Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about noticeable abnormal sub noise...normal??

Default Question about noticeable abnormal sub noise...normal??

I have a pair of LV12 subs. When listening to one particular movie, there is a very noticeable 'whirring' noise coming from the subs. Its not a hum or a whine.....its in between and sounds like background wind noise but its not. What in the world is it and how do I stop if its not normal? There is also a 'hum' although very subtle. Im trying to verify if it does it with just this movie or what.

When the movie is PAUSED OR MUTED there is no noise whatsoever. It seems to do it with both BD and Dish sources. What is the deal???
    Last edited by brazosdog02; 04-08-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: Question about noticeable abnormal sub noise...normal??

Can you tell us the name of the movie?

The movie is Frozen. I have kids...we watch that thing all the time. I simply attributed the noise to background wind but it seems to do it on quiet scenes that are not outdoors and it does it from my cable box as well. Both sources exhibit it and both have LFE feeds. Not sure how to troubleshoot. I have ALL of my AV equipment on a single 20A circuit, but last night I moved the subs to a separate circuit....I can't tell if that had any effect and Im not sure this is even ground loop noise since it goes away when paused or muted. No idea how to troubleshoot it or if its just normal. Its a strange white noise.

Quote Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post
    The movie is Frozen. I have kids...we watch that thing all the time. I simply attributed the noise to background wind but it seems to do it on quiet scenes that are not outdoors and it does it from my cable box as well. Both sources exhibit it and both have LFE feeds. Not sure how to troubleshoot. I have ALL of my AV equipment on a single 20A circuit, but last night I moved the subs to a separate circuit....I can't tell if that had any effect and Im not sure this is even ground loop noise since it goes away when paused or muted. No idea how to troubleshoot it or if its just normal. Its a strange white noise.
    If you are hearing this background noise from Frozen using two different sources (DVD and cable), it is in the soundtrack. Speakers and subwoofers simply reproduce what is being sent to them. If there was something wrong your equipment, you would hear this same noise regardless of what movies was being played and it would be continuous.

If you had a ground loop, you would hear it throughout any source being played and even with no source.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No...thats not what I meant. I mean i get the noise from the BD watching Frozen, but I get it from Cable box too....when watching anything. I mean that the noise is independant of the movie being player. Sorry.

The noise is continuous as long as I do not mute or pause a movie or cable box. When paused or muted...all noise stops...even the white noise sound.

So, the noise coming through the Sub is either normal, or it is resulting from something the AVR is doing. I guess teh AVR could be 'defective' but its new and not cheap. It may have done this all along, but since I have not listened to my system at these levels before, I did not notice it. Perhaps another lead on Audyssey causing it is valid.
    Last edited by brazosdog02; 04-09-2014 at 12:18 PM.

No...thats not what I meant. I mean i get the noise from the BD watching Frozen, but I get it from Cable box too....when watching anything. I mean that the noise is independant of the movie being player. Sorry.

The noise is continuous as long as I do not mute or pause a movie or cable box. When paused or muted...all noise stops...even the white noise sound.

So, the noise coming through the Sub is either normal, or it is resulting from something the AVR is doing. I guess teh AVR could be 'defective' but its new and not cheap. It may have done this all along, but since I have not listened to my system at these levels before, I did not notice it. Perhaps another lead on Audyssey causing it is valid.
    Are you only hearing this while watching Frozen?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

No. It doesn't seem to matter what im watching. If there is an LFE feed, I can hear it, but it has to be up around -25 or louder to hear clearly.

I had a chance to mess with it more. Turning off Audyssey does not make it go away. It diminishes it somewhat though. TUrning the trim levels on the sub down from -.5 also diminishes it. The Volume on the subs themselves are set to about 2 and 3 oclock on each sub. Im able to 'pause' previews and get it to make the noise. At reference levels, you can hear this white noise sound EASILY from 15' away. I guess its normal. I have moved wires and played with settings. I can't get it to go away. No other speakers make the noise. Even at the beginning of the movie, when it kicks in, there is also a hum that is audible. I don't know. Im not happy about it because its audible and Im not sure it should be but I don't know what else to do. Is the AVR to blame? I don't think I should have to turn off all of the audyssey stuff and turn the sub volume down to make it go away so that you can't hear it at movie listening levels.

I had a chance to mess with it more. Turning off Audyssey does not make it go away. It diminishes it somewhat though. TUrning the trim levels on the sub down from -.5 also diminishes it. The Volume on the subs themselves are set to about 2 and 3 oclock on each sub. Im able to 'pause' previews and get it to make the noise. At reference levels, you can hear this white noise sound EASILY from 15' away. I guess its normal. I have moved wires and played with settings. I can't get it to go away. No other speakers make the noise. Even at the beginning of the movie, when it kicks in, there is also a hum that is audible. I don't know. Im not happy about it because its audible and Im not sure it should be but I don't know what else to do. Is the AVR to blame? I don't think I should have to turn off all of the audyssey stuff and turn the sub volume down to make it go away so that you can't hear it at movie listening levels.
    Can you try one sub at a time? It doesn't seem likely that both subs are defective.
    Nate

I tried one sub at a time. While it was doing it, I also unplugged every electrical device from the power strip. ALL of my AV equipment is on the same power strip on a dedicated outlet. I did not unplug every single speaker wire from the back of the AVR.

With the volume set to moderate level and the SUB volume turned to max, the white noise seems to have some sort of 'hum' component. Its pretty faint. Teh white noise is pretty faint. Maybe Im just overly sensitive to it. Rythmik says they have had no issues, but I find it hard to believe the sub is totally silent at full volume levels.

I don't know and I have no way of having anyone test this subs for the same hissing noise. Since both are doing it, I do NOT think it is the sub. I think the sub is reproducing what it is getting but I don't know how to verify that a 1000 dollar AVR that is brand new has gone bad in 3 months either.

Is that even possible? IM at a loss. If you turn the subs to the side, the noise is not quite audible from the listening position, but they don't work as well that way. I guess its totally normal. Im at a loss. I guess I expect total silence from it aside from whats on the soundtrack but maybe thats not realistic.

ANything else to try before contacting Denon? IS it realistic to set the sub volume to full and the AVR to reference level and expect absolute silence aside from the soundtrack? I mean really? NO ONE has ever experienced this noise from an LV12? Its not loud, but it is noticable from LP if you have already noticed it.
    Last edited by brazosdog02; 04-11-2014 at 07:00 PM.