Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra 2 Up Grade

Default Re: New Sierra 2 Up Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    I made risers for the subs when I got them. I had to make them high enough to be used as end tables.
    The top of the sub is 25" high and that puts the center of the tweeter at 36". I sit at a distance of 8.25'. This puts my ears off axis in the vertical plane by 1.15 degrees. I do not think that this difference will be noticeable. The center is about 4" lower that the mains and I did not notice an audible difference with the speaker level or tipped back slightly.
    Here is a pic that shows my front setup:
    Attachment 1044
    That's looking good! Can you bring the L & R speakers forward to the edge of the subs? That should help with reflections. You also could try something like these foam risers to get a little more height and angle. http://www.amazon.com/Adam-Hall-SPAD...ref=pd_cp_MI_3
    Nate

The speakers are at the edge of the subs and toed in toward the listening position. The subs have a bowed metal grill. This is what makes the speakers look like they are pushed back.
    Those pads look interesting. Do you have any experience with them? I would like to know if they have a no slip bottom. I don't like to think of the sierra 2 moving around when the subs get going.

The speakers are at the edge of the subs and toed in toward the listening position. The subs have a bowed metal grill. This is what makes the speakers look like they are pushed back.
    Those pads look interesting. Do you have any experience with them? I would like to know if they have a no slip bottom. I don't like to think of the sierra 2 moving around when the subs get going.
    I ordered some of these pads for my setup since I have my center on a shelf above my TV and I want to use them to angle it down. I can update in a few days when they arrive regarding the bottoms, but I think they are just foam. I had already been planning to use a bit of blu tack (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FGLX72) to keep the pads secure. I would think that would be enough to keep them from moving around on the sub as well.
    Last edited by Galaga; 02-04-2014 at 11:16 PM.

I just got a pair of them for my center channel. I like them. Each wedge is composed of two pieces. They can be used in different combinations or separately to allow for a flat riser or a variety of angles. I'm using the two main pieces backwards to give an upward slant. I don't think there is a any slipping going on.
    Nate

I made risers for the subs when I got them. I had to make them high enough to be used as end tables.
    The top of the sub is 25" high and that puts the center of the tweeter at 36". I sit at a distance of 8.25'. This puts my ears off axis in the vertical plane by 1.15 degrees. I do not think that this difference will be noticeable. The center is about 4" lower that the mains and I did not notice an audible difference with the speaker level or tipped back slightly.

Here is a pic that shows my front setup:
    Attachment 1044
    The Adam Hall isolation pads are less than half the price of mopads (18.00 a pair amazon prime)and are a pretty good fit I recommend them purely for keeping one hard surface off the other.
    Cheers, Mac
    Edit: doh! Never mind- just noticed nateg's post:0
    The spadeco1's are about 1/2" narrower than the Sierra boxes but still look very good IMO
    Last edited by Macddmac; 02-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just placed an order for a pair.
    I live in Canada. We get screwed up here when it comes to prices.
    I wish that I could get them for the $18.00 quoted. Here is my cost for them:
    Amazon.ca, 57.54 + shipping + tax = $74.10.

If they haven't shipped yet, you could add another pair for your center channel.
    Nate

Yikes! You can buy the Auralex MoPads at a local store for less than that. Tom Lee Music or Long & McQuade both carry them in my area. Tom Lee Music has the lower price at $38 for a pair (four pieces that will hold 2 speakers) at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    Yikes! You can buy the Auralex MoPads at a local store for less than that. Tom Lee Music or Long & McQuade both carry them in my area. Tom Lee Music has the lower price at $38 for a pair (four pieces that will hold 2 speakers) at the moment.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I live in rural Newfoundland so the MoPads would have to be shipped.
    Here are the prices I would have to pay:
    Long & McQuade $76.68.
    Tom Lee Music $114.85. WTF 66.63 shipping for regular parcel post.
    I would not trust the Mopads to do the job. I purchased two Auralex SubDudes for my subs. They clearly stated that they could handle subs up to 300 lbs, but they were crushed by my 105 lb subs. Their customer service was a lot better than their product. They offered to ship me new ones at no charge. I did not see the point if they were going under the same subs.

I have rocket set-up 5.0 in rosewood and was thinking about going with sierra-2's, but not sure on the center if I would do a sierra-2 or horizon.

So you like the sierra-2's much better then rockets.