Thread: Which Ascend speaker for Home Theater?

Default Which Ascend speaker for Home Theater?

Greetings,

I have been lurking the forums for a while and I need some help choosing which speakers to get. I have a 16x13x8 room and I am looking for speakers primarily for home theater use. At first I was thinking I'd get the Sierra-1's until I found out the Sierra-2 was being developed. Now that the Sierra-2 is out I've read a few comments that say to really take advantage of the RAAL one would need to listen to music over HT. Is this true? Does the RAAL not give an advantage over the dome or nrt tweeter for HT use?

One of the most important things for me is to clearly hear voice dialogue at lower volumes as I live in an apartment. At first I plan to run the speakers as a 2.0 system with later adding either an SVS PB1000 or PC12NSD. I narrowed down those two subwoofers due to space/size constraints. The rear ported Rythmik LV12r is too large and the rear port causes placement issues(proximity to wall).

So which to get? Sierra-1 with dome, Sierra-1 nrt or Sierra-2? Or maybe even CBM-170 SE?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Which Ascend speaker for Home Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Greetings,

I have been lurking the forums for a while and I need some help choosing which speakers to get. I have a 16x13x8 room and I am looking for speakers primarily for home theater use. At first I was thinking I'd get the Sierra-1's until I found out the Sierra-2 was being developed. Now that the Sierra-2 is out I've read a few comments that say to really take advantage of the RAAL one would need to listen to music over HT. Is this true? Does the RAAL not give an advantage over the dome or nrt tweeter for HT use?

One of the most important things for me is to clearly hear voice dialogue at lower volumes as I live in an apartment. At first I plan to run the speakers as a 2.0 system with later adding either an SVS PB1000 or PC12NSD. I narrowed down those two subwoofers due to space/size constraints. The rear ported Rythmik LV12r is too large and the rear port causes placement issues(proximity to wall).

So which to get? Sierra-1 with dome, Sierra-1 nrt or Sierra-2? Or maybe even CBM-170 SE?

Thanks in advance!
    Since you don't plan on adding a center and your primary goal is dialog clarity at low volumes, a pair of Sierra-2's should still be your top choice.

Default Re: Which Ascend speaker for Home Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Odysseus and welcome to our forum!

There are a few advantages that the S-2 will over the S-1 for hometheater. It is important to keep in mind that it is not just the RAAL tweeter, but the S-2 also has a new woofer...

1. Dynamics, which is important for HT. While the S-1 is most impressive, the S-2 is noticeably superior in this regard. It is quicker, tighter and will provide more impact.

2. Spaciousness -- the S-2 provides a rather remarkable soundstage, it is extremely wide with an extremely wide sweet spot. Sounds seem like they emanate from all over the room.

3. Overall clarity -- the S-2 offers unmatched clarity at nearly any reasonable volume level.

Since dialogue clarity at low volume levels is important to you -- if the two's fit into your budget, these are the perfect speakers for you!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com