Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Re: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

I'm in the market and intrigued by the Emotiva. I was looking hard at the Denon.

Unfortunately, I'm in the market because the HDMI card in my Onkyo has failed for the second time, leaving me with a brick. I'm not willing to put hundreds of dollars in repair into it. My son bought an Onkyo on my recommendation and guess what? - the HDMI card in it also failed. Luckily his was still under warranty. I loved my Onkyo before it died. I was aware of the problem and thought it might be overstated. It looks like I was wrong.

Best of luck on your search.

I have found the Yamaha Aventage series starting with the 8xx and up to be very worthwhile.In fact those receivers and the 8xx specifically was named the best receiver under 1k by Audioholics and they compared 10 units including the Denon.Make sure you get preamp outs as you will then be able to upgrade amplification down the road.I use a Emotiva UPA 200.Yep,a $349 amp and it sounds as good as my Rotel every time and is just as reliable.The preamp in that unit is very good and all processing is done correctly.
    Personally,it's my favorite recommendation.And works well with any speaker though I recommend Ascend.Thought I throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by paulphoosreal View Post
    I have found the Yamaha Aventage series starting with the 8xx and up to be very worthwhile.In fact those receivers and the 8xx specifically was named the best receiver under 1k by Audioholics and they compared 10 units including the Denon.
    Nothing against the Yamaha, but that comparison was based on MSRPs, not street prices. There's quite a jump in features from Denon X3000 included in the comparison to X4000 (preouts, Audyssey XT32), and the latter can be had under 1K.

I realize that.But they considered performance as well as features and found the Yamaha outperformed the Denon. Yes,the Denon has more power but with preouts you can adjust for that.I believe it comes down to what experience you've had with Denon vs Yamaha and IMHO Yamaha has been a better experience for me and many of my clients.You pick your better unit and I pick mine.That's what makes this hobby so much fun!

I realize that.But they considered performance as well as features and found the Yamaha outperformed the Denon. Yes,the Denon has more power but with preouts you can adjust for that.I believe it comes down to what experience you've had with Denon vs Yamaha and IMHO Yamaha has been a better experience for me and many of my clients.You pick your better unit and I pick mine.That's what makes this hobby so much fun!
    Again, I have nothing against the Yamaha, but that comparison was purely feature-based and wasn't a proper review of the units. They never even had them on hand, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information about one outperforming the other. The only point I was trying to make is that the street prices of the more expensive models still fit within the OP's budget and the Denon model comes out even if not ahead of the Yamaha in terms of features.

I realize what you're saying but I do this for a living.We all have our preferences as to what of anything we like.My point is that in real world experience I find the Yammies to offer better build quality,reliability ans ease of operation.Yes,I've stripped some models down.The power supply is a biggie for me,along with circuit boards and op-amps quality.I and this is just my opinion,feel that Yamaha does a better job of maximizing all components over 1 or 2 areas as I frind with most of the others.Just IMHO.In a double blind test of every receiver out there that is working correctly I seriously doubt anyone could properly identify what unit is playing.I.E.Clarks study!

I realize what you're saying but I do this for a living.We all have our preferences as to what of anything we like.My point is that in real world experience I find the Yammies to offer better build quality,reliability ans ease of operation.Yes,I've stripped some models down.The power supply is a biggie for me,along with circuit boards and op-amps quality.I and this is just my opinion,feel that Yamaha does a better job of maximizing all components over 1 or 2 areas as I frind with most of the others.Just IMHO.In a double blind test of every receiver out there that is working correctly I seriously doubt anyone could properly identify what unit is playing.I.E.Clarks study!
    Fair enough. In my mind, since they do most likely sound the same and have similar reliability track records, what really matters is the value you place on RC. To me it makes a much bigger difference than marginal differences in components. Having tried advanced versions of MCACC and YPAO, I can definitely say I prefer XT32+Pro in my environment and quite a lot of people agree with me.

