Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Hello!

I hope DaveF or somebody from Ascend can answer this.

Is there a specific torque specification for tightening the screws?

I see in the video that the screws are tightened with a torque screw driver and also have one and would like what would be the specific in-lb setting so as to get them as close to factory as possible..

Thanks

I don't think they actually have a set torque rating for this. It is more of a "feel" type of thing. Hand-tightened until it is snug enough that you would have to apply significant force to tighten further. If you use a drill/driver with an adjustable torque dial I'd use maybe a -2 or -3 setting and let it drive the screws in until it clicks for a few seconds.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Hello!

I hope DaveF or somebody from Ascend can answer this.

Is there a specific torque specification for tightening the screws?

I see in the video that the screws are tightened with a torque screw driver and also have one and would like what would be the specific in-lb setting so as to get them as close to factory as possible..

Thanks
    Mag is correct,

It really comes down to a feel as torque settings from one driver to another vary considerably. Use a low torque setting and then tighten by hand. the bamboo is much tougher than MDF, more than likely you will break a head off a screw before you over tighten and ruin the screw threads in the bamboo.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Mag is correct,

It really comes down to a feel as torque settings from one driver to another vary considerably. Use a low torque setting and then tighten by hand. the bamboo is much tougher than MDF, more than likely you will break a head off a screw before you over tighten and ruin the screw threads in the bamboo.
    Thank you Dave for confirming that!

I am a little more than impressed with that comment. I know rhe bamboo in the speakers is strong, but never thought it would be THAT strong... Takes a worry off my mind.. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    The issue I had this time was that the woofer recess cutout in the baffle was too small for the new woofer's mounting flange diameter.....by a pretty good margin(1-2mm). After speaking with Dina on the phone she suggested sanding the surface to open it up. The final option would be to send the speakers to Ascend and have them do it as they could address that issue.
    I am interested in the upgrade for my three Sierra 1's. However, I am concerned about the woofer fit if I choose to do the upgrade myself. How would I know if the fit could be a concern? I measured the cabinet openings at 156 to 157.5 mm in diameter. What is the woofer mounting flange outer diameter? My Sierra 1's were shipped May 6, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by donrim View Post
    I am interested in the upgrade for my three Sierra 1's. However, I am concerned about the woofer fit if I choose to do the upgrade myself. How would I know if the fit could be a concern? I measured the cabinet openings at 156 to 157.5 mm in diameter. What is the woofer mounting flange outer diameter? My Sierra 1's were shipped May 6, 2008.
    This is only a possible issue with first generation Sierra-1 cabinets, of which your's are not. Woofer frame OD is 156mm.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Oh boy, just read through this thread. I have the original Sierra cabinets and my upgrade kits are shipping soon. Will things fit without sanding/modification???

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Oh boy, just read through this thread. I have the original Sierra cabinets and my upgrade kits are shipping soon. Will things fit without sanding/modification???
    If they are for sure from the first batch of cabinets and you have not done the NrT upgrade then you will definitely have to use self threading wood screws to mount the new crossover as the hole pattern is different. I would also anticipate the woofer flange issue. You can remove the original woofer and measure the I.D. Of the cutout to be sure. If it is 156mm or less you will have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    If they are for sure from the first batch of cabinets and you have not done the NrT upgrade then you will definitely have to use self threading wood screws to mount the new crossover as the hole pattern is different. I would also anticipate the woofer flange issue. You can remove the original woofer and measure the I.D. Of the cutout to be sure. If it is 156mm or less you will have an issue.
    I'm not worried about the XO but the woofer issue might pose a problem

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I'm not worried about the XO but the woofer issue might pose a problem
    Worst case, you might have to shave the woofer opening just a bit. You have woodworking skills -- this will be a cinch for you compared to what you have done in the past
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Worst case, you might have to shave the woofer opening just a bit. You have woodworking skills -- this will be a cinch for you compared to what you have done in the past
    Gotcha, last time around I had assistance (father in law). I'm guessing its nothing a little Dremel can't handle!