Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you guys are talking about your AV Receiver's here... Just confused me a little since all I do is 2 channel music only systems.
    Yes...we are.

But aren't you using a receiver with bass management as well? It shouldn't make a difference between 2-channel and multi-channel.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yes...we are.

But aren't you using a receiver with bass management as well? It shouldn't make a difference between 2-channel and multi-channel.
    My Emotiva USP-1 has bass management. It's different than an AVR set up. Simple really. All you do is hook it up to high pass and dial in your cross over. I normally have mine set around 80...
    I however won't be using the Emotiva gear at first. My XPA-2 is going in for repair. I will be using my Marantz PM8004 without a sub for a while.

All right guys!

Here it is my newly upgraded Sierra-2s

IMG_3749-2.jpg

I upgraded from NrTs.. and all I have to say is this... ignorance is bliss. I know many of you would have been more than happy keeping your NrTs as they were excellent.. Like a picture through a very clean glass....now the S2 has broken that glass as others have mentioned.

This are just quick impressions...from a copule of hours of listening this morning... but boy am I glad I did this upgrade.

I set them on top of the boxes (box on the left is for the S2 center I ordered) in a near field configuration to get a quick glance at how they perform. I don't have proper stands yet and for the moment I also have many reflective surfaces, so I wanted to minimized that as much as possible. I was sitting like maybe between 3-4 ft away, on the floor over a carpet.

I am very impressed. They sound very open and clean. Imaging is great! very precise, width of soundstage went actually a little beyond the speaker edges which is awesome. Even being that close to the speaker, all sounded like...sounds or voices in the air...not coming from the speaker at all..I can confirm that they are very dynamic too with more impact than the NrTs which were great speakers.

More to come as I set up the speakers on stands and setup the center speaker. I also plan on getting a measuring mike to get into REW too. Perhaps I make a new thread for that, but wanted to share with others here how amazing these things are!

I have been auditioning speakers for a very long time while also saving money for them...These were right within my budget and their performance is right up there with other brands that I like very much but like with other high end companies, their prices are higher too. Congratulations to ASCEND for making such wonderful speakers! Awesome Job Dave!

I also owe a big thank you to merrymaid520 for allowing me to visit and demo his towers with RAAL. It all started with listening to those speakers, they are awesome! Thank you Brandon!
    CURRENT SETUP:
    JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds and sub
    =============================================

Quote Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
    My Emotiva USP-1 has bass management. It's different than an AVR set up. Simple really. All you do is hook it up to high pass and dial in your cross over. I normally have mine set around 80...
    I however won't be using the Emotiva gear at first. My XPA-2 is going in for repair. I will be using my Marantz PM8004 without a sub for a while.
    Nice...but how do you see that as different than an AVR?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    The dynamics of the -2's are excellent. They could put many floorstanders to shame. I would not worry about that at all. I know it has been said again and again, but they really are incredible.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I would love to demo one. Anyone near the Bay Area, California?

Quote Originally Posted by magi44ken View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. I would love to demo one. Anyone near the Bay Area, California?
    If you live in California, is Dan Clemente very far? You could just visit Ascend

California is a big state - from the Bay Area to San Clemente is a good 8 hour drive, assuming you don't get stuck in traffic.

But maybe Dan Clemente is closer?

LOL !! Typing on iPhone with my fat fingers is hard!

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

I also owe a big thank you to merrymaid520 for allowing me to visit and demo his towers with RAAL. It all started with listening to those speakers, they are awesome! Thank you Brandon!
    I am glad you are enjoying the Sierra-2's! It was my pleasure hosting you for the tower demo! Hopefully someday I can visit you and hear them

I wonder how the Sierra-2 compares to some of the Selah Audio kits that also use the RAAL tweeter.