Aha! Now I find the reason for your preference.You are a sophisticated listener,yet,I've yet to find a basic equalization program that can beat careful system set-up and adjustment.In other words due to Audessy the Denon is superior? Certainly for some enthusiasts that program can be a life saver.But we both know that the programs are seriously flawed from a perfection standpoint.However,I will give you the point that Audessy has the better optimization program.I have enjoyed our brief discourse on receivers.Feel free to send a message when other topics arise or more discussion on receivers,etc.As Dave puts it best-Good listening.And I am always open to learn more about thios wonderful hobby of ours.

Any thoughts on Pioneer's Elite line of receivers?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    I can certainly second the recommendation for the Denon X4000.

One reason for suggesting that model over the X3000 or lower models is because it includes the highest consumer level of Audyssey, which is Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + Sub EQ HT. Not everyone is a fan of auto EQ/"room correction", but XT32 + Sub EQ HT, in my experience, has been a very impressive system.

The X4000 can also drive a maximum of 9 speakers. It can only power 7 itself, but you can add an additional 2-channel amp and make use of a 9 speaker setup if you ever want to. Personally, I've grown very fond of DTS Neo:X and the Front Wide channels. I haven't found any of the Front Height programs particularly compelling, but that's strictly one man's opinion But with the X4000, you'd have the option of having a standard 7 speaker setup plus the Front Wide channels to make 9 speakers in total, and you could then use the DTS Neo:X or Audyssey DSX listening modes. You can also configure those 9 channels however you'd like: standard 5 speakers plus Front Wides and Front Heights, standard 7 speakers plus Front Heights, or standard 7 speakers plus Front Wides, like I mentioned.

If you buy a refurbished unit from accessories4less.com : http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html , then you're well within your budget.

In case you're not familiar, A4L is a fully authorized refurbished retailer for quite a few brands. And they get their stock directly from the manufacturers. There's no shady dealings going on - no buying excess stock from stores. As such, you get a full manufacturer's 1 year warranty on all products sold at accessories4less. No 90 day warranty BS. And you've got the full backing of the manufacturers since it is their stock and their professional refurbishments. You'll also often find that the products sold at A4L are actually completely brand new - not even refurbished or ever opened - and the manufacturer is simply clearing out stock. So A4L is a great place from which to buy

Since you mentioned Onkyo - I've been an Onkyo fan for many years, but I'm becoming less and less of a fan every year as they continue to drop the features that interest me the most in favour of more and more wireless features that don't particularly interest me.

That said, if you go back a couple of years to models from 2 or 3 years ago, there are some really nice offerings:

The TX-NR818 is still feature-packed in all the ways that *I would want, and it's very affordable these days: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Much like the Denon X4000, you can add a 2-channel amp and run 9 speakers. The 818 remains one of the least expensive AV Receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 onboard, although it does NOT have SubEQ HT. SubEQ HT gives you independent automatic setup and EQ of 2 subwoofer, in case you're wondering what it's all about. On the 818, the subwoofer channels are just set up in mono as usual.

The TX-NR1010: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html bumps you up to THX Ultra2 Certification and dual independent HDMI outputs if you want to feed two displays two different sources simultaneously. I used to dig a couple of the THX Listening Modes, and Onkyo/Integra are about the only consumer brand still bothering to pay THX for their certification (although they appear to be dropping that, too, in 2014). But I've pretty much transitioned over to DTS Neo:X for everything these days. That's just me, though

I use an Onkyo TX-NR5010 myself. If you want to run 11 speakers like I do, you'll need to go over your $1000 budget. Top choices there would be the Denon AVR-4510CI and the Onkyo TX-NR3010. They're both around $1400 these days, which is a darn good price, but certainly over your budget.

Overall, though, I'd say the X4000 from Denon is the easiest recommendation. Unless you REALLY want THX certification for those THX Listening Modes, the X4000 has every other feature that I would personally want or recommend to anyone else
    I'm giving the Denon X4000 due consideration; what is the heat output like on this unit? Is the X4311 any more power efficient? Besides the feature differences, would I notice any sound quality difference in these units? What are recommended online stores to purchase new Denon units from?

Thanks!