Thread: Advice on replacing HK 635

Default Advice on replacing HK 635

i'm ready to update the HK 635 I bought with my ascends (3xCMT340 for LCR, 2xCBM170 for rear, HSU VTF sub), after many years of fine listening.

Our main use is home theatre for roku streaming video (netflix and amazon).
    Rarely (but i'd like to make sure it's enabled) is streaming from a macbook or thinkpad using HDMI.

Other sources (only occasional) a laptop via HDMI and a DVD Blue-Ray. So lots of inputs aren't important.

THe only reason i want to upgrade is that some streams are sent in some kind of "Dolby Plus" the HK 635 doesn't do. But if I can improve, I'll go for it. I'll spend what I need to, if that's really what it costs to get a difference I can hear.

Some features I'd like:
    * Really clear dialog and good music from video both
    we like dramas with great music
    (lots of modes of signal processing are a toy, i want to set it and leave it.)
    * multi-location auto-equalization (the room is awkward)
    * Bluetooth and wired play from iphone, android, ipad
    * DLNA etc
    * low power draw when not making sound
    we're lazy and don't turn off the amp

Would be nice, but not important:
    * second zone powered stereo of the same source as Zone 1.
    (Turn on/off the movie in the kitchen)

vaguely interesting for future:
    4X upscaling (maybe if i go 4X I should just wait, or buy something else), 3D pass-through (but right now, i'm switching sources through the TV)

Some questions:
    bi-amping the 340 LR is silly, right? For my sources
    How much power do I need, really? the HK's rating wasn't that high

Default Re: Advice on replacing HK 635

Nate

The Denon X4000 seems to have everything, and then some. But Denon seems to have problems with my primary application (DD+ from Netflix (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/do...enon-receivers.

So I wonder if I should try some other brand

Onkyo NR929? http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Yamaha? Marantz?

Quote Originally Posted by lmm View Post
    The Denon X4000 seems to have everything, and then some. But Denon seems to have problems with my primary application (DD+ from Netflix (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/do...enon-receivers.

So I wonder if I should try some other brand

Onkyo NR929? http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Yamaha? Marantz?
    Thanks for including a link to the AVS thread about Netflix DD+ and Denon receivers. I have an X4000 and am experiencing this issue streaming Netflix DD+ from an Oppo 103D. There seems to be a significant amount of anecdotal evidence on the thread that it is a Denon issue, although it was also reported on a Sony receiver, and some Denon owners reported no problems. At least I know I'm not crazy... well, at least as it relates to this particular issue anyway.

Since Netflix DD+ is one of your primary sources, I agree you should avoid the X4000 for now. A shame, since its an excellent receiver otherwise.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I switched the Oppo 103D to output LPCM (it was set to Auto). Problem solved, so that would indicate that the issue is with the Denon X4000 decoding of DD+.
    Last edited by Peabody; 01-04-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Since Netflix DD+ is one of your primary sources, I agree you should avoid the X4000 for now. A shame, since its an excellent receiver otherwise.
    Denon released a Firmware update on 2/19 that is supposed to address this issue. I haven't tested it yet, but will probably do so this weekend.

Ken