Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

Default Re: Receiver Recommendations for Sierra-2

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterJ View Post
    I'll take a look, thanks. How is Emotiva's quality track record?
    The UMC 1 processor had it's problems. I think they have about fully recovered from that now. Also, they have Outlaw people working with them now if I recall correctly. I'm looking forward to the upcoming reviews because it's a product I myself am now eyeing, instead of going separates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    My guess is that when the two are operating within their normal parameters, the only difference will be their RC algorithms.
    Yes, yes, why does that not surprise me? I suspect that even with room correction off there will be very audible differences in sound presentation, probably in Emotiva's favour. But the room correction of the Denon may level the playing field. We'll soon see!
    Last edited by markie; 03-24-2014 at 10:38 AM.

That Emotiva is definitely intriguing. Looks like a ship date is now April 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    I suspect that even with room correction off there will be very audible differences in sound presentation, probably in Emotiva's favour.
    And I suspect those differences would immediately vanish in an ABX.

Is Denon still produced in Japan with Japanese components? Where does Emotiva produce and source their units?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMasterJ View Post
    Is Denon still produced in Japan with Japanese components? Where does Emotiva produce and source their units?
    China for both, except Denon flagship models (4311, 4520).

I have a Denon 4311 and it drives my Sierra towers great. If I were in the market today, I'd probably go with the X4000. It has Audyssey XT32 and can do 4K.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    And I suspect those differences would immediately vanish in an ABX.
    I agree with this assessment, although in a sighted test I'd probably prefer the Denon.

Jay

Emotiva better than the Denon for something other than amps? Have you kept up with all the issues - one broken promise after another and all the FUD posted by their employees in their forums. Then there are the bans for those trying to get answers to legitimate questions. If someone is saying that their room correction - EmoQ - system is better than Audyssey then that is a post of a fanboy, not someone who has researched the two techs. Audible difference in favor of the Emotiva vs. Denon with or without room correction is the statement I am basing that comment on. Sorry I don't mean to be rude but come on - seriously? That's almost like saying their speakers are better than Dave's
    Last edited by smurraybhm; 03-24-2014 at 09:59 AM.

I never owned Emotiva products, but they are known to have a very good bang for buck factor, with good customer satisfaction, which is why I am interested. I visit the Emotiva forum only occasionally so no I'm not that familiar with all the issues. On the other hand I'm also attracted to Marantz and Denon for sound quality reputation and relative reliability. I know, I know, some people say there are no differences in sound between receivers which are level matched and with digital sound processing off. But with different power supply, dac, capacitors, preamp stage, amplifier, output stage, etc, there is ample room for receivers to sound differently ime.

In short I believe the testimony of experienced listeners and reviewers who have compared the sound of receivers over lengthy listening sessions. Same goes for other comparisons like the sound of an Oppo Blu ray player compared to lower end players, etc.

But enter in things like room correction and (perhaps especially) dynamic equalization and the goalposts can change drastically. What Audyssey multiEQ brings to the table may well make it more desirable than the Emotiva Fusion and its (in all likelihood) lesser EmoQ system.

But ignoring that particular feature, yes I still predict that, for the money, the Emotiva receiver will outclass the Denon in the sound department. If that has made anyone upset, sorry. My fists are not clenched, I have no horse in this race. This relative dummy would be just as happy to be proven wrong than right, that's who I am.

Mark

Mark - thanks for the civil response about the Fusion 8100 being superior to the other receivers discussed - at least your honest enough to say you haven't owned one. Emotiva products like the UMC-1 have been very buggy and there are a heck of a lot more pro reviews that give Denon and Marantz high scores for more than just sound. To me it goes back to customer support - thumbs up on Emo's amps, but with their attempts to compete on the pre or receiver end they leave a lot to be desired in both support and quality. One reason I do business with Ascend is for customer support and quality products. Heck I am even willing to wait 3 months (maybe more?) to get my speaker from Ascend - HINT!!! - Dave. You can't make decisions on Emo products by reading their forums, Emo has the reputation of deleting negative posts and banning posters who question or post a less then positive experience with their products. Venture over to AVS (one example) and do some reading, it is entertaining to say the least. Please note that isn't saying the amps aren't good - because they are.

As an owner of 4 Oppo blu-ray players (not a typo) I can tell you when passing a digital signal they all sound the same - yes even compared to those lower end blu-ray players - and any reviewer worth their salt would say the same. If you are talking about analog that is a whole different beast since you have superior DAC in the 95/105. The benefits of that DAC would only be audible when listing to 2 channel material via analog inputs. The 105 also offers improved performance for headphones. Please note this info is available on Oppo's website. Their CSRs will tell you what I have said, plus other owners of Oppo products. Don't confuse their price with superior sound under all circumstances, people like myself buy Oppo for many reasons - like that superior customer service I mentioned above and their ability to do many other things other than just play a blu-ray.

Key is do your homework and buy what makes you happy. In the end it's the buyer who has to listen to it
    Last edited by smurraybhm; 03-24-2014 at 12:12 PM.