Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I'll gladly take - and pass - any double-blind A/B you want comparing cables to no cables.

By the way, read before you rant next time.
    LOL. I think he missed your sarcasm. But there's plenty of people in the audiophile community who believe that their ears are among the one in thousands that can perceive differences between two identical sounds. That's psychoacoustics for you. Engineering and science is another matter.

I'll take a pair of unshielded 14-gauge oxygen-free copper cables for my speaker wire any day over a bi-wired (4 strands) of the same 14-gauge oxygen-free copper cable (2 strands per terminal) for any run under 40 feet. What you gain in decreased resistance you would probably lose in increased capacitance, but the differences would not be audible. I'm a fan of the Blue Jeans Cable keep-it-simple design.

But seriously. You can buy 100 feet of 12-gauge Beldon 5000UP paired speaker wire for 80 dollars plus shipping. If you truly believe that 12-gauge is better than 14-gauge or 16-gauge for a 10 or 20 foot run of speaker wire (the difference is NOT audible), you can save yourself a lot of money by just running the wire and using bare copper ends for your termination. A good paired 12-gauge speaker cable should run you less than a dollar per foot. If your speaker wires are only 10 feet long, you don't need anything more than 16-gauge copper wire unless you are driving massive current into a 2-ohm speaker. Don't pay more.
    Last edited by bkdc; 04-14-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    I'll gladly take - and pass - any double-blind A/B you want comparing cables to no cables.

By the way, read before you rant next time.
    Whoops - my bad. I have spent too much time on AVS lately where they will even rant about the font you use in your posts and it's tax time. Plus I keep waiting on an email telling me my Horizon has shipped. Come on Dave, how about some good news during tax week. 14 weeks and waiting - patiently - sort of.

I can finally write my impressions of the S2's! I have had them for over a week now and they are excellent as expected. With our 6 month old, my listening time has been very limited. I was only able to A/B them with my RAAL Towers for a short period before I threw them up on my wall mounts (as surrounds).

As I stated in a separate thread, My fronts are crossed over around 80hz so I only focused on the highs and mids. To me, the mids were fuller with more "weight" on the Towers. I used some well recorded guitar tracks and the plucking seemed to stand out more on the Towers if that makes sense. The highs on both were identical to my ears. Sorry I cannot comment more on the lows, I just didn't have the time. They did sound tight and punchy though!

As surrounds, the S2's sound great! With movies, the difference from my original sierras is minimal but with MCH music, its a nice improvement. I was, on some tracks able to hear some timbre differences when certain music traveled around the room, now its completely seamless. The S2's blend exceptionally well with the RAAL Towers for this application. I bought them not expecting a night and day difference. Its subtle on most material, but worth it if ones into MCH music. I have gotten into Steven Wilsons stuff as of late, cool tracks!

Now with RAALs all around (Horizon RAAL center too), I cannot foresee making any speaker changes for quite some time.

Thanks Dave, well done.

What are you using for subs merrymaid?

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    What are you using for subs merrymaid?
    Dual 15" Rythmiks.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Dual 15" Rythmiks.
    Sealed? What models and how you like them?

Sealed? What models and how you like them?
    One d15se and a E15hp both sealed of course. Someday I'll sell one to get a matching pair. I like the form factor of the E better.
    I love them. I've heard many subs before and these are some of the most articulate subs you can buy!

One d15se and a E15hp both sealed of course. Someday I'll sell one to get a matching pair. I like the form factor of the E better.
    I love them. I've heard many subs before and these are some of the most articulate subs you can buy!
    Does it sound too lean for movies? gives you that chest thumping bass? I'm looking at buying the E15, you get the PB to match your speakers?

Does it sound too lean for movies? gives you that chest thumping bass? I'm looking at buying the E15, you get the PB to match your speakers?
    I don't feel it lacks during movies. They hit hard and deep in my room, both are EQd flat. They may not have the output some ported subs posess, but impressive nonetheless.

Piano black throughout!

I don't feel it lacks during movies. They hit hard and deep in my room, both are EQd flat. They may not have the output some ported subs posess, but impressive nonetheless.

Piano black throughout!
    Yeah, I'm leaning toward the E15 in PB, how well does it match up to the Sierra-2 PB?