Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

So Curtis, were you moved enough to want to upgrade?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    So Curtis, were you moved enough to want to upgrade?
    Jay...yes.

I own the second set of Sierra-1's sold, about 7 years now I think. I held off on the NrT upgrade because of priorities, but the Sierra-2's have pushed me over the edge.

What I want to do is give my Parents my Sierra-1's....they currently have a "classic" CMT-340/CBM-170 setup, and get a set of Sierra-2's for my LCR.

At the shop yesterday, we did see a set of natural Tower enclosures....I thought they were gorgeous. Thinking about it last night, the Towers, along with a Horizon...with RAALs, would be a lot for my room..and budget. So Sierra-2's it will be.

Now, I will do my taxes, see how that works out, and then plan for the Sierra-2's. Also have to decide what finish I want.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Jay...yes.

I own the second set of Sierra-1's sold, about 7 years now I think. I held off on the NrT upgrade because of priorities, but the Sierra-2's have pushed me over the edge.

What I want to do is give my Parents my Sierra-1's....they currently have a "classic" CMT-340/CBM-170 setup, and get a set of Sierra-2's for my LCR.

At the shop yesterday, we did see a set of natural Tower enclosures....I thought they were gorgeous. Thinking about it last night, the Towers, along with a Horizon...with RAALs, would be a lot for my room..and budget. So Sierra-2's it will be.

Now, I will do my taxes, see how that works out, and then plan for the Sierra-2's. Also have to decide what finish I want.
    I have Towers, and a Horizon in satin espresso, and imported S-2s in satin espresso, S-1NRTs in gloss espresso, and I also have some unused natural cabinets.

The imported satin espresso cabs are more reddish than the domestic cabs, and of course do not have the reveal around the front baffle. The imported satin is also more glossy than the domestic, I'd call it more a semi-gloss than satin finish. I think the gloss cabs are gorgeous, but the gloss is a pain due to how much they show finger prints and dust. I guess I am most pleased with my domestic satin espresso finish, it does a better job of showing off the bamboo grain, and is just classy IMHO. I'd also think the satin black bamboo would suit my tastes well.

I have no doubt that if you do get the Sierra-2s, you'll be thrilled with them, they are truly a wonderful product.

Jay

I can second everything Curtis said about the Sierra 2.

The remaining question for me is an aesthetic one: can I find a stand that will look good with an espresso Sierra. I have some old stands that went with the 340s, but I don't think they will look that great with the Sierra. Towers, though, would look awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I have Towers, and a Horizon in satin espresso, and imported S-2s in satin espresso, S-1NRTs in gloss espresso, and I also have some unused natural cabinets.

The imported satin espresso cabs are more reddish than the domestic cabs, and of course do not have the reveal around the front baffle. The imported satin is also more glossy than the domestic, I'd call it more a semi-gloss than satin finish. I think the gloss cabs are gorgeous, but the gloss is a pain due to how much they show finger prints and dust. I guess I am most pleased with my domestic satin espresso finish, it does a better job of showing off the bamboo grain, and is just classy IMHO. I'd also think the satin black bamboo would suit my tastes well.

I have no doubt that if you do get the Sierra-2s, you'll be thrilled with them, they are truly a wonderful product.

Jay
    What's this front baffle reveal?

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    What's this front baffle reveal?
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5535#post45535

Let Dave explain it ^^^^^

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Great read. Any idea what stands the Sierra's are on..
    Looking at the base, they look like the Sanus Steel Series
    http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/...speaker-stands

I use the SF30 for my surround speakers.
    Last edited by slowturn; 01-27-2014 at 12:40 PM.

For stands check out www.skylanstands.com

I'm trying to upload a nice pic of them with a Sierra on them, but it doesn't seem to work? I get an upload but then there's a pic exclamation point next to it. ???
    Last edited by SGCSG1; 01-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.

Ordered the Sanus SF26 this morning. I looked all over for the 30 on Amazon but no one had them. I had to order from Amazon since I had a gift cert..
    On a side note. When using the Sierra 2's with and without sub will I set them to full range on my Emotiva USP-1. Wasn't sure since these are book shelf what the settings would be.

Skylan two-post stands with Sierra-1's.

smaller.jpg