Page 1 of 22 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Default New Sierra-2 impressions...

I just thought I would start a new thread for those who are now starting to receive their Sierra-2s. The Development thread has gotten a bit long.

I thought this might be a good place for first impressions and comments that do not amount to a full fledged Review.

C'mon, tell us that are still waiting (me) or are still on the fence what we are missing!

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

I still don't have shipping confirmation, BUT, when I do get my new Sierra-2s, I plan to directly compare them to my Sierra-1s (NRTs), side by side (AB-AB configuration) with quick switching using the main, and zone one outputs from my Anthem pre/pro using a five channel amp. I will use a disc with pink noise and an SPL meter to match output levels as accurately as I can. With two sets of Towers, I also plan on comparing the twos with those.

What I'm most curious about is how the mid, and low dynamics compare between the three, and also how well the twos image compared to the Towers. I gotta tell you, the Towers are a VERY tough act to follow!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I still don't have shipping confirmation, BUT, when I do get my new Sierra-2s, I plan to directly compare them to my Sierra-1s (NRTs), side by side (AB-AB configuration) with quick switching using the main, and zone one outputs from my Anthem pre/pro using a five channel amp. I will use a disc with pink noise and an SPL meter to match output levels as accurately as I can. With two sets of Towers, I also plan on comparing the twos with those.

What I'm most curious about is how the mid, and low dynamics compare between the three, and also how well the twos image compared to the Towers. I gotta tell you, the Towers are a VERY tough act to follow!

Jay

Really looking forward to your AB results and other peoples impressions. I'm on the fence between the Sierra-1's and Sierra-2's so info like this is much appreciated!

Just got mine in yesterday and been running them mostly with just television and kids shows for the lil critter.

Packaging was tough and well thought out. The reusable 'cloth' bags for each speaker is a nice touch. These are definitely boxes worth hanging on to for moving/shipping.

My wife was even impressed with the included measurement sheet for each speaker. Very cool that each unit was measured individually. The cotton gloves are nice also. I kinda laughed when I first saw them, but as I unbagged the first speaker my first thought was "I don't want to get fingerprints on these."

So far, with no critical listening at all, I am impressed; they are breaking in nicely. The audio is very detailed, especially at lower volume levels. I have a three year old , so I haven't had a chance to open things up and give them a listen, yet. Maybe Grandma can look after the lil' 'un tonight.

The fit and finish of the speakers is top notch. I chose the satin cherry and they look very nice. The satin finish is also very even and fine. I don't know how else to put it. The sheen on the speakers looks very nice. Also, they just disappear with the lights off.

So far, I couldn't be happier.

Wow, these speakers really open up after a few days of casual listening. I still have not had a chance to give them a workout, but tonight the wife and I watched about half of a movie (yay for having a two year old!) and we were both impressed at how intelligible the dialogue was from the center channel at quite low volume levels.

There is an effortless quality to the sound (shoot, I sound like an audio rag writer) that makes them very non-fatiguing. You know how it can get quite unpleasant trying to make out what every one is saying when you have the volume turned way down? Not a trace of that sort of fatigue with the Sierra-2's. Not exactly the most rockin of tests, but waddaya gonna do? We need to butter up grandma so that we can get some time alone with these babies.

More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Weewax View Post
    Wow, these speakers really open up after a few days of casual listening. I still have not had a chance to give them a workout, but tonight the wife and I watched about half of a movie (yay for having a two year old!) and we were both impressed at how intelligible the dialogue was from the center channel at quite low volume levels.

There is an effortless quality to the sound (shoot, I sound like an audio rag writer) that makes them very non-fatiguing. You know how it can get quite unpleasant trying to make out what every one is saying when you have the volume turned way down? Not a trace of that sort of fatigue with the Sierra-2's. Not exactly the most rockin of tests, but waddaya gonna do? We need to butter up grandma so that we can get some time alone with these babies.

More to come...
    Thanks for confirming that!

I also have a two year old and my media room is rather close to my child's room. And at night when she is sleeping, well... You know it is, so the fact that they maintaing vocal clarity and intelligibility at low volume levels will be a big plus for me. I hope to order the upgrade soon, early in the month.

They really are breaking in nicely. I think if any audio component has a true "break-in" period, it is transducers. The mechanical components have to limber-up, if you will, and the capacitors in the crossover, I believe, are subject to a certain amount of break-in. And these are doing nicely. I recently put my old gear in storage and moved to a Home Theater centric setup.

