Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about noticeable abnormal sub noise...normal??

Default Re: Question about noticeable abnormal sub noise...normal??

Do you mean the volume knob on the back of the sub is turned all of the way up? I've never thought that was recommended. Try the sub level lower and possibly turning up the sub channel level on the receiver
    Nate

Its not reccomended. I dont USE it like that, I just have the system paused at a particular point so there is silence aside from that noise and use the volume knob to turn it up enough to hear so I can run around and start unplugging things. But either way, is it normal to expect dead silence when the knob is set to 3 oclock and the listening level is loud but not quite reference? SHould it be silent at the sub it self or just not be audible from the LP?

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know. It sounds like me with my plasma. I can hear the buzz when everything else is off. Apparently it's normal though.
    Does the sub still make the same sound with the RCA cable to the sub unplugged? Hopefully Dave or someone who owns this sub can tell you if this is normal.
    Nate

You shouldnt hear any unusual sound at LP. I just cant imagine hearing a hum at LP specialy while playing music or watching movie.
    If you hear noise (hum)when your sub vol knob is turned up, turn it down till the noise is lower and adjust at AVR.
    As with your wind noise, i think you should isolate whether that has to do while playing music or watching movie. Do you hear that wind noise with everything disconnected except power? With a RCA in? With music Playing?

IM still messing with it. I listened yesterday and at the LP with a good volume, its not discernible unless you really know what you are listening for. Its really hard to isolate because there is a very strict set of parameters to make it happen including volume. It has to be getting a feed from LFE. RCA Cable cannot be unplugged. It cannot be 'paused' or 'muted' or it won't make the noise. It might be perfectly normal....or rather, acceptable. Im going to try one more thing that involvs unplugging ALL audio cables from the back and all HDMI cables aside from the one source I happen to be using. If that doesn't solve it, Ill try killing the breaker to every light in that room to remove the possiblity of dimmers being an issue. The system is on its own circuit so thats an easy thing to test. There is a noticeable hum in the beggining of "Frozen" but its when the singing first starts and I think it goes away. I'm almost 100% positive its in the soundtrack somehow since its starts literally a second or two before the rest of the audio. Its like when the audio track goes 'live'. Very odd. Im probably being way too anal.

Quote Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
    IM still messing with it. I listened yesterday and at the LP with a good volume, its not discernible unless you really know what you are listening for. Its really hard to isolate because there is a very strict set of parameters to make it happen including volume. It has to be getting a feed from LFE. RCA Cable cannot be unplugged. It cannot be 'paused' or 'muted' or it won't make the noise. It might be perfectly normal....or rather, acceptable. Im going to try one more thing that involvs unplugging ALL audio cables from the back and all HDMI cables aside from the one source I happen to be using. If that doesn't solve it, Ill try killing the breaker to every light in that room to remove the possiblity of dimmers being an issue. The system is on its own circuit so thats an easy thing to test. There is a noticeable hum in the beggining of "Frozen" but its when the singing first starts and I think it goes away. I'm almost 100% positive its in the soundtrack somehow since its starts literally a second or two before the rest of the audio. Its like when the audio track goes 'live'. Very odd. Im probably being way too anal.
    Ok, if you cant reproduce that while having cable off, paused or mute, then at least it sounds like it only happends when it is playing and not due to cable or electrical.

It sounds like the sound your are hearing is from the LFE.
    I remember one time i was using my headphone and i adjusted the bass which in my avr was 50hz because the headphone had weakbass. The next day, when i switched it back to speaker without turning down the bass, i noticed the sound was odd and it seemed like a hum, but slighly different. I then realise that the bass was set 6 db higher. So the extra bass had caused that unusual noise. It may not necessarly be the system, but the room it self. I think it might even be flutter echo at those low frequencies.

Im running my Audyssey hotter than it wants, and you are the second person to mention LFE noise. So...I could be hearing something normal or just an artifact of my settings. You have to remembe that I have never ever ever had a 'system' like this, so im not well versed in normal.

Also, if you need to have LFE turn up in order to feel the bass, make sure your sub is not having phase issue with the front. If sub is out of phase it will sound like a week sub, and you may think you need to turn it, but the truth lies on the phase.

I dont follow. My subs are both in the front. One on each side. Can they still have phase issues there? Does it really matter as long as both subs are set to the same phase?

Of course. The best it to play with your speaker Distance. Different crossover requires different distance. Make sure you dont have a null at your listening position. You can tried this by palaying with the subs only and walk around the room to see if you will hear a stronger bass at other areas.
    The best is to measure it.