Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Ascend and about to purchase with an issue

Default New to Ascend and about to purchase with an issue

Hello
    New to this forum but have been on other audio forums for a long time. I am in the process of replacing some of my audio components including the speakers. Was turned on to Ascend as it was recommended by a lot of other members in another forum. Decided after much research to get the Sierra 1 with out the nrt upgrade.. Well I found out just last night about the Sierra 2's.. I had planned on getting just the 1's with an upgrade to a sealed Rythmik sub. A 2.1 system in my small 11x14 room.
    I am replacing a pair of modified Polk LSi-15's and Martin Logan Grotto sub. The sound is just to muddy and I feel big for the room. I want a much more clear and instrument separation speaker system. Hits to why I am going with smaller book shelf speakers. I do have a few wall treatments in my room but plan on a few things
    My system consist of the following.
    All Emotiva
    XPA-2 Amp
    ERC-1 CD
    USP-1 pre
    To my question.. Is it worth the upgrade to the Sierra 2's and not get the new sub right now? I am thinking the the Sierra 1's would be a great update over the Polk's alone and really need to get a sub in the 2.1 system.
    Any thoughts? Thanks

Default Re: New to Ascend and about to purchase with an issue

The Sierra-2s would definitely be worth the added expense, they really are amazing! If this is for a mostly/all music system you can do without the sub, at least for a period until such time as you can easily afford one. The Sierra-2s provide way more quality and quantity of gorgeous sound than has any right to emanate from such a small enclosure. Should you go this route, you will be stunned and amazed by these speakers.

Jay

Correct. All music. No HT in this set up. I was hoping some one would jump in and say go with the 1's and a sub. Just means more money but end the end I hope the SQ pays off.. That is my main focus is the detail in sound. The LS1-15's just are't detailed enough for me... I had read such good things on the ring radiator that I assumed it would have it.. Just glad I only paid 500 a piece for them.
    Really hard when there are ZERO places where I live to listen to HQ speakers.

Let me ask another question before moving forward with the 2's. If I can give you an idea of my sound preference on an EQ scale it would be like this. A traditional Rock V. I always turned the mid range down a bit to get some of the body and hiss out of a song. I like the highs to sparkle and the lows to be low and punchy.. From what I am reading the Sierra one fits into this better. I don't want to purchase the upgrade for the sake of it being better since better is subjective.. Any help here?

I feel for ya.

This is a tough decision. A pair of Sierra-2 along with a pair of great subwoofers is easily the very best combination when you want to keep the size of the speakers to bookshelf-sized rather than towers. A pair of Sierra Towers RAAL with a pair of great subwoofers is, naturally, the ultimate

But, that's only fine and well when you have that kind of budget!

I'm such a strong proponent of always using subwoofers. Yes, there's an 's' on the end there, because I believe so strongly in always using a pair (or quad) subwoofers! haha. But, again, we run into the issue of budget.

One thing to consider in your case is that the Sierra-1 can easily be upgraded (by you, in your own home) to the Sierra-2. Ascend offers an upgrade kit for $388 each: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch...t_Code=7SR2UPG

You can also send back all of your Sierra-1 parts (the tweeter, woofer, and crossover for each speaker), and Ascend will pay you $31 for each complete set (so, $62 for a pair of Sierra-1 parts). Of course, there are some shipping charges to consider in getting first the Sierra-1 pair, then getting the upgrade kits, then sending back your Sierra-1 parts. But, in the end, you're looking at spending a little over $100 more - grand total - to wind up with the Sierra-2 vs. just buying the Sierra-2 right away.

That's really a great deal! You could enjoy your Sierra-1 PLUS a great subwoofer for as long as you like. Then, once you've saved up, you could upgrade your Sierra-1 pair into a pair of Sierra-2. And then you could add a second subwoofer

So, that option is there. You DO end up spending a bit more in the long run, but there's something to be said for all the time you can spend enjoying the Sierra-1 + subwoofer combo. And you'll have the Sierra-2 upgrade kits to look forward to, knowing that there's still a whole new level of realism and clarity awaiting you!

