Thread: New Sierra-2 impressions...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: New Sierra-2 impressions...

After my setback Monday when one of my screw heads partially cracked during removal I thought a lot about what to do next including going with different speakers. If you look at what's out there, components/cabinets being used by Dave and others it is easily apparent that the Ascend Sierra 2s are equal (better) to speakers costing a lot more. I would put them up against Salk's bookshelf speakers which cost a heck of a lot more. So I decided to see if I would have better luck doing my other 2 speaker upgrades tonight. About an hour later I had two Sierra 2s and relegated my remaining Sierra 1 to center channel duty -just a flip of the tweeter. Plan now is to return one upgrade kit and order a Horizon for my center with the RAAL upgrade. Happy Birthday to me - at the end of the month. That's not implying a Sierra doesn't work well as a center - my 3 1s across the front have been great for the past 3 years. I just wish I had started with 3 instead of waiting a few years to add another for a center.

First impressions post upgrade are hard to convey - immediate WOW effect. I put in Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes SACD into my Oppo 103 and set the receiver (Denon 4311) to source direct. Immediately I could tell the speakers are more open, imaging improved and much improved mid and highs. That custom RAAL tweeter just sings and the new woofer performs much better in the mid range. Bass doesn't seem to reach quite as deep - but not boomy as the 1 could get at times depending on the material.

Anyone considering the upgrade or Sierra 2s I can't recommend them enough - what an accomplishment for Dave and his team. Sierra 1 is a great speaker but the 2 is in a class all by itself. If you can afford the upgrade don't hesitate. I have no doubt that this speaker will receive awards throughout the next year. I love how they work for two channel sources and am confident they will also be outstanding as part of a 5.1 or 7.1 setup - for me 7.1. If you have doubts do your homework and look at what other speaker companies are using SEAS woofers, RAAL ribbon tweeters with bamboo cabinets. When you do you will see these are not only a steal at around $750 each, these are a audiophile's bookshelf speaker. They should be on everyone's short list who is looking to purchase a top level bookshelf speaker.

I also agree with time they will improve even more. More later - I need to order a Horizon. With my wife headed to the BCS I will be doing some listening to music and movie watching to do the next few days.

Harvey, these speakers make you ramble
    Last edited by smurraybhm; 01-04-2014 at 07:03 PM.