plastic, etc. all vibrate/resonant at different frequencies/pitches. Also, laminating or layering the same type of wood with the grain in different directions does the samething.

The customize Salk/Rythmik F15HP comes standard with a 1 1/2’’ of MDF for the sub wall
    to reduce cabinet resonance so having ¾” of MDF sandwiched with ¾’ of bamboo on the outside
    would make me think that this should only reduce the resonance further as different types wood resonant at different frequencies & should canel each other out. Better than a total bamboo
    build.

Going back to my music background, there may be a point that not having enough resonance might impact the sound. I found this out when having a brass instrument built. The sound became almost
    lifeless with some of the metals I was testing.

I'd say resonance in a speaker cabinet is never a good thing. An instrument makes music, the resonance created by its building material contributes to the timbre. A speaker reproduces music, you do not want the cabinet to have resonance, otherwise you are adding a coloration not present in the original sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Based on my back ground in the music field. I know that different types of metal, wood, plastic, etc. all vibrate/resonant at different frequencies/pitches. Also, laminating or layering the same type of wood with the grain in different directions does the samething.

The customize Salk/Rythmik F15HP comes standard with a 1 1/2’’ of MDF for the sub wall
    to reduce cabinet resonance so having ¾” of MDF sandwiched with ¾’ of bamboo on the outside
    would make me think that this should only reduce the resonance further as different types wood resonant at different frequencies & should canel each other out. Better than a total bamboo
    build.
    The material itself isn't the sole basis for the resonant frequency, it is also the size and mass. Those same materials you mention also "vibrate/resonant at different frequencies/pitches" differently in different thickness, shapes, etc.

Did Salk tell you what the resonant frequencies are for the materials?
    Last edited by curtis; 11-24-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    -curtis

Curtis,

[Salk has not mentioned what the resonant frequencies are for the materials. I sent them an e-mail last night asking this question. With Thanksgiving I may not hear back till the beginning of next week.

I have finalized the dimensions which will create the same volume, along with the direction of the bamboo grain to match my Raal Towers. Salk is quite flexible with dimensions as long as the volume stays the same. It will be down firing as I have dogs.

The last part is going to be tricky has I do not have a sample of the bamboo Satin dark cherry finish and will need to make a high quality picture with white background for Salk to use to match.

I did contact Rythmik about building me a sub with bamboo and they told me to contact Salk.

Salk has been great to work with and the cost for the ¾” bamboo on the outside is going to cost me around 30% more than the Rythmik version. A total bamboo build does not cost much more.

I know Salk does great work, and is great to work with.

I just highly doubt the actual benefit of the proposed MDF/bamboo configuration compared to an all MDF or all bamboo solution.
    -curtis

Chops,

Did you end up with the cabinet? I'm curios how it turned out if at all.

Yes, I have ordered and the cabinet is finished waiting for the 3rd sealer coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Yes, I have ordered and the cabinet is finished waiting for the 3rd sealer coat.
    What ever happened with this? Did you get the sub?