Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oppo or not ??

Default Oppo or not ??

I am all digital and stream music from pandora and spotify. Want to pick a universal player which can play CDs, DVD, Blurays and stream from a media server. I plan to get a roku stick or WD Tv live player and may be even an apple tv.

Just wondering if I have to get an OPPO or any other bluray player from SONY or samsung will do?. I see that there are very religious supporters of OPPO but not sure if it is worth the dough for me in the sense that it adds any value from a audio perspective.

Can some one talk to me into or away from an oppo 103 please?? :-)

If it helps: planning to get a samsung 8500 series 3d plasma smart tv. I have Ascend Towers with RAAL for my LCR.

- Ron

Default Re: Oppo or not ??

103 is nice, but unless you need some specific feature it has, a Sony S5100 would do the job just as well and for a lot less. From an audio perspective, Pandora's 128 kbps and Spotify's 160 kbps streams will be your biggest limitation anyway. (If you have a paid subscription, the bit rates are higher.)

I am inclined to agree with Kisakuku, even though I just purchased an oppo 103D. The Sony S5100 will play pretty much anything you need, and is a great deal at $100. I got the 103D mainly because I wanted to try the Darbee and the split A/V on the dual HDMI outputs. It's an excellent player but probably overkill unless you are looking for a specific feature.

The Oppo will play SACD and DVD- Audio discs. I really enjoy my surround discs from Beck, Porcupine Tree and others.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The Oppo will play SACD and DVD- Audio discs. I really enjoy my surround discs from Beck, Porcupine Tree and others.
    The Sony will play SACD as well.

I love my Oppo 103, but it remains a little bit buggy to me for such an expensive player.

I've had two Oppos (one is downstairs now) and I got it for the music: Music is just much better with it than with any other DVD player which I've used for Cds.

Quote Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post
    I love my Oppo 103, but it remains a little bit buggy to me for such an expensive player.
    What sort of bugs have you encountered?

There is no contest here with Sony and Oppo 103. With $100, you can buy 5 sonys for the price of one Oppo :-). I have been using my sony s380 for close to 3 years now and I'm very happy with it.

Pegleg, what connection are you using to play CDs? HDMI/coax/Analog?? I have used HDMI for mostly Blu Rays/DVDs/SACDs and occasionally CDs. (I stream my music using squeezebox).

For Audio, you have to step up to Oppo 105. At $1200, Oppo could be providing value there sine it can also be used as a pre-pro. However for that price or less, there are many dedicated DACs that can give Oppo a run for the money.

Sony vs Oppo....

if you want to do DVD-A, the it is Oppo, as Sony doesn't support that format.
    -curtis