Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I can only go down to 60Hz with the SR6003. 60, 80, 100, etc. up to 180.

I am going to look into adding an external crossover I can run at speaker level between the Marantz and the speakers to use in pure direct.
    So you even heard a difference crossed at 60hz?

Another option for you is a preamp with an HT bypass...but then you would need an external amp.
    -curtis

How is the dynamic when comparing to speaker that uses compression driver with a waveguide or horn? I'm looking for a speaker with very good dynamic for theater and music plus a big sweet spot which RAAL provides compare to dynamic drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by magi44ken View Post
    How is the dynamic when comparing to speaker that uses compression driver with a waveguide or horn? I'm looking for a speaker with very good dynamic for theater and music plus a big sweet spot which RAAL provides compare to dynamic drivers.
    The dynamics of the -2's are excellent. They could put many floorstanders to shame. I would not worry about that at all. I know it has been said again and again, but they really are incredible.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    So you even heard a difference crossed at 60hz?

Another option for you is a preamp with an HT bypass...but then you would need an external amp.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you guys are talking about your AV Receiver's here... Just confused me a little since all I do is 2 channel music only systems.

Well, ended up getting way more than I was expecting on my returns, so it ordered some Sierra-2s. On a side note, I opened a new cc that gives 40,000 miles if you spend > $1,000 in the fisrt 90 days. That covers a $400+ (you also get 2 miles for every dollar spent) plane ticket, enough for a domestic flight. Since I had a trip coming up anyway, that covers my ticket and then you can just fee the money over and close the cc after you redeem your points. So it effectively took $375 or so off the price. Just thought I would put that out there if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Anyway now it's just the waiting game, feeling the anticipation I'm sure all of you who already went through this felt!!

I can only go down to 60Hz with the SR6003. 60, 80, 100, etc. up to 180.

I am going to look into adding an external crossover I can run at speaker level between the Marantz and the speakers to use in pure direct.
    Have you tried running full range for the front and have the sub cross low to around 50 or below just to supplemenet the low end?

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    Have you tried running full range for the front and have the sub cross low to around 50 or below just to supplemenet the low end?
    I did try running them as large with the sub also, but as I said, the crossover only goes down to 60Hz.

The pure direct mode just seems to sound better. More detail larger soundstage. Subtle in certain instances but noticeable.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

I did try running them as large with the sub also, but as I said, the crossover only goes down to 60Hz.

The pure direct mode just seems to sound better. More detail larger soundstage. Subtle in certain instances but noticeable.
    But set the sub amp's crossover to below 50hz. That way it won't also play same signals above 50hz as the speakers.

In other words, don't use the crossover on the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    But set the sub amp's crossover to below 50hz. That way it won't also play same signals above 50hz as the speakers.

In other words, don't use the crossover on the receiver.
    So, set the Sierra's to Large with bass set to "Both" and set the crossover for the sub at 60Hz(lowest setting) in the AVR, and dial the crossover on the Rythmik to 50Hz? Should I leave the toggle on the Rythmik to EXT/12db, or set it at 50Hz/24?
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

So, set the Sierra's to Large with bass set to "Both" and set the crossover for the sub at 60Hz(lowest setting) in the AVR, and dial the crossover on the Rythmik to 50Hz? Should I leave the toggle on the Rythmik to EXT/12db, or set it at 50Hz/24?
    Yeah...I think that would do it. On the sub, I think set it to 50hz/24.

See how that sounds with low bass material.
    -curtis