Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Default Re: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Crown XLS 1500 for around $360 is another cost-effective option.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I would like to find a 3 ch amp for my fronts....3ch amps designs are rare and expensive...like the MCA30($2500.00 cdn).
    Look into Emotiva. They have 3-ch amp for $800 US.
    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...products/xpa-3
    Media PC: Intel i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB RAM, 250G Samsung 840 EVO, XFX HD7870 GPU
    Software: JRiver MC 20.0.79, AnyDVD HD 7.5.8.0
    Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 13.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 28)
    Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as SL/SR
    Sub: Elemental Designs A7s-650
    TV tuner: HD HomeRun DUEL (2)

So many threads recommend Pro Audio live amps? If they are so good and cheap why aren't more people buying them? I mean the Yamaha 3500 is half the price of the Parasound? Makes me really wonder if they are good for home systems.

I am currently driving my Towers/RAAL with a marantz 1603 ( 50 watts ) which has pre outs. Just wondering if If its a good idea to add this crown NXLS1500 amp for a 2.0 set up.

You need some more power in my opinion. I am pushing my Sierra 2's with a Marantz PM8004 which is 70 per channel. Not enough again..

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    So many threads recommend Pro Audio live amps? If they are so good and cheap why aren't more people buying them? I mean the Yamaha 3500 is half the price of the Parasound? Makes me really wonder if they are good for home systems.
    From what I can tell, the pro audio market goes for volume and the HT/audiophile market goes for quality. I say this as most of the pro audio amps I've seen used (mostly Crown and QSC) are Class D or H amps, meaning high output with low power draw. And honestly lets face it, in a concert with a 1000 screaming fans, there is so much background noise that all the details are lost so maintaining a pure Class A sound is just not needed. Also a lot of pro audio amps are designed to be rack mounted and have internal fans. Therefore they are meant to be put away in a closet and not see or heard.
    Media PC: Intel i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB RAM, 250G Samsung 840 EVO, XFX HD7870 GPU
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as SL/SR

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedD408 View Post
    And honestly lets face it, in a concert with a 1000 screaming fans, there is so much background noise that all the details are lost so maintaining a pure Class A sound is just not needed.
    You're assuming that there is an audible difference between well-implemented Class A and Class D amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    You're assuming that there is an audible difference between well-implemented Class A and Class D amps.
    Maybe a little. I am assuming the background noise is higher because it is (people talking, etc.) However, I if you look at my signature line you'll notice that I use an Emotiva MPS-2 amp. That amp chassis, as 7 EPM-300 modules in it, which are Class H amps (200@8, 300@4 and 400@2 ohms). So I'm not one of those "Class A tube amp" or nothing type people.

I honestly think the big issue with pro gear is that they have internal fans to keep them cool and most of them are not nice looking. Therefore people don't like the fan noise and the wife/girl friend things they are ugly (which most of them are).

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedD408 View Post
    Maybe a little. I am assuming the background noise is higher because it is (people talking, etc.)
    Not sure if I follow. We're talking about both amp types being used in a home theater environment, right?

Well for me this is in a music only system. 11x13 room. I listen to a lot of ambient rock/prog rock.. some call it space rock.. there is times when this type of music really gets low for some times...I need a quiet amp by all means.