Until now I was a dedicated stereo/tube geek. I have my stereo setup 90% where I want it and the last 10% I like to get through DIY and tinkering. So I have fairly high standards of what sounds good in my room. My stereo setup (DIY two-way transmission line towers, VAC PA45 amp, heavily modified Bottlehead Foreplay preamp, tweaked Hagtech Bugle phono pre, Rega turntable, rebuilt and modified Audio Alchemy DAC from back-in-the-day, you get the idea...) was at the point where I could hear the varying quality of my house's AC power at different times of the day. But with less and less time to just sit and chill to music, I traded priorities.

So far I have no regrets. My former system (She'll be back! I'll get my mancave one of these days, even if it's in a closet.) had soul. My new setup sounds damn good. I am powering everything with a Marantz 7008 and using an Oppo103d as my blu ray player. I am also have a Rythmik FV15HP on backorder, so the system is still a bit incomplete. But I am really happy with the sound and how it is developing. I have yet to find my new system's soul, but she wouldn't be interesting if she gave it all up right away, right?

I remember when I used to be in the A/V & High-End business (In the nineties and early aughts. Still got my laserdisc player.) guys would point their stereo speakers at each other, wire one of them out of phase, turn up the volume , and then run pink noise through them for 24 hours or so. Me, I just break 'em in like I'm going to use them. Just be careful and don't blow them up.

Man, I'm rambling this morning...I like the speakers!

Yay me!

Very nice Harley!

So am I to understand that currently you are running a 3.0 setup, all Sierra 2's?

I am very glad to hear of the great clarity at low volumes.

You must be somewhat tempted to sneak your high end stereo electronics out of storage, bring them into the family TV room and try them on the Sierra 2's for a day when everyone is out of the house ... (But that's a lot of work for just a bit of listening )

Mark

Yeah, just 3.0 for right now. I just have not had the time to climb up on the ladder and get my surrounds mounted yet. I ordered some CBM-170s for surrounds and I want to make sure and mount them properly to the studs. My little girl is just too interested in anything tool related for me to get the job done. She would be all up in my bidness.

Also, knowing her, she would see tools, screws, speakers, etc. and want to help Daddy and then decide that she needed to fix my Sierras while I am on the ladder. It's probably what I would have done as a kid. My mom says I am paying for my raising. But that is another story.

You know, if I had the time, I really would have loved to switch out each new component and see how it affected the overall sound. I definitely want to try the Sierra 2s with the rest of my old system, but that will have to wait for now.

After my setback Monday when one of my screw heads partially cracked during removal I thought a lot about what to do next including going with different speakers. If you look at what's out there, components/cabinets being used by Dave and others it is easily apparent that the Ascend Sierra 2s are equal (better) to speakers costing a lot more. I would put them up against Salk's bookshelf speakers which cost a heck of a lot more. So I decided to see if I would have better luck doing my other 2 speaker upgrades tonight. About an hour later I had two Sierra 2s and relegated my remaining Sierra 1 to center channel duty -just a flip of the tweeter. Plan now is to return one upgrade kit and order a Horizon for my center with the RAAL upgrade. Happy Birthday to me - at the end of the month. That's not implying a Sierra doesn't work well as a center - my 3 1s across the front have been great for the past 3 years. I just wish I had started with 3 instead of waiting a few years to add another for a center.

First impressions post upgrade are hard to convey - immediate WOW effect. I put in Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes SACD into my Oppo 103 and set the receiver (Denon 4311) to source direct. Immediately I could tell the speakers are more open, imaging improved and much improved mid and highs. That custom RAAL tweeter just sings and the new woofer performs much better in the mid range. Bass doesn't seem to reach quite as deep - but not boomy as the 1 could get at times depending on the material.

Anyone considering the upgrade or Sierra 2s I can't recommend them enough - what an accomplishment for Dave and his team. Sierra 1 is a great speaker but the 2 is in a class all by itself. If you can afford the upgrade don't hesitate. I have no doubt that this speaker will receive awards throughout the next year. I love how they work for two channel sources and am confident they will also be outstanding as part of a 5.1 or 7.1 setup - for me 7.1. If you have doubts do your homework and look at what other speaker companies are using SEAS woofers, RAAL ribbon tweeters with bamboo cabinets. When you do you will see these are not only a steal at around $750 each, these are a audiophile's bookshelf speaker. They should be on everyone's short list who is looking to purchase a top level bookshelf speaker.

I also agree with time they will improve even more. More later - I need to order a Horizon. With my wife headed to the BCS I will be doing some listening to music and movie watching to do the next few days.

Harvey, these speakers make you ramble
    Last edited by smurraybhm; 01-04-2014 at 07:03 PM.