Thread: Sierra 2 Instillation Questions

Default Sierra 2 Instillation Questions

Hi all,

I got started on on the installation process last night. I had enough time to finish the right speaker but I have some questions.

Should the the tweeter and woofer be PERFECTLY flush with the speaker? To the eye everything looks even but when I run finger my finger around each component I can tell some areas are slightly raised (as those areas create a tiny lip over the cabinet).

Also I forgot to put in the felt gasket in the tweeter cut out which covers the screw holes. Besides any normal precautions, is there anything I should be careful of when unscrewing the tweeter to put the gasket back in?

Thanks,
    Greg

Default Re: Sierra 2 Instillation Questions

As long as the screws are tight you should be fine. I noticed some raised areas as well but it has no affect on performance.

I assume the gasket you are referring to is the cork gasket? I did not have any felt gaskets with mine. There was a cork gasket which goes in 1st and a phenolic spacer disc between that and the underside of the faceplate.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the quick reply! I got both the cork gasket and spacer in.

Within the plastic bag that had your order receipt there were black gaskets to put between the cabinet and the new sub.

When I took out the original tweeter one of these gaskets separated the tweeter from the cabinet. I'm assuming this piece should be put back in before the cork gasket and spacer?

That was the gasket for the original tweeter and is not used with the RAAL. It will not hurt anything to leave them in so I would not worry about removing them. The 2 gaskets in the bag are, as you said, for the new woofers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hi all,

I installed the upgrade in the left speaker last night. Everything sounds great but I have a few more questions.

1. I pulled the magnetic protector off the tweeter incorrectly when upgrading the left channel. It doesn't "sound" broken when playing music. Is there any way to tell if I damaged the tweeter?

2. One of the screws in the subwoofer cabinet seemed to be on a slight angle (don't know if this was from manufacturing or my doing). Could this affect the subs performance or cause any long term issues?

Thanks for all the help!
    Greg

Hi Greg,

1. I pulled the magnetic protector off the tweeter incorrectly when upgrading the left channel. It doesn't "sound" broken when playing music. Is there any way to tell if I damaged the tweeter?
    Don't worry about it at all.. You don't need to pull the protector off in the direction of the arrow, it is just there as a guideline. The idea is to not create a sharp impulse of air by snapping the protector on or off etc. While extremely rare, a sharp impulse to the ribbon could theoretically damage the ribbon and, if this was the case, it would sound horrible. Offhand, I do not know how many RAAL ribbons we have sold (more than any other audio company at this point in time) but our production guys have, on occasion, snapped that protector by accident and we have yet to damage a single ribbon tweeter. Don't worry about it all

2. One of the screws in the subwoofer cabinet seemed to be on a slight angle (don't know if this was from manufacturing or my doing). Could this affect the subs performance or cause any long term issues?
    Zero affect on performance, as long as the screw is tight.

Enjoy!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com