Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie asks M60s vs 340s (kinda long)

BTW, I did this very comparison as you can see in this post:

http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/top...earchTerms=340

I run the 340's with an H/K 430 and it is more than plenty though my room is smaller.

Thanks Curtis. I misread your post about 7.1.

CraigT nice review. I'm glad you took the time to compare the two speakers. They seem to be very similar.

I've almost enough for the center. I may opt for getting that first. I just can't wait!

I have hear both the 60's (friend has them) and the 340's (I have them) and I prefer the 340's. Both provide exceedingly detailed sound for movies and music, but the 340's offer warmer more intimate feeling. The sound just hangs out in the air, whereas the 60's feel more forced and less natural. That is not to say that you wouldn't be completely happy with the 60's, as my friend is quite fond of them, but for my part, I really like the 340's. Certainly better for music, especially if you enjoy jazz or rock.

Subwoofer: I have the HSU VTF-2 and the match is perfect. A lesser subwoofer would certainly be lacking...

Anyhow, good luck and have fun with it!

boxand1 - I've decided that I will be happy with the 340s. Now it is a matter of when. From what I have read I will like the 'fullness' of the 340 mains combined with the 340 center. I'm sure Axiom is very good as well but from what I have seen online there is a lot of debate on how good of a center the VP100 or VP150 is. At least compared to the rest of the Axiom line. I am really starting to prefer the looks of the 340s to boot.

The small sub that I have has 'speaker in' connections for the L/R front speakers, and then L/R 'speaker out'. Does anyone know the reason for this? Does this improve something? This is only the second sub I have ever had and the first one didn't have this.

axiom makes a killer pair of speakers w/ the m-60s.

the 340s create something that is much needed/desired with HT. a MATCHED front soundstage. i think many can lose track of how a lot of center channels sound so much different than their L/R mains. some are OK with that, but not I.
    i was listening to my ascends with the grills off today. the 340 soundstage has a no nonsense, techy look with the grills off that fits just right. i'm glad i mated them with the tp-24 stands. love em'.

moostic, i could send you pictures of my room with axioms and with ascends if you're interested?

i watched the intro of saving private ryan this afternoon. intense!
    such a clean, balanced sound. blows my mind at how much better they sound to ME vs. a host of other brands and price ranges.
    i haven't felt this good about something i've purchased in a long time. enjoy! []

metalaaron - YES please do send pics! That would be awesome!

i will be watching kill bill 2 tonight and probably wondering how much better the sound could be with Ascends!

no prob
    i'll try to take some this evening / tomorrow morning. it'll give me a good reason to clean up around the house anyways. haha