Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    On a side note. When using the Sierra 2's with and without sub will I set them to full range on my Emotiva USP-1. Wasn't sure since these are book shelf what the settings would be.
    Yup...full range.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yup...full range.
    I am supprised by that since I don't use the Polk LSi-15 in full range when using a sub.
    So just to be clear. I will use full range with a sub on the Sierra 2's..

Quote Originally Posted by SGCSG1 View Post
    For stands check out www.skylanstands.com

I'm trying to upload a nice pic of them with a Sierra on them, but it doesn't seem to work? I get an upload but then there's a pic exclamation point next to it. ???

Whoa...those skylanstands look very nice...I know Dave recommended the Sanus SF series for the Sierra1 IIRC. I also recall another Ascend member posting his own custom built stands for his Sierras and mentioned he could build matching custom stands for others...just can't find the post...I have tried..no luck...I'm not sure if Dave would approve or disapprove in dealing with another member in such a manner.

As for the 26" stands I thought with the height of the Sierra 1...sat on the perfect plane to the main LP for my situation. The 30" would have been 1"-2" to high.
    Last edited by billy p; 01-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I also recall another Ascend member posting his own custom built stands for his Sierras and mentioned he could build matching custom stands for others...just can't find the post...I have tried..no luck...I'm not sure if Dave would approve or disapprove in dealing with another member in such a manner.
    That was Jason Coleman from three or four years ago. I got my custom bamboo stands from him. He doesn't do it any longer. He has since moved from Sierra-1's to big Dali floorstanders.

My stands are actually 30"-31" tall. At the time I got them, I needed them to clear an arm of a sofa. I think 26" would have been perfect. Since then the room has changed a lot. I move my ears up and down a foot or so, and I can't hear a difference. This is at a distance of about 9'.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Whoa...those skylanstands look very nice...I know Dave recommended the Sanus SF series for the Sierra1 IIRC. I also recall another Ascend member posting his own custom built stands for his Sierras and mentioned he could build matching custom stands for others...just can't find the post...I have tried..no luck...I'm not sure if Dave would approve or disapprove in dealing with another member in such a manner.

As for the 26" stands I thought with the height of the Sierra 1...sat on the perfect plane to the main LP for my situation. The 30" would have been 1"-2" to high.
    I've been buying stands from Noel (Skylan) for ten years or so. They are pretty much perfect - Noel makes them to your desired custom height and makes the top plate so it perfectly fits (and supports) your speaker. I'll never go back to metal stands again.

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    I am supprised by that since I don't use the Polk LSi-15 in full range when using a sub.
    So just to be clear. I will use full range with a sub on the Sierra 2's..
    I mis-read "with and without"....and yes, without a sub, use the Sierra-2's fullrange.

With a sub, just like you do with the LSi-15's, you will NOT use the Sierra-2's fullrange.
    -curtis

Normally I'd agree with Curtis here......small with a sub. However, the 2's are so dynamic and handle loads of power with ease that I would suggest experimenting with what settings work best. I actually run mine full range with the sub with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Normally I'd agree with Curtis here......small with a sub. However, the 2's are so dynamic and handle loads of power with ease that I would suggest experimenting with what settings work best. I actually run mine full range with the sub with no issues.
    But then you are doubling the bass somewhere in the FR.

I would actually go fullrange without a sub (the bass is that good) before fullrange with a sub.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-30-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That was Jason Coleman from three or four years ago. I got my custom bamboo stands from him. He doesn't do it any longer. He has since moved from Sierra-1's to big Dali floorstanders.

My stands are actually 30"-31" tall. At the time I got them, I needed them to clear an arm of a sofa. I think 26" would have been perfect. Since then the room has changed a lot. I move my ears up and down a foot or so, and I can't hear a difference. This is at a distance of about 9'.
    Whew...I knew, I wasn't imaging things...now, if I only kept my Sierra 1's...I'd likely be talking about the S2 upgrade and have something more valuable to contribute.

Cheers, Bill...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Default Sierra-2 Checklist

My checklist after having spent a good deal of quality time with my new Sierra-2s

airy, sparkly, realistic, RAAL top end: check
    bass extension (typical in room response) to around 40 Hz: check
    High end transient impact of the first order: check
    Midrange transient impact of the first order: check
    Bass transient impact of the first order: check, and double check
    unbelievably transparent imaging: check
    gets loud without strain, or compression: check
    huge dynamic range: check
    stickler for details: check
    no listener fatigue to be found regardless of volume: check
    tremendous performance/price ratio: check
    quality fit, and finish: check

I would say the biggest surprise I have found with the Sierra-2s is the power, and brutal transient abilities of these speakers. Second is the control in the bass region, they are extremely capable, and yet very tight, and controlled. The new mid/woofer driver in the Sierra-2 is a very remarkable achievement, Seas, and Dave must be thrilled with the outcome!

I have the new Twos installed as side surrounds in my 5.1 "theater" system now, and am very pleased with them. As surrounds, there are many times they do their job quietly, and without notice. On the occasions when I'm playing surround music that has a liberal mix that makes more than average use of them, it's just so cool how they have the same sonic signature of the RAAL equipped front stage. I really thought the Sierra-NRTs did a great job, and yet there is a distinct difference between blending well, and actually matching. And the Twos match up with the RAAL equipped Towers, and Horizon perfectly.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 02-01-2014 at 02:54 PM.