Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Nice pic Hlam. Are those PB or Espresso?

eliwankenobi
    The speakers are satin espresso.
    Mag_Neato's guess was correct. Rocket big foot center.
    Here is a closer picture:
    DSCN0578 (640x480).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    eliwankenobi
    The speakers are satin espresso.
    Mag_Neato's guess was correct. Rocket big foot center.
    Here is a closer picture:
    DSCN0578 (640x480).jpg
    Thank you Hlam, they look very nice! Enjoy them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    I know! Without a pic it did not happen.
    Attachment 1038
    How u liking the S2 as rears? Thinking about changing out my HTM-200 for some S2 to match my LCR.

Okay, so I’ve had my Sierra 2’s for about three weeks now. Just to mention, I am strictly a 2 channel music person, so my opinions may be severely limited to some in that regard as I am not much into home theaterI listen to classical, rock, R&B, hip hop, and Jazz. However, Jazz is by far the lion share of my music collection (in a good mix of both vinyl and digital formats). But just as Bsound eluded to in post# 1265 of the Sierra2 development thread, I’ve found myself listening to music mostly from my CD collection, which is a little unusual for me since my last upgrade (S1-NrT) where I enjoyed listening to my vinyl collection most of the time. It’s interesting to note that although the Sierra 2’s are very adept at revealing information extremely well from both formats, the clarity, depth and detail the Sierra 2’s provide for both redbook and SACD’s is nothing short of outstanding especially when the recording itself is of higher quality (even from average source components like mine). I suspect though that part of my recent affinity for listening to my CD’s has more to do with just being a lazy basterd - I can put a SACD in and play it for hours of musical enjoyment and not have to move my arse until I’m ready for something new off the rack. These S2’s are just so enjoyable to listen to that I don’t really feel like getting up to flip a record right now (maybe not ever!) It’s funny to admit, but it seems that the longer I sit and listen to a track like Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue” (SACD) for example, I hear some new subtle information that I didn’t hear the 1st, 2nd or 3rd time – there is certainly a break-in period that the S2’s demand and it’s simply beautiful to behold.
    My room is about 16’x16’ with about 12’-14’ high ceilings, my floor is carpeted and I have the Sierra 2’s sitting in each corner of my listening area about 2 ft. behind my thick leather couch on a pair of Sanus (sand filled) UF-30’s which places the tweeter at about ear level. I know it’s not the optimal placement, but with twin 4yr. old boys terrorizing the house, this is the best that I could do for now. I’m powering them with an Emotiva XPA2 Gen2 along with a Marantz 15s2 SACD player. In addition, I’m using a Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 Sub for the lower end. The first thing that stood out to me almost immediately after I did the upgrade was how smooth and articulate the S2’s are even at very low listening levels where I do most of my listening, they seem to be particularly well suited for listening to jazz and classical music. The one thing that I find most intriguing is the difference in how the S2 performs when pushed as compared to the S1-NrT. I put in an old Jimi Hendrix Blues CD that I burned a few years back, and I played a track called “Electric Church Red House” at a pretty high volume level – so much so that my wife and boys had to leave the room. The RAAL tweeter seemed to disappear! In fact, the whole damn speaker disappeared and simply gave back exactly what was being inputted without any strain or effort, the music just filled the room – stunning!! The S1-NrT on the other hand was outstanding in its own right, but the one thing that I noticed was that the NrT tweeter made its presence known somewhat when it was pushed – it sounded sharper but slightly less articulate at the same volume levels. To me, I think the bass is slightly deeper in the S1-NrT, but I think it is negligible as compared to the S2, and in fact, at high volume listening levels the S2’s bass and mid bass is a bit more articulate, detailed and composed as well. As I’ve heard in some of the other posts, I think it’s an accurate statement to say that the speaker simply disappears from the room when playing literally anything on any format, and for me, that’s all that I’ve been searching for. I mean let’s be honest, the S2 is not unique in this regard as there are other quality well performing speakers capable of doing the same thing that I’m raving about, but certainly not at this price-point. The thing that I appreciate most about Dave Fabrikant and all the contributors at Ascend Acoustics is that they’ve taken the time and depth of thought to produce a product that the average working class stiff (me) can afford, and as a consequence, I’ve been freed from the burden of being a “stereophile”. I can now settle into becoming one which I define as a true “audiophile” – someone who recognizes, appreciates, and simply enjoys listening to quality well recorded music regardless of genre.

