Thread: Ascend Design Philosophy

Default Ascend Design Philosophy

I'm a long time DIY speaker builder who's reached the conclusion that my designs just aren't very good off-axis. As such I've been looking at commercial designs to purchase. Your measurements seem to indicate that you subscribe to the philosophy of speaker design as espoused by Floyd Toole of targeting flat response on and off-axis with smooth changes in directivity vs frequency. Am I misinterpreting things?

Default Re: Ascend Design Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by fasterfour View Post
    I'm a long time DIY speaker builder who's reached the conclusion that my designs just aren't very good off-axis. As such I've been looking at commercial designs to purchase. Your measurements seem to indicate that you subscribe to the philosophy of speaker design as espoused by Floyd Toole of targeting flat response on and off-axis with smooth changes in directivity vs frequency. Am I misinterpreting things?
    My biggest influences with regard to loudspeaker performance characteristics are Ken Kreisel, Dr. Lester M Field for his detailed explanations of antenna theory to me and, yes, Dr. Floyd Toole. However, from these influences and 25+ years of loudspeaker design - I have developed my own set of parameters and I believe I place more weight in time domain response compared to others I have mentioned.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Ascend Design Philosophy

David, Thanks for the insight!