That said, you've really stressed wanting the utmost clarity, delineation, and realism in your music. That's the Sierra-2 in a nutshell.

If you start with the Sierra-2 right away, you can look forward to adding a pair of great subwoofers later to really fill in the lowest octave. But, in the mean time, you'll be enjoying the very best realism and clarity that a bookshelf-sized speaker can offer.

Either way, I end up telling you to spend a whole bunch of money now, and then also spend a whole bunch of money later -- haha. But, it's worth it. To be completely honest, I think you should go for the Sierra-2 right now. If you want to be bowled over by the realism and clarity in music the way you're describing, that's the way to get what you're after. You can fill in the lowest octave later. For right now, I think the Sierra-2 will put you over the moon

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Let me ask another question before moving forward with the 2's. If I can give you an idea of my sound preference on an EQ scale it would be like this. A traditional Rock V. I always turned the mid range down a bit to get some of the body and hiss out of a song. I like the highs to sparkle and the lows to be low and punchy.. From what I am reading the Sierra one fits into this better. I don't want to purchase the upgrade for the sake of it being better since better is subjective.. Any help here?
    I think that once you get used to what a truly accurate, flat, detailed, incredibly dynamic speaker the Sierra-2s are, you might learn to appreciate a flat equalization. If you listen to well recorded material, the Sierra-2s are incredible, if you listen to poorly recorded, highly dynamically compressed pop/rock, the Twos, being exceedingly accurate, the flaws will be easily heard. Like the old saying "garbage in, garbage out".

The better my system gets, the more important I find it to acquire high quality source media. I have since discovered an interest in music genres other than Rock, which was my only interest in younger days.

Jay

I don't listen to any pop music at all and most of the time CD is the source. Sometimes I listen off the internet through my Emotiva XDA-1 DAC... In any case I listen to a lot of progressive rock like Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson... All the way to Ambient. Mostly instrumental. I look for good recordings as well.

Dude, you just said Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson! That settles it: get the Sierra-2!

You've no idea what you've been missing via your previous speakers. If you go for that kind of sound, and groups that care that much about their recording quality (if only everybody did! What a utopia that would be!), then you owe it to yourself to hear what their recordings REALLY sound like via a pair of Sierra-2!

I know you're trying to find a way to stick with your original plan. I get that. And, believe me, if I thought it were the better choice, I'd be telling you to get the Sierra-1. I am not a "one size fits all" sort of person when it comes to recommendations. I strongly believe in suggesting the right product for the right situation.

With what you just said above? It really couldn't be any clearer which way you should go. The Sierra-2 are your speakers. I can't stress enough how happy you will be when you hear them.

I don't know if you've ever had a dog or cat. If you have, I'm sure you've had a time or two when you've got the TV on or some other sound source while the dog or cat was in the room. Most of the time, they just ignore the sounds from the TV. But, every once in a while, you'll see them wig out a little bit, and totally prick up their ears and stare REALLY intently at the sound source. It's like, for whatever reason, something they heard really got their attention -- haha.

Well, that's what it's like when you hear an excellent recording via speakers as good as the Sierra-2 -- except it's for us humans There's just this uncanny realism that cannot be conveyed any other way. It's the difference between, "that's a really good pair of speakers" vs. "that just sounds REAL!"

There's just something extra that goes off in your brain. Something that says, "that's real! Holy crap. This is awesome!"

Yeah, you've gotta get the Sierra-2. I've rarely felt this certain about a tough decision. But, it is 100% the way you should go

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    The sound is just to muddy and I feel big for the room. I want a much more clear and instrument separation speaker system.
    Are you sure the issue is the speakers and not the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post
    Are you sure the issue is the speakers and not the room?
    Not 100% I have done a lot of changing around. I have put a few room treatments up as well. I know I can do much better in the room too. It has hardwood floors with a throw rug. Would like to get carpet in that room to help reduce any reflections. There is more to do for sure. I have just not been happy with the Polk's since I got them. To me. I have a big system in a little room. I think it's to much. And to be honest. I have two JBL Creature speakers with a sub woofer set up on my computer here at work and it sounds more detailed..