Thread: Looking for advice on setup with difficult room

Default Looking for advice on setup with difficult room

I want to use the room diagrammed below as media/HT room. A few things are causing placement issues; a brick chimney that runs the full 8ft height of the room and the close proximity of the entry and closet doors in the corner. I'm using the Onkyo NR808 that is capable of 7.1, but my first goal is for an optimal 5.1 setup. I drew up the floorplan to include the 2 different surround placements I was considering. (My gut feeling right now is that implementing 7.1 in this room size might not reap any benefits)

L/R/C speakers will be Sierra-2's, surrounds will be either a pair of Sierra-1's, CBM-170's or HTM-200's (depending on mounting/placement options), subwoofer is a Rythmik FV-15.

The surrounds will need to be placed at ceiling height because of the door and closet location. There is approx 14inches between the door/closet trim and the ceiling. If I use the side placement, I feel like that is going to introduce a significant asymmetry between the two surrounds due to the chimney deflecting/blocking the sound to the listening area. Placement on the rear walls should alleviate this issue. However, to keep symmetrical spacing and avoid facing the right surround directly at the chimney, I'd have to move the surrounds rather close together (only about 5ft apart). The only other feasible option I can think of would be to place the surrounds in the rear corners and angle them downwards and inwards towards the listening position. However, similar to the sidewall placement, it seems that the chimney is going to interfere.

As far as sub placement; I'd like to keep the sub up front for aesthetics and to leave room to place individual seats near the left and right side walls. I haven't done the crawl test yet but I'm curious if there are any spots in the room the jump out as being particularly poor placement choices.

Last edited by TheHolyCannoli; 01-29-2014 at 07:57 PM.