Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Gotcha, last time around I had assistance (father in law). I'm guessing its nothing a little Dremel can't handle!
    I should have used a Dremel, but one was not handy and my impatience won out. I tried a piece of sandpaper at first but was not making much progress, so I put a flapping wheel in my drill and went to town. That made the opening tapered from the top to bottom so the woofer fit at first, but the opening closed up quickly towards the bottom and I could not get it opened up. I ended up with some scratches and scuffs on the front of the cabinet. I ended up using a utility knife (box cutter) and carving the inside diameter of the opening until the woofer dropped in. Once I'd started the upgrade process I was determined to complete it without stopping! I think the results make up for the slight cosmetic damage I did.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

It never hurts to use painters tape to cover a surface while working on something close to that surface. Just a thought, might save it from scratches.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Gotcha, last time around I had assistance (father in law). I'm guessing its nothing a little Dremel can't handle!
    You can do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    You can do it!!
    Thanks Guys, I have no doubt it will go just fine

I have a set of three (LCR) early Sierra-1's, with the original drivers and crossovers. Is there a way to tell from the serial numbers if they can be upgraded without modifying the cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    I have a set of three (LCR) early Sierra-1's, with the original drivers and crossovers. Is there a way to tell from the serial numbers if they can be upgraded without modifying the cabinets?
    Remove the woofer and measure the opening in the cabinet. The new woofer's mounting flange has an O.D. of 156mm. If the opening is exactly that or less, you will have to open it up. The other mod is much simpler involving the crossover. If the mounting holes are different you will need some self tapping wood screws.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Remove the woofer and measure the opening in the cabinet. The new woofer's mounting flange has an O.D. of 156mm. If the opening is exactly that or less, you will have to open it up. The other mod is much simpler involving the crossover. If the mounting holes are different you will need some self tapping wood screws.
    Well, the OD of the flange is almost exactly 156mm, maybe a hair smaller. The ID of the hole in the cabinet is 130mm. This is an early set with serial numbers around 230. It sounds like it may need some widening and while I'm reasonably handy I'm not convinced I'm up for that.

Lets make sure we are on the same page.

There is one(1) O(utside) D(iameter), that being the outer edge of the mounting flange of the cast woofer basket, which has 4 screw holes equally spaced around it. This fits into the I(nside) D(iameter) of the woofer cutout in the face of the cabinet, which then rests on the woofer mounting surface which is about 1/4" down. Those are the only 2 diameters to worry about.

I've attached a sketch to clarify!

SIERRA-1 WOOFER MOUNTING.pdf
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 03-12-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    Well, the OD of the flange is almost exactly 156mm, maybe a hair smaller. The ID of the hole in the cabinet is 130mm. This is an early set with serial numbers around 230. It sounds like it may need some widening and while I'm reasonably handy I'm not convinced I'm up for that.
    The easiest way is to simply remove one of the woofers and take a look inside the cabinet. If the damping material inside the cabinet is white, you have second gen cabinets. Even if you have first gen cabinets, it is not guaranteed that the woofer cutout will need to be shaved a bit as the tolerances from this original cabinet vendor were a bit off, which was one of the main reasons we went to a different cabinet maker.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply; I just discovered it. Alas, I have the black bag damping material so I have to assume that it's a first generation cabinet. I'd be a lot more comfortable having any mods done at the factory since it appears likely that some cabinet modification may be needed. I'll probably have to put this on the back burner for a while, not just for cost, but for turnaround time on the speakers. BTW, what would the turnaround time be for upgrading a 1st gen Sierra-1 LCR set to Sierra-2? Maybe I can discover some funds and coincide the mod when I'm away from home...