Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sneaking new speakers past wife...any advice?

Hey, Rosa. Try diamonds and a trip to Hawaii. Worked for me.

Eddie,

Can't afford it. Just bought another house and that is the wife's present.

BTW, did i say i love the 340s? The 170s are good but the 340s are even sweeeeter. The hsu seems to be just there till you need it. I have to get some cds with a lot of base to really test it. Did I say I love my new setup? Did I?

As you all know I like to play my music loud, very loud. So I am playing Beatles tunes just singing along with Hey Jude, Yesterday, Across the Universe, etc. I know you whipper snapper are too young for this stuff...anyway I hear this knocking at the door and my neighbor who I have known for years says..."I have been knocking on your door for 5 minutes and I am surprise that you heard me at all, do you know that it is 10 o’clock and I can hear you in my living room?” I replied “Oh, I did not know I was playing that loud, I am just trying to break in my speakers I got yesterday.”...So I turn down the volume down a little bit, just a little bit, with him right behind me. I thought that was the end of it and he will go back home. “Boy, that sounds so live, like you are in a club, what the f... are those black speakers?” he says in a very loud voice. “Here, have a seat and I’ll get you a beer”....So I get him a Bud and give him the microphone…” you know karaoke?”......................................... ........…………………………………………………………………………………….I don’t sing……………………………………………………………………………………. …………………………………………………………………….Did you know that after 3 beers that guy couldn’t care less if he sounded like a cat being strangled? To make a long story short an hour and a half later I hear another knocking at the door and I see Virgie, his wife,…”Did you know I have knocking at your door for the last 5 minutes? Where is Sam?” Without waiting for an answer she goes to the living room and pinch Sam by the ear and drags him home.

I have been sitting here for the last half hour still laughing my ass off!!!

LOL!!!

My Parents also use their Ascends/Hsu for karaoke.

-curtis

sounds like the two of you are making a dog house. []

For my part, I replaced Klipsches with the the 340's across the front and the 170's in the rear and my wife was so happy with the improvement that she didn't complain a bit! I say throw in a Norah Jones disc, bring the wife in, and be loud and be proud... the difference in sound works wonders!

When I purchased my 170's, I had saved up the money and kept the stash at work(hidden from any prying cleaning crews!). I had been emailing Dave F. on how I prefered to make the stealth purchase. I could not use a credit card or check as my wife would have seen the statements. Dave was great and allowed me to pay the UPS driver with a money order when he delivered the speakers to me at work. I had previously sold a radio-controlled electric race truck I no longer "played" with. I had $300-$400 worth of truck if bought new...and got only $100 for it, depreciation bites! I came home with the speakers and told my wife I had Swapped the R/C truck for the 170's with a guy from work,who received them as a gift and did not need them. She rolled her eyes and asked what would become of my current speakers...B&W 602's. I swapped speakers, using the shorter wood stands I had for the 602's, liked the sound enough for me to sell the 602's at a local hi-fi shop on consignment. I made enough to purchase some nice 30" metal stands which match the 170's appearance perfectly. I know I should not have lied to her like that, but after being honest when I bought the Outlaw 1050 receiver, she blew her lid when I told her a package was on it's way from DHL and she needed to be home to sign for it! She puts her foot down about any more equipment, so I need to be "creative" when I get the "bug"!

Ed

Good story Ed. I'm going to have to be "creative" when my 340's arrive in October. My wife's a singer in a rock band (not bad for 50 years old [8D]) and has a golden ear. I plan to put the 340's (with stands) in the prime location. My current Mission's will be outside of the 340's, a little too far apart to image properly. I'll also have the Mission's in the "B" speaker terminals which are a definite step down from the "A" terminals on my receiver (Kenwood 6060). When she hears the difference, I think I've got a shot. Or maybe I'll get shot? []
    The Mission's work well in my small study but aren't what I'm looking for in home theatre so back to the study they go.
    Now how I can add a larger subwoofer without being noticed right away is my next project. I've already begun to "decorate" that corner so the sub isn't noticable. Creativity is a good thing.

David

Really, Does anyone care what there wives think?

Concerning everything else....absolutely! When it comes to our hobbies....whatever you say, dear!

Maybe that's why I am also an "Outlaw"! Better to satisfy your urge now and take the heat later, than to ask permission first and get denied! We need an "A.A." thread, don't we!?

Ed