Thread: Sierra Center Channel position horizontally or vertically?

Default Sierra Center Channel position horizontally or vertically?

I will be upgrading to the '2'. Will the Raal change the way this speaker sounds off axis when used horizontally? I prefer that look but also considering going vertically. What do you all think? Worth the downgrade in aesthetics? My wife is being VERY understandable...image.jpgimage.jpg
    Nate

Default Re: Sierra Center Channel position horizontally or vertically?

Hi nate. Although the off axis response looks great on the RAAL, the graph from the Tower page is for horizontal axis. Would it be the same for vertical? I can't say. It may sound great. If not, I should think it would be a matter of taking a few screws out, rotating the RAAL, and resecuring it. Of course there is always the Horizon center

Update. After hearing the RAAL tweet I can say that off axis both horizontally and vertically sound very good. I also found out, rotating the tweet is how they ship if you order them as a center.

Ascend makes a Sierra-2 Center. I believe all they do is install the tweeter rotated so the RAAL is still in a vertical position. If you already have the 2, you can probably rotate it yourself.
    Media PC: Intel i7-4770K, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB RAM, 250G Samsung 840 EVO, XFX HD7870 GPU
    Software: JRiver MC 20.0.79, AnyDVD HD 7.5.8.0
    Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 13.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 28)
    Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
    Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as SL/SR
    Sub: Elemental Designs A7s-650
    TV tuner: HD HomeRun DUEL (2)

I decided to go with the Sierra-2 center oriented horizontally. It looks better and I have no complaints about the sound.
    Nate