Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Default Re: Help with a new 2 channel amp

I'll rock the boat here. I used to own some expensive and heavy Class A/B amplifiers. People think they can hear the difference between solid state amplifiers, but if you blind them, it's all fantasy. You can hear the difference when there's distortion (tube amplifiers). Otherwise, the role of the amplifier is to be transparent. And solid state amplifiers are all essentially transparent. Find an amplifier that has the stability and power output you need and don't look back.

I recommend you do a little reading on psychoacoustics and amplifiers. All the audiophiles insist that their ears are superhuman and they perceive differences. But psychoacoustics is like that. Even when there is no difference, you will perceive one.

I switched to Class D amplifiers to save my back from lifting 80-pound monoliths. I built some out of ICEpower and Abletec modules. And I have no regrets. Human ears cannot hear the distortions of class D switching.
    Last edited by bkdc; 03-03-2014 at 11:26 AM.

So with that said, the Emotiva amps should sound as good and the same as any other Hifi amp?
    I am guessing that it's my preamp {emotiva usp-1} that has the sound change then......Because the Harmon Kardon HK3490 sounds better to my ears than the USP-1 and XPA-2 set up.. The HK3490 doesn't sound as bright..
    So we established that amps sound the same but Pre-amps don't... Correct?
    Last edited by ematthews; 03-03-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    So with that said, the Emotiva amps should sound as good and the same as any other Hifi amp?
    I am guessing that it's my preamp {emotiva usp-1} that has the sound change then......Because the Harmon Kardon HK3490 sounds better to my ears than the USP-1 and XPA-2 set up.. The HK3490 doesn't sound as bright..
    So we established that amps sound the same but Pre-amps don't... Correct?
    Find a Wyred4Sound amp to audition-class D, powerful, good bass and clarity, reasonable $. My 250w ST500 is great and as a bonus runs very coool.

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    Find a Wyred4Sound amp to audition-class D, powerful, good bass and clarity, reasonable $. My 250w ST500 is great and as a bonus runs very coool.
    Yup the mini MC 3ch has being high on my radar for some time...As for the pro audio stuff they simple don't meet my criteria for home use...regardless of the excellent value they offer I don't like their looks at all. For me that matters unfortunately in the end, that's going to cost me!

My AV stuff goes in a credenza...I don't like the look of AV racks in my case. Space is also limited... width is fine but depth & height is more of a concern since I'll need to use my MRX as a pre in this case and sit on top.

Its not always about shear value...like in the case of pro audio gear...I for one put a large emphasis on aesthetics...I just do...sorry if I offend some of you value seekers out there.
    Last edited by billy p; 03-03-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I hear you. Love the way my stuff looks on the rack. It's all apart of the fun.

Yes. The summary is -- reasonable solid state amplifiers are transparent to sound and they will all sound the same on blind testing. The audiophile reviews about this and that amplifier sounding a certain way is hogwash designed to try to sell you expensive equipment. The exception is if there is intentional distortion introduced (such as in a tube amplifier). You merely need your amplifier to have enough power and be stable enough to drive your speakers at the levels you need them driven at. And obviously, you want one that's well built since you want to want it to keep cranking out sweet music for decades.

If you plan on keeping them in a credenza, the only issue would be with air circulation and heat if you're leaning toward a class B or class A/B amplifier. Your amp may run warm. The benefit of class D (except for the small weight and size) is that they are 85+% efficient and generate very little heat due to their efficiency. Much safer in an enclosed case.
    Last edited by bkdc; 03-03-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Anyone here have an opinion on running the Outlaw Audio 2200 mono amps with my Sierra 2's? I am wondering if this is a better way to go instead of going to the Parasound amp or even as a last resort, another Emotiva XPA-2.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Yup the mini MC 3ch has being high on my radar for some time...As for the pro audio stuff they simple don't meet my criteria for home use...regardless of the excellent value they offer I don't like their looks at all. For me that matters unfortunately in the end, that's going to cost me!

My AV stuff goes in a credenza...I don't like the look of AV racks in my case. Space is also limited... width is fine but depth & height is more of a concern since I'll need to use my MRX as a pre in this case and sit on top.

Its not always about shear value...like in the case of pro audio gear...I for one put a large emphasis on aesthetics...I just do...sorry if I offend some of you value seekers out there.
    Sure, I understand, to each his own. I gave up the receiver thing for separates quite a while ago and having been enjoying ever since. I liked the look in my college room though.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    You need some more power in my opinion. I am pushing my Sierra 2's with a Marantz PM8004 which is 70 per channel. Not enough again..
    With that much power, you should be hitting 97db peaks at 10' with two speakers in a typical room if the speakers are away from walls...closer to wall would be even louder.

97dB is pretty loud.

Of course, that is if the volume dial is turned all the way up and the spec is honest.
    Last edited by curtis; 03-03-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    -curtis

I have a 500wpc 2-channel ICEPower based amp that I am willing to let anyone try if we can work out shipping and assurances.

I am simplifying my system, and just using all five-channels of my 150 wpc ATI amp.
    -curtis