Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F15 to FV15HP for 80% music 20% movies. Good idea?

Default Re: F15 to FV15HP for 80% music 20% movies. Good idea?

I haven't been able to test pops sub yet but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone knows if the issues from the audioholics review of the fv15hp were ever addressed? I think I read something about the limiter over reacting, port noise, and inaccurate controls. I realize it was a prototype so I assume all that was fixed before it went on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    I haven't been able to test pops sub yet but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone knows if the issues from the audioholics review of the fv15hp were ever addressed? I think I read something about the limiter over reacting, port noise, and inaccurate controls. I realize it was a prototype so I assume all that was fixed before it went on sale.
    There was some talk about that somewhere.

I'm not sure how a limiter can "over react". It is suppose to protect, and if you are always bumping up against the limiter, then you you need more sub.

Port noise can be an issue at the highest output at lower frequencies...again, if it is an issue, you need more sub.

I don't think the controls were "innacurate"...but maybe confusing.

I have not read about any problems with the sub in other forums...it seems to be pretty bullet proof.
    -curtis

I'm not too worried. Too many people seem to like it for there to be anything that bad. Apparently it trades blows with svs' top of the line $2000 sub. Pretty impressive.

I am not aware of any issues with the FV15HP. We have sold a very significant number of these subs since Feb 2011 and I honestly can not recall even a single complaint from a customer (other than the occasional wife complaint of it being a bit large) This is simply a fantastic subwoofer -- best in class in my professional opinion.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

sounds promising. can anyone confirm or deny whether there's a noticeable loss of sound quality in music compared to a sealed sub like my f15? assuming the price was the same between an f15hp and an fv15hp is there any compelling reason to avoid ports? sorry if this has been done to death but i figure if anyone can make a "movie sub" sound musical it would be rythmik.

I'm not too worried. Too many people seem to like it for there to be anything that bad. Apparently it trades blows with svs' top of the line $2000 sub. Pretty impressive.
    I think it is by far the best sub at this price point, and that is not because we sell them -- we sell them because I feel this way...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

How closely does the black matte finish match the black matte on the sierra towers?

How closely does the black matte finish match the black matte on the sierra towers?
    The black matte finish on the Sierra Towers is a higher quality painted finish while the subwoofers are a PVC wrap (same as our 340's / 170's / 200's etc.) Up close you can see differences but from a few feet away -- they look identical.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

sounds promising. can anyone confirm or deny whether there's a noticeable loss of sound quality in music compared to a sealed sub like my f15? assuming the price was the same between an f15hp and an fv15hp is there any compelling reason to avoid ports? sorry if this has been done to death but i figure if anyone can make a "movie sub" sound musical it would be rythmik.
    I'd love to hear feedback on this, too - I need to make the same decision very shortly.

As an aside, how would 2x F15HP subs sound relative to one FV15HP? Would you get the best of both worlds (output, tightness & low freq extension), in theory?

I've also heard people mention the overall bass response in the room is usually better if the bass is coming from two sources (two subs) - does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Edit: I should say I'll be more like 50%/50% movies/music in a 320 sq ft room.
    Last edited by TyCanadian; 08-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TyCanadian View Post

As an aside, how would 2x F15HP subs sound relative to one FV15HP? Would you get the best of both worlds (output, tightness & low freq extension), in theory?

I've also heard people mention the overall bass response in the room is usually better if the bass is coming from two sources (two subs) - does anyone have experience with this?
    This is absolutely true, and well documented.
    -curtis