This is a luxury we all can now afford to take a little step closer to.

Thanks Dave

Current Set up:

Sierra 2's (1 pr)
    NAD c165BEE preamp
    Marantz SA-15s2 (SACD)
    Emotiva XPA2-Gen2
    Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 (sub)
    Furman (Power Cond.)
    Last edited by ADWhite; 01-26-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Great write up. I am looking forward to getting mine soon. I placed my order this past Thursday. I will be using a similar set up but in a smaller 11x14 room. XPA-1, USP-1 with Martin Logan Grotto sub. I have a Marantz PM8004 Integrated with a CD6004 in my bedroom. Really thinking of using my Marantz gear with the Sierra's since I like the warmer sound when compared to the Emotiva gear. Not sure how I would use my sub with the Marantz however.

Myself, mziegler, and mikesiskav got to hear the Sierra-2 at Ascend Acoustics today.

First, I want to thank Dave for taking the time on a Sunday to host us for a few hours.

We listened to numerous tracks. I personally through stuff at it that I am very familiar with...tracks that I heard tens if not hundreds of times...stuff that tests the bass, the midrange, the treble, imaging, a dynamics.

The Sierra-2's are exceptionally clean and detailed throughout...if it is in the recording, you are going to hear it.

The first thing I noticed with my material was the bass....clean and articulate. I listen to my current Sierra-1's with a Rythmik F15HP crossed at 80hz. While the Sierra-2's on their own won't play as deep, but what they do play is every bit as good..with authority and articulation. With the material we played, a sub certainly was not necessary. The custom SEAS woofer is every bit as important to the Sierra-2 as the RAAL tweeter. We played material and measured 105+dB peaks at 12 feet...the Sierra-2 never screamed...handled it all in stride. These things are incredibly dynamic for a bookshelf speaker.

The midrange is as clean as ever. We did not get to compare to a Sierra Tower, as Dave was down to his last set of Tower cabinets...and nice pair of naturals. I fell in love with empty cabinets as I really like the new reveal on the front baffle...so nice. This same reveal will be on Sierra-1/2 cabinets that are built locally. Anyways, the midrange is outstanding...clear, open, articulate(fast).

The treble...I can't say anymore than has already been said about a RAAL tweeter. Natural, extended, and detailed. Extremely wide dispersion/soundstage. I detected no immediately issues from being seated to standing...so I don't think vertical dispersion will be an issue for anyone. No fatigue while listening as loudly as we did.

Imaging is outstanding. Well recorded material will show this. Every instrument/sound is separated and has it's proper space. A picture that is in focus.

On top of all of this, the overall sound of the speaker is extremely coherent. It is safe to say that Dave achieved "synergy" when he created the Sierra-2.

I'm at home and listening to my Sierra-1's with my Rythmik. I still love them, but the Sierra-2 is clearly a notch or two or three above.

I took some pictures:

mikesiskav and mziegler settling in for the first listen:

The Sierra-2 in piano black (mikesiskav in the reflection):

People always wonder what electronics Dave uses in the demo room. Rotel pre/pro, Oppo 105 Universal disc player, Onyx CD (not used anymore), ADA PTM-6150 amp:

The RAALs...Ascend proprietary RAAL used in the Sierra-2 on the left, RAAL 70-20XR used in the Towers on the right:

More pics of the backside of the Sierra-2 RAAL:

That iPhone 5S takes pretty decent pictures.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-30-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    -curtis

Great read. Any idea what stands the Sierra's are on..

Nice pics! That RAAL from the tower is huge. Quite a contrast to the Sierra-2 custom unit.

I did some more listening tonight and continue to be impressed with them. Although they deserve a diet of well recorded material to really strut their stuff, I played some old time disco to finish up my listening session. Donna Summers "I feel love" never sounded better!

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Great read. Any idea what stands the Sierra's are on..
    Dave told us...but I can't remember what he said.

Maybe mziegler or mikesiskav will remember and chime in. Otherwise, send Ascend an email and ask.
    -curtis