Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Post Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    To answer a few questions

If we do the upgrade for you, your warranty on the speakers will reset. We also include an appropriate "Sierra-2" serial number on the speakers, since we will be able to test and re-certify the speakers. If taking DIY approach, you will receive a Sierra-2 product label but we will not include a new serial number since we can not re-certify the speakers. For the DIY upgrade kit, the warranty on the speakers will not reset and the components will be covered for manufacturing defects only.

Hope this makes sense.
    I guess I should have been more clear about my interpretation of the warranty reset.
    What I was assuming, was a warranty on the new parts. Obviously, you cannot be responsible for mishandling, incorrect installation etc. by DIY person.

But I guess your interpretation of the warranty is important, so nobody gets wrong ideas later on.

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Good to know, James. Maybe an extra video showing the paper cover being correctly removed would be a good idea?
    Very good idea, and I am working on it as we speak....
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    So for the center channel you'd have the arrow facing towards the ground right? Do you need to do something similar for the woofer?
    Yes, that is correct. The tweeter must always be oriented "vertically," that is, with the ribbon running long-ways from top to bottom. This is true whether a main or center. The woofer has no orientation, it is omnidirectional.
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to post a piece of information which could help some of those who wish to perform the upgrade on the 1st generation Sierra-1 cabinets.

First of all, yes, I did the Sierra-2 upgrade to my already NrT-upgraded Sierra-1's. Christmas was better than planned!

Having done the NrT upgrade to my 1st gen cabinets, the issue of the different crossover board mounting hole pattern had already been addressed. Also, I had replaced the original fiberglass in black mesh netting bags with Dacron material as in the videos.

The issue I had this time was that the woofer recess cutout in the baffle was too small for the new woofer's mounting flange diameter.....by a pretty good margin(1-2mm). After speaking with Dina on the phone she suggested sanding the surface to open it up. The final option would be to send the speakers to Ascend and have them do it as they could address that issue. I was already in the DIY state of mind so there was no way I was going to let this stop me!

After sanding and sanding and sanding, the woofer still would not fit. The opening had actually become truncated, or chamfered, from the top down to the flange mounting surface, so while the woofer flange fit into the opening near the top, it did not fit as the inside diameter became smaller towards the bottom. I had a drill-powered flapping wheel on hand, which is a wheel made up of strips of sandpaper bonded to a center hub. I tried to straighten the sides with this but it did not prove very effective. I ended up using a utility knife and applying a score-and-carve method around the diameter where the side meets the mounting surface. I was able to open up the base of the cutout enough o allow the new woofer to fit.

This was very time consuming and resulted in several scuffs/scratches in the cabinet finish. At this point I was a little aggravated. I would suggest anyone with the early cabinets who are thinking of the upgrade to consider their woodworking skill level and comfort level of modifying these cabinets before deciding whether to do it themselves or having Ascend do it.

Other than that, the -2's sound absolutely amazing!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to post a piece of information which could help some of those who wish to perform the upgrade on the 1st generation Sierra-1 cabinets.

First of all, yes, I did the Sierra-2 upgrade to my already NrT-upgraded Sierra-1's. Christmas was better than planned!

Having done the NrT upgrade to my 1st gen cabinets, the issue of the different crossover board mounting hole pattern had already been addressed. Also, I had replaced the original fiberglass in black mesh netting bags with Dacron material as in the videos.

The issue I had this time was that the woofer recess cutout in the baffle was too small for the new woofer's mounting flange diameter.....by a pretty good margin(1-2mm). After speaking with Dina on the phone she suggested sanding the surface to open it up. The final option would be to send the speakers to Ascend and have them do it as they could address that issue. I was already in the DIY state of mind so there was no way I was going to let this stop me!

After sanding and sanding and sanding, the woofer still would not fit. The opening had actually become truncated, or chamfered, from the top down to the flange mounting surface, so while the woofer flange fit into the opening near the top, it did not fit as the inside diameter became smaller towards the bottom. I had a drill-powered flapping wheel on hand, which is a wheel made up of strips of sandpaper bonded to a center hub. I tried to straighten the sides with this but it did not prove very effective. I ended up using a utility knife and applying a score-and-carve method around the diameter where the side meets the mounting surface. I was able to open up the base of the cutout enough o allow the new woofer to fit.

This was very time consuming and resulted in several scuffs/scratches in the cabinet finish. At this point I was a little aggravated. I would suggest anyone with the early cabinets who are thinking of the upgrade to consider their woodworking skill level and comfort level of modifying these cabinets before deciding whether to do it themselves or having Ascend do it.

Other than that, the -2's sound absolutely amazing!!
    This is a bit worrying.

I have Sierra 1's that were part of the first batch of Espresso cabinets. Has anyone else upgrading from older Sierras had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by pj- View Post
    This is a bit worrying.

I have Sierra 1's that were part of the first batch of Espresso cabinets. Has anyone else upgrading from older Sierras had this problem?
    Expresso cabinets came long after the first generation of cabinets.

When the Sierra-1 was first available (late 2006/early 2007), the only cabinet choices were piano black and natural.
    Last edited by curtis; 01-13-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Expresso cabinets came long after the first generation of cabinets.

When the Sierra-1 was first available (late 2006/early 2007), the only cabinet choices were piano black and natural.
    Oh ok. I was aware of the cabinet timeline, but wasn't sure how the "generations" were defined.

Hi everyone,

Have you considered using router with appropriate bit? It looks like a prefect candidate for such a job. Manual sanding is just too difficult to control, unless you are doing it on the regular basis.

Not investing in a router and bit to use once. If I had one then it would have made a difference for sure. Like I said, if you feel up to it and have the right tools then definitely go for the upgrade. They sound incredible!

Hello!

I hope DaveF or somebody from Ascend can answer this.

Is there a specific torque specification for tightening the screws?

I see in the video that the screws are tightened with a torque screw driver and also have one and would like what would be the specific in-lb setting so as to get them as close to factory as possible..

Thanks
    CURRENT SETUP:
    JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds and sub
    =============================================