Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Default Help with a new 2 channel amp

Can anyone here help recommend a really good quality 2 channel amp. I have had multiple issues with my Emotiva XPA-2 amp and think I need to get away from the brand...This is a maybe. It's been hard to find something to replace it. Budget is $1000.
    Parasound and Outlaw are what I have found.. Have no idea if their quality is any better.
    I have quality on the mind with a china budget

Default Re: Help with a new 2 channel amp

Parasound has several 2 channel amps at or below your budget. Outlaw does not offer a 2 channel amp so you would have to get a multi channel model or 2 of their mono block amps. Either brand should be reliable.

I was looking at the Outlaw Mono amps. Nad is another consideration...Would like to find a warm sounding amp if I could over the very neutral Emo amp.

Odyssey Stratos 175 watts, very authoritative, can be had used under $1,000. Built like a tank--smooth and powerful.

Just one man's opinion, my favourite brands for amps are ATI and Anthem. In the case of Anthem, my particular favourite models in their lineup are towards the higher end, so that leaves ATI as the run away favourite in your case, IMO.

Just so you know, ATI is the OEM for a great many amplifier brands. B&K, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Theta, Earthquake, Cinepro, and quite a few others that they don't state publicly due to their licensing agreements. Oh yeah, and Outlaw

ATI also sells their own B-Stock amplifiers directly via ClassicAudioParts.com . You are dealing directly with ATI in the case of ClassicAudioParts (if you call them or you call ATI, the same people answer the phone ). And while the items there are sold as B-Stock due to extremely minor cosmetic flaws, they still come with ATI's 7 year warranty!

So that is where I would point you in a heartbeat. If you don't see the exact ATI model you'd want to buy for the price you'd like currently listed at ClassicAudioParts, call 'em up on the phone. They're great to talk to, and they'll help you out with getting the amp you want.

That said, if you're more comfortable with brand new, Outlaw's great, too

+1 on ATI...I'm using 1505 that is around 10 years old...robust.
    -curtis

I'm partial to Parasound amps. The A21 is well built and powerful! Easy to grab on used market. The high end models also run in class A for the first few watts.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-M-5010-2...fier+2+channel

Here is an Onkyo 75 watt stereo amp for a mere $219. I've had good luck with Onkyo gear in the past. Should be enough power unless you listen at extremely loud levels.

I am currently using 3 Anthem MCA series amps, the 2 channel version I bought this summer was $1300. My 5 channel is about 8 years old now and still works flawlessly. Very nice build quality.

Edit: One feature I really like about the Anthem amps is the signal sensing circuit that turns them on when a signal is present, and turns them off when no signal is present for about 15 minutes. I would imagine other amps will also trigger in this manner, it is very nice.

Many amps can also be triggered by another device such as the preamp, but I rarely turn mine off.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 03-01-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Another route, here is a 250 watt Yamaha pro amplifier. $420

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-P2500S-...fier+2+channel

Jay

I would like to find a 3 ch amp for my fronts....3ch amps designs are rare and expensive...like the MCA30($2500.00 cdn). I might as well go with a 5 ch amp for about the same cost my biggest concern is the chassis design, it will need to fit a certain requirement. The outlaws look really appealing but shipping restraints....I know pro amps are often a good compromise if you factor cost to power ratio but I don't like their looks...I might as well take my time and buy the right amp will last me the next 20+ yrs...like the MCA30...

Besides my MRX would have pretty good synergy with the MCA or PVA amp...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.