Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by duvallite View Post
    Just now decided to join the Ascend forums. After reading all of the great comments everywhere on all of the Sierra models, I will likely be springing for a pair of the Sierra-2s hopefully fairly soon, for a music only system I'm putting together. I'll be using a Rogue Sphinx integrated hybrid to drive them for use primarily with vinyl for now, but also some CDs. The room is carpeted and 11x13. Any recommendations for speaker cables that might work well with this combination, $350 or less? What about ICs also? I like rich, clear sound, listening to 70s & 80s pop & rock, jazz, Motown, and some country.
    Welcome to the forum duvallite!

Awesome choice in integrated amp! For budget cables, I second Eric's recommendation for the blue jeans cables, and if you want to save even more on cost and put more work into it like bkdc, his recommendation is good.

Cables do make a difference. If you want to go a definite step up the ladder of performance, imo it would be hard to beat Anticables for value, both cables and interconnects. No doubt there are others of good value, but from my reading over the years the Anticables seem to have made the biggest surprise-impression on those who experiment with cables. Please keep us posted on your choices!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    Welcome to the forum duvallite!

Awesome choice in integrated amp! For budget cables, I second Eric's recommendation for the blue jeans cables, and if you want to save even more on cost and put more work into it like bkdc, his recommendation is good.

Cables do make a difference. If you want to go a definite step up the ladder of performance, imo it would be hard to beat Anticables for value, both cables and interconnects. No doubt there are others of good value, but from my reading over the years the Anticables seem to have made the biggest surprise-impression on those who experiment with cables. Please keep us posted on your choices!

Mark
    Markie, in a different thread you mentioned that you have not yet heard a pair of Sierra-2s. I'm curious as to whether or not you actually own any Ascend Acoustics products, and if so which ones.

I would also like to ask you, in the interests of transparency, if you are involved in any manner with the sale, or distribution of audio equipment.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

No I don't yet own any Ascend products, nor have I heard any. But I know from reports that they are good, and I believe the reports.

I am involved in the distribution of audio equipment. For instance in the last week I helped my 86 year old father in law get a $100 turntable, a $250 stereo receiver with phono input, and a $15 driver belt for an old turntable that stopped working. Other than that, not much!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    No I don't yet own any Ascend products, nor have I heard any. But I know from reports that they are good, and I believe the reports.

I am involved in the distribution of audio equipment. For instance in the last week I helped my 86 year old father in law get a $100 turntable, a $250 stereo receiver with phono input, and a $15 driver belt for an old turntable that stopped working. Other than that, not much!

Mark
    So kind of you to magnanimously endow us with your considerable "knowledge" for the past 5 years without even having heard any of Ascend's speakers. Interesting that you would feel comfortable suggesting compatible components for a speaker you've not heard.

I'm still curious about the reason why you continue to spread misinformation on this forum such as the cable nonsense, but I suppose you must have your reasons. Surely you must be able to find a forum more open to the "audiophoolery" you subscribe to.

Note: The thread topic here pertains to "New Sierra-2 Impressions", do you not think it might be a touch more logical to actually own, or at least have listened to a pair before commenting about them, or their supporting hardware?

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 04-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.

I for one don't prescribe to the notion that you must own said products in order to be a valuable contributor to any forum. I know you two have some history on varied options of all things audio related. Most of us in this hobby likely have a good understanding where some of these myths lie...some truly believe they exist & others don't.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

With all due respect, Jay, I for one know that cables make a HUGE difference in my system.

Without them, it doesn't sound very good at all. But with them? Oh, it's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I for one don't prescribe to the notion that you must own said products in order to be a valuable contributor to any forum. I know you two have some history on varied options of all things audio related. Most of us in this hobby likely have a good understanding where some of these myths lie...some truly believe they exist & others don't.
    There are plenty of topics here I would be inclined to agree with your opinion. OTOH, when someone asks about a product I have no first hand knowledge of, it seems prudent to let someone else with knowledge of said product to answer.

In a different thread, Mark comments about how a competing speaker compares with the Sierra Towers, again without having even heard the Towers. I find the whole notion ludicrous, but maybe that's just me.

There are also some subjects in audio that are open to "opinion", cables are not one of them. It is a well known fact to anyone with any credibility that the properties of a conductor are well known and documented beyond any interpretation. Any other viewpoint is not opinion, it's absurdity.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    With all due respect, Jay, I for one know that cables make a HUGE difference in my system.

Without them, it doesn't sound very good at all. But with them? Oh, it's wonderful.

It's called bias - you buy something more expensive and expectation takes over for reality. A true blind a/b would demo said bias. No study has ever shown that a Monoprice, Blue Jean or less expensive cables to be inferior to cables costing more. Sorry but this is bull crap - and discussed to death on every audio forum out there. There are much better ways to spend your $ that will actually result in measurable improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
    It's called bias - you buy something more expensive and expectation takes over for reality. A true blind a/b would demo said bias. No study has ever shown that a Monoprice, Blue Jean or less expensive cables to be inferior to cables costing more. Sorry but this is bull crap - and discussed to death on every audio forum out there. There are much better ways to spend your $ that will actually result in measurable improvements.
    I'm pretty sure Beave agrees with me, he is being sarcastic. Yeah, a system doesn't sound so good without ANY cables LOL!

Jay

Wink Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
    I'll gladly take - and pass - any double-blind A/B you want comparing cables to no cables.

By the way, read before you rant next time.