Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another need your opinion on Sierra-2 vs other speakers request

Default Re: Another need your opinion on Sierra-2 vs other speakers request

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Hello,

I have also heard the Venere 1.5 and the 2.0.

For the Price of the Venere 1.5 you can get the Sierra-1 with the NrT tweeter..

But, to the point of the Venere, I did like them overall! And they are very good in soundstage and imaging. Just a little more laid back (warm sounding) than I would like, but still very good.

In contrast, the Sierra-1 NrT which are the only ones I owned before upgrading them to Sierra-2, are not warm, but neutral...and overall a more pleasing sound... nothing is exaggerated or accentuated. I would have been very happy with the NrT if it wasn't because I fell in love with good ribbon tweeter (not just Ascends) and know that is what I wanted... back to the point.. the NrT are more at home with others like the Revel Performa M106, which are better than the Venere 1.5 and 2.0... The Veneres just have that Sonus Faber warm sound to them, that if that is what you like...great.. The Veneres do have a cool look to them though.

The Sierra-2 are just better than those period. They are less than $1500, but if they followed the typical business model of other companies, they would be way above $2000. Don't even ask about how much the Towers with RAAL would be
    Thanks very much for the comparison. I've heard the Revel m105, and found it to be great with the exception of the top end, which I thought was a little polite for my taste. Of the Revel, Sonus Faber and Sierra-1 NRT, do you think the 3D imaging (left-right, front-back) and detail are equivalent? I'm looking for a more realistic, palpable midrange than my current speakers give me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobola View Post
    Thanks very much for the comparison. It's interesting that you found the Venere too forward. I take it you have the stock Sierra-1 (not the NRT)?
    Yes stock Sierra 1. With the speakers less than 3 feet away from me.....I don't need anything more forward than necessary :-). The whole process really opened me up to finding what I liked.

I'm still floored by the detail these Sierra1 have.

I'm very new to acknowledging better imaging and sound stage but I felt the Sierras were easier to locate specific sounds from within the sound stage over the Venere. Also felt the the Sierras disappeared better too. I really wanted the Sonus Fabers to be the ones cause I fell in love from the first sound. However going into the 2nd audition I knew they weren't going to be up to par against the Sierras.

Good luck on your quest......I doubt you'd be disappointed in an in home trial of a pair of any version of the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by bobola View Post
    Thanks very much for the comparison. I've heard the Revel m105, and found it to be great with the exception of the top end, which I thought was a little polite for my taste. Of the Revel, Sonus Faber and Sierra-1 NRT, do you think the 3D imaging (left-right, front-back) and detail are equivalent? I'm looking for a more realistic, palpable midrange than my current speakers give me.
    The imaging on the Venere impressed quite a bit, The Revels m105 were very good too, but by my impression, The Venere has an edge in width while the Performa 3 were more deep. This is a difference by small degrees. By the time I heard the Revels I had a already heard the Venere. Still I found the Revel to have a more balanced, acurate sound, where the Sonus Faber had a "color" to them so to speak. I appreciated the Revels more than the Sonus Fabers. The Sierra-1 NrT are very very good, but contrary to the other two, I heard the NrT in my room which is not as well treated ( basically not at all) vs the other which I heard in demo rooms. Once I played a little with positioning in a near field environment to prevent unwanted interactions, they conveied a wide stage, and the wall went like 6ft back! To me in the month or two that I had them, they impressed me a lot! They image wide a little beyond the edges of their baffles (not as much as the SF in my opinion) and were even deeper than the Revels, again small degrees of difference.

Midrange performance in my opinion were better on the Revels. But not that muchj better than the Sierra or Venere. The Sierra, I think were better than Venere.

Now, you are considering speakers in the 1200 to almost 2000. The Sierra-2 is much better in everything, and they are less than $1500.

Hope this helps