Thread: smoke and soot damage question

Default smoke and soot damage question

We suffered a house fire this week and our garage was destroyed and the adjacent room which housed my 5 month old sierra 1s had much smoke and soot damage. The restoration company has removed everything from the house for cleaning. When my Sierras return is there anything I should look for or can do to further clean the drivers or grills? Could it affect performance? By the way we are all safe. Thanks

Default Re: smoke and soot damage question

Quote Originally Posted by mikepost View Post
    We suffered a house fire this week and our garage was destroyed and the adjacent room which housed my 5 month old sierra 1s had much smoke and soot damage. The restoration company has removed everything from the house for cleaning. When my Sierras return is there anything I should look for or can do to further clean the drivers or grills? Could it affect performance? By the way we are all safe. Thanks
    So sorry I missed this and I am very happy that you are all safe. Everything else is really just "stuff" -- well, aside from your Sierra-1

Smoke / soot should not damage the speakers unless it is very humid or the speakers also get moisture on them, in which case the soot might become corrosive and eat away at both external and internal components.

Best thing to do is visually examine the drivers, make sure they are clean with no discoloring. After that, if they sound good -- you should be good to go.

Good luck!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave. My Sierra's have yet to return home, but hopefully soon. I suppose if the drivers have damage I could get Sierra 2 upgrades. Can't believe how much I have missed them. My headphones are still in lockdown as well so I've had to listen to my Kindle for tunes. Sierra withdrawal shakes setting in. Since my surround cubes were torched and Ascend has a sale, it may be time to shop. Thanks for your concern Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepost View Post
    I suppose if the drivers have damage I could get Sierra 2 upgrades. Can't believe how much I have missed them. My headphones are still in lockdown as well so I've had to listen to my Kindle for tunes. Sierra withdrawal shakes setting in. Since my surround cubes were torched and Ascend has a sale, it may be time to shop. Thanks for your concern Dave.
    You will have music again soon Oh, and get the Sierra-2 upgrades even if your Sierra-1 come back perfect

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com