Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

I've narrowed my search for dedicated music speakers down to the Sierra-2, Nola Boxer, and Reference 3A Dulcet, using a Rogue Sphinx to drive them. They all seem to get great reviews, are well liked, and pricing is very close. Are the Sierra-2s better, and has anyone here heard the Boxers and/or the Dulcets and can give an opinion as to how they sound and compare to the Sierra-2? No chance to hear any of them myself beforehand, so I'll likely be buying blind. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by duvallite View Post
    I've narrowed my search for dedicated music speakers down to the Sierra-2, Nola Boxer, and Reference 3A Dulcet, using a Rogue Sphinx to drive them. They all seem to get great reviews, are well liked, and pricing is very close. Are the Sierra-2s better, and has anyone here heard the Boxers and/or the Dulcets and can give an opinion as to how they sound and compare to the Sierra-2? No chance to hear any of them myself beforehand, so I'll likely be buying blind. Thanks.
    Not sure if you're able to return the Boxers or Dulcet's but you definitely can the S2's.
    I'd start with the Ascends, and take it from there, although I doubt you'll return them.
    I've never heard the Sierra 2's but I have the 1's and they're the best standmount speaker I have experienced under 2k with the exception of the LS50 which IMO are a dead-heat with the ones.
    Cheers, Mac
    Last edited by Macddmac; 05-01-2014 at 08:32 PM.

All very good speakers. I would *love* to hear them all in the same room together. As it is, I haven't even heard one of them.

I've heard larger, open backed Nola speakers and they were very good, although not a 'wow' for me personally, at that time, in that room. I think the high frequencies of the Nola's, in general, won't draw attention with any oohhs and aahhs. But the highs of the Sierra 2's would be more stand out, in a very good way.

The Dulcet's I've only heard about. They are manufactured less than an hour drive away from Toronto where I live. Amazingly they lack a crossover(?) so the frequency response may not be the most even. They are very direct and lively sounding. Foot tapping. Although they are dynamic they can't be played too loudly as they can tend to get a honky sound so I've heard.

The Boxers and Dulcet are great for tone and texture and capturing very well the real sound of various instruments. I don't recall comments on the Sierra 2 about that aspect and would welcome insights from owners of the Sierra 2 about this.

Interestingly people who own the Boxers and Dulcet generally have more upscale electronics costing much more than the speakers.

In short: What monitor among the three give the most rich, yet clear, sound? (Something you indicated you valued in your first post.) I wish I knew! There is another monitor called the Clue which retails for around the same price. It is known for a rich and full type of sound, with oodles of bass, because it is meant to go right up against a wall and utilize wall reinforcement. But I don't know how clear or clean sounding it is.

Please let us know how things turn out!

Mark

I hope this doesn't come across as a negative towards the Boxer or the Dulcet, but both of these speakers are better compared to our Sierra-1 than our Sierra-2. Try not to use retail price as any indication of what should be compared to what
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com