Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Ascend and about to purchase with an issue

Default Re: New to Ascend and about to purchase with an issue

Quote Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
    Dude, you just said Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson! That settles it: get the Sierra-2!

You've no idea what you've been missing via your previous speakers. If you go for that kind of sound, and groups that care that much about their recording quality (if only everybody did! What a utopia that would be!), then you owe it to yourself to hear what their recordings REALLY sound like via a pair of Sierra-2!

I know you're trying to find a way to stick with your original plan. I get that. And, believe me, if I thought it were the better choice, I'd be telling you to get the Sierra-1. I am not a "one size fits all" sort of person when it comes to recommendations. I strongly believe in suggesting the right product for the right situation.

With what you just said above? It really couldn't be any clearer which way you should go. The Sierra-2 are your speakers. I can't stress enough how happy you will be when you hear them.

I don't know if you've ever had a dog or cat. If you have, I'm sure you've had a time or two when you've got the TV on or some other sound source while the dog or cat was in the room. Most of the time, they just ignore the sounds from the TV. But, every once in a while, you'll see them wig out a little bit, and totally prick up their ears and stare REALLY intently at the sound source. It's like, for whatever reason, something they heard really got their attention -- haha.

Well, that's what it's like when you hear an excellent recording via speakers as good as the Sierra-2 -- except it's for us humans There's just this uncanny realism that cannot be conveyed any other way. It's the difference between, "that's a really good pair of speakers" vs. "that just sounds REAL!"

There's just something extra that goes off in your brain. Something that says, "that's real! Holy crap. This is awesome!"

Yeah, you've gotta get the Sierra-2. I've rarely felt this certain about a tough decision. But, it is 100% the way you should go

Ha.. Steven Wilson's stuff is the best. Huge fan of all his work. His latest album is incredible. The Raven that refused to sing...
    Maybe I can just use my Martin Logan Grotto sub a bit longer with the Sierra 2's. I have been trying to get this sub back into my HT set up. I keep having to move it each time I watch a movie.

Hi ematthews and welcome to our forum!

Based on everything I have read from your posts -- without any doubt and if they are within your budget - Sierra-2 are the ideal speaker for what you are looking for. I listen to Deadwing (Porcupine Tree) several times per week on the two's, and it is simply outstanding!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm sold. I can always pick up the sub later on here. Can you tell me if you plan on having stock at the beginning of February. I would rather purchase them after the first of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I'm sold. I can always pick up the sub later on here. Can you tell me if you plan on having stock at the beginning of February. I would rather purchase them after the first of the month.
    It really depends on the finish as we are getting low on several right now. You can always call, place the order and let us know when you want us to bill and ship -- this way we can reserve the pair for you. We are quite easy to work with
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It really depends on the finish as we are getting low on several right now. You can always call, place the order and let us know when you want us to bill and ship -- this way we can reserve the pair for you. We are quite easy to work with
    Very cool. I will call in tomorrow. Is there anyone in particular I should ask for if we were to do it this way?

I do have one question.. Will my Emotiva XPA-2 Amp be too big for these speakers?
    I have never owned book shelf speakers and have been told they don't play real loud. I do listen to my music loud at times. Will this be an issue with both the amp and playing loud?

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Very cool. I will call in tomorrow. Is there anyone in particular I should ask for if we were to do it this way?

I do have one question.. Will my Emotiva XPA-2 Amp be too big for these speakers?
    I have never owned book shelf speakers and have been told they don't play real loud. I do listen to my music loud at times. Will this be an issue with both the amp and playing loud?
    The person answering the phone will be able to help you.

Sierra-2s are capable of serious sound pressure levels, your amp will be fine, better to have plenty of power on hand to avoid clipping.

If you are planning on matching the cabinet finish with Towers, or a Horizon in the future, the domestic made cabinets will match better as they are also produced by the domestic cabinet shop.

Jay

Dont plan on matching anything. This is for my music system only.. what finishes are the domestic makes?

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...2&d=1390290912

Above is a PDF with the pertinent information.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...2&d=1390290912

Above is a PDF with the pertinent information.

Jay
    Great. Thanks. I think the black bamboo would be the best...But..money..
    Is the natural finish Bamboo still???
    Thanks

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...SRM1/srm1.html

Sierra-2 cabinets are the same as the original Sierra cabinets, the above link takes you to that page on the website, you can see some pictures of the imported cabinets, including the natural bamboo finish which is stunning IMHO.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...-Intro-Pricing!

This link shows some of the new cabinet finishes. All Sierra cabinets are bamboo BTW.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 01-22-2014 at 07:39 AM.