Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie asks M60s vs 340s (kinda long)

Moostic...welcome to our humble forum.

The HK330 can easily drive all the speakers.....there should be no problems there.

As for the two speakers, I own the CMT-340, and have heard the M60 in my home, and at an Axiom owners home. With a sub, I think it is an excellent comparison. The midrange and treble are more to my liking on the CMT-340. Neither of the speakers are muffled.

Where are you located?....maybe you can find owners of both and get a listen.

-curtis

Will you be using a sub right away? The 55w/ch of the 330 should give you enough power if you won't need theater-like sound levels, especially with a sub taking on bass duty. My 170 mains with an older B&W center and two small 2-way surrounds put out plenty of volume in my 13'x 18'(8' ceiling)room with a sub using a 65w/ch Outlaw 1050 receiver. Are you saying that you can only make a partial purchase now, such as a pair of mains, a center or a receiver only? If so, what is your initial budget?

Ed

Curtis - I am in the Phoenix area.

Mag_Neato - Yes I will be using a sub but it is only the 8" KLH. It is powered and I think 100 or 120 watts. If the 340s sounded better driving the bass themselves then I would not use a sub right away. Yes I can only make a partial purchase now. My overall budget will realistically hit 2000 with 7.1, but I can't wait that long so I will start with 300-600 depending on which component I go with.

Thanks for the help!

Phoenix? Well you are in luck...Rick(mattepntr) just moved there!

-curtis

If you spend $300 I'd get the 340 center first. If you go $600 I'd get the 340 mains w/stands now....I think Ascend is still running their special on those. If you can stretch your budget a bit, give Dave F. a call or email and see if he can work a 340-all front package price for you!

Ed

just a fair warning w/ my experience on the axiom system. i found the vp150 to be very lacking in the performance arena. just my feelings on the sound and i plead the 5th on saying WHY in order to avoid any forum entanglements. some people love it and that's great.

compare the reviews on audioreview.com

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

Do you really think Ascend might give a break on price for buying 3 pieces at the same time? Do they ever offer b-stock?

Ok I would like to know about 7.1 receivers now. I'm thinking HK and refurb they have the 330 for $393 and the 525 for $430. Since they are very close in price which one is the better choice for 3 340s and 4 170s (that would be my eventual set up).

The best way to find about pricing and b stock is the call them....yes, the occasionally have b-stock.

I had an HK525, it was great for 5.1...I didn't have 7.1 at the time. I am sure the 330 would be fine too. I think the 525 has more flexible bass management.

-curtis

Curtis - what receiver do you use now? And according to the specs on the 525-Z it says '7.1 Home Theater Receiver'. Did they make changes to the same model number from 5.1 to 7.1?

Also assuming the 525-Z has the same technology as the 330 would it be a no brainer to spend the extra $37 to get 15 more watts per channel?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my crazy questions!

I meant I didn't have a 7.1 setup...just 5.1..the receiver could have done 7.1.

I now use a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro with ATI amps.

Yes, I would lean toward the 525.

No problem answering questions, that is what the forum is for.

-curtis