Thread: Amplifier recommendations for near-field listening

Default Amplifier recommendations for near-field listening

After months of merrily romping through the audiophile funhouse, I have concluded that I need to use small speakers for near-field listening. I would dearly love to get some beautiful towers, but as 90% of my listening time will happen as I am on the computer or creating art, I need to use small speakers. At present I use two large computer monitors, so the two speakers would be about 4.5 feet apart. After exhaustively researching such small-scale gems as the Magnepan Mini and the KEF LS50, I have almost decided to come home to roost with the Ascend Sierras.

My audio source will be my computer exclusively. I am a bass head so I need a subwoofer, and am considering the Hsu MBM-12 MK2 and/or Hsu ULS 15. As for an amplifier, because I will be perched at the computer most of the time, and because my income does not range into the twelve digits, I have to be content with a mere mortal amplifier.

To get you thinking, I was leaning strongly in the direction of the NAD C390 DD or the Core Audio Kratos digital amplifiers, but these are budget stretchers and may have more power than I need for near-field listening. I’ve also looked at the NAD D7050 and its smaller brethren, but I’m not sure that 30 - 50 WPC would be enough. I'm not terribly interested in buying a separate DAC.

(And if you can think of a way to integrate tower speakers into a near-field listening situation, I’m all ears. So to speak.)

I welcome your suggestions.

Default Re: Amplifier recommendations for near-field listening

For near-field listening, 30-50 watts is plenty.

The Hsu MBM-12MK2 isn't going to get you any bass below 50hz....the Sierra(you didn't mention which model you were getting) has that area covered...especially in near-field use. The ULS-15 would be a better choice....save more and go with a Rythmik F12. The F12 will have all the output you need for nearfield use, and at least as good sound quality.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis. Looking at the Sierra-1, unless the Sierra 2 is out by the time I'm ready. Thanks for the advice!

I've done exactly what you are looking for and scoured countless websites to find something that fits and powers. I just got done auditioning the Sierra 1, Monitor Audio RX2 and Focal Chorus 706v. I listen to predominantly trance, house and other electronic music and wanted something with some low end. The RX2 provided the most low end but the Sierras were so much more detailed and clear. I just turned the bass up a little in Foobar and I had a winner. Everything but the Sierras have been returned.

I bought an Emotiva Mini X A-100 ampilifier for power. It sits perfectly atop my computer tower with fractions of an inch of over hang. Not only does it fit nice but it powers a solid 50 watts to each speaker. I'd give it a solid look. I can barely turn it up to the point we're it's too loud. Emotiva offers a 30 day trial as well. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Good luck!

Thanks very much, drbump. I had considered the Monitor Audio speakers as well, so I appreciate your experience with them. Maybe the amps I was looking at were a little too powerful for nearfield listening. I looked at Emotiva before but I will be giving the mini-X a closer look thanks to your input.

Just to clarify, it doesn't look like you use a DAC in your system. So do you connect the amp directly to the headphone out jack on the computer? It doesn't look like it accepts USB or anything fancier.

BTW, Curtis, I have been reading the reviews on the new Sierra-2 and I think I'm sold. I'm waiting for the official announcement on the Ascend website ...

Yeah I just noticed your original request to find something with a DAC in it. I went with the Xonar STX sound card and connect that to the Emotiva amp with a pair of interconnects. I found this to be the best option that got me the power I was looking for. Some of those combo dac and amp options don't look liked they'd do the job. The amp is basic but does offer the ability to daisy chain them.

The Monitor Audio were awesome! But I couldn't pass up the detail.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'd rather not use a DAC if I can avoid it (I'd like to avoid the additional expense and complexity). So it sounds like I'd like to do what you're doing: plug the amp into the computer with interconnects.

Do I need to upgrade the sound card if I do that? Can I make do without one? Or would the sound quality suffer?

I really appreciate your help.

Got it. So I installed a new sound card instead of an external DAC. This sound card has interconnects(rca) on the back of it for sound out as well as digital (spdif/coax). It does offer headphone plug in and the ability to add an input device for recording. It's made by Asus. Model Xonar Essence STX. It's for a pc.
    Do you have to do this, no. You can go to radio shack/Walmart and get a long enough headphone jack to rca cable and connect that to the amp. Not knowing the sound card/quality from your current pc I can't tell you if a sound card upgrade is necessary or not.