Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 105

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    So for the center channel you'd have the arrow facing towards the ground right? Do you need to do something similar for the woofer?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    So for the center channel you'd have the arrow facing towards the ground right? Do you need to do something similar for the woofer?
    It doesn't matter how the speaker is oriented--right-side up, on its back, laying on its side--just slide off the paper strip slowly in the direction of the arrow. I can't find a way to explain it any better.

    The woofer doesn't require this precaution.

    Tell you what, I'll post a short video of how to remove the paper strip when I get my upgrade kits (assuming Ascend doesn't eventually add one due to popular request). My kits were pre-ordered only a few hours after Dave posted the pre-order link, so I should be in the first shipment.
    -Jacob

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    140

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    It doesn't matter how the speaker is oriented--right-side up, on its back, laying on its side--just slide off the paper strip slowly in the direction of the arrow. I can't find a way to explain it any better.

    The woofer doesn't require this precaution.

    Tell you what, I'll post a short video of how to remove the paper strip when I get my upgrade kits (assuming Ascend doesn't eventually add one due to popular request). My kits were pre-ordered only a few hours after Dave posted the pre-order link, so I should be in the first shipment.
    No I'm not talking about taking the paper off, my center is on its side so the tweeter needs to be flipped just making sure that in that setup the arrow on the tweeter should be facing the floor or if it matters.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    373

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    No I'm not talking about taking the paper off, my center is on its side so the tweeter needs to be flipped just making sure that in that setup the arrow on the tweeter should be facing the floor or if it matters.
    Yes, arrow facing the floor is always correct. You want the tweeter to be vertical, always. So, if it's the Center speaker version, and the cabinet is rotated 90 degrees, you need to rotate the tweeter 90 degrees within the cabinet so that the tweeter is still vertical

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stouffville,Ont..
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Hah...for the sake of a 100 bucks I'd sooner send them back and let Ascend handle the changes. Those videos were nice but you can see those dudes could do that switch blindfolded...
    Speakers: Towers & Horizon(w RAAL), HTM200 SE finished in espresso satin
    Sub: Funk Audio 18 in Santos

    Source: Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP 103D
    Apple TV, Giga 1800, & Panny 54"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    I guess it comes down to personal comfort, skill, and patience. One nice thing about sending the speaker in for the upgrade is that they will be matched, tested, and shipped back with a renewed warranty. That would be a great incentive for some.

    Last night I finally had a chance to watch all the videos. It's a straight-forward upgrade. My biggest piece of advice is to take your time. I know we want to listen to them ASAP, but this component swap happens only once. Make sure it's right, take your time, and try to enjoy the process. I love doing stuff like this anyway, so that makes it even better.

    I'm definitely looking forward to upgrading my pair!
    -Jacob

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SouthWest of Cleveland
    Posts
    1,541

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    The upgrade process is not a big deal, especially if you have the later(Not 1st gen. Sierra-1) cabinets. The 1st gen cabinets have different crossover mounting hole locations and you must use self-tapping wood screws to mount the new crossover board. Also the 1st gen cabinets used fiberglass insulation encased in black mesh netting.
    Ed

  8. #18

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I guess it comes down to personal comfort, skill, and patience. One nice thing about sending the speaker in for the upgrade is that they will be matched, tested, and shipped back with a renewed warranty. That would be a great incentive for some.

    Last night I finally had a chance to watch all the videos. It's a straight-forward upgrade. My biggest piece of advice is to take your time. I know we want to listen to them ASAP, but this component swap happens only once. Make sure it's right, take your time, and try to enjoy the process. I love doing stuff like this anyway, so that makes it even better.

    I'm definitely looking forward to upgrading my pair!
    Do you guys see any reason why technically it would be better to send the pair for the upgrade to be done at Ascend other than peace of mind?

    I assume that if we get kit to do the upgrade ourselves, the crossovers have to be somehow tested against some reference so that under the same conditions, a factory upgraded pair would not sound any better than a home based pair, right?

    I asked Dave if there is an additional cost other than shipping for sending the pair to factory for upgrade. Still haven't had any response, but they should be super busy filling out orders for the Sierra-2 and the upgrade kits, etc. Its understandable... In another note, its amazing how they are so successful without doing any kind of marketing whatsoever!
    CURRENT SETUP:
    JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds and sub
    =============================================

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Do you guys see any reason why technically it would be better to send the pair for the upgrade to be done at Ascend other than peace of mind?

    I assume that if we get kit to do the upgrade ourselves, the crossovers have to be somehow tested against some reference so that under the same conditions, a factory upgraded pair would not sound any better than a home based pair, right?

    I asked Dave if there is an additional cost other than shipping for sending the pair to factory for upgrade. Still haven't had any response, but they should be super busy filling out orders for the Sierra-2 and the upgrade kits, etc. Its understandable... In another note, its amazing how they are so successful without doing any kind of marketing whatsoever!
    All parts need to be tested by the manufacturer prior to shipment. Otherwise it could be quite expensive if problems are found by the end customer (Ascend). I assume, Ascend also does limited retesting just to make sure dead part is not installed into cabinet. Again, it would be quite expensive to swap parts if end testing shows problem
    (assembly cost).

    As far as matching goes. All parts need to follow one of the sigma processes. This guaranties, that after assembly, speaker will have all parameters within a spec.
    There should be no difference if kit is installed by Ascend or customer.

    The only reason to send speaker to Ascend would be if individual doesn't feel comfortable doing it himself. Different people have different skills and comfort level. Not to mention if someone accidental pokes a hole in the woofer with a screwdriver ... well it will not be covered by Ascend warranty.

    Keep in mind that Ascend assembles a lot of speakers a day. This is why end testing is necessary - it just helps making sure no step was accidentally skipped or done incorrectly (swapped terminals etc)

    If you install your own kit, there is no rush. You can double and triple check all steps. Something that would be counterproductive in the industrial environment is perfectly fine for DIY.
    Last edited by rkoaudio; 12-18-2013 at 10:12 AM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Space Coast, FL
    Posts
    578

    Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

    Quote Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post
    Do you guys see any reason why technically it would be better to send the pair for the upgrade to be done at Ascend other than peace of mind?
    Along with what rkoaudio said regarding comfort level and skill, one nice thing about letting Ascend do the upgrade is that your 7-year warranty is renewed. Plus, you can get printed measurements of the speaker's frequency response.

    The components themselves are built within tight tolerances. IMO, there should be no audible differences between a DIY Sierra-2 pair and a factory-assembled Sierra-2 pair. Dave's been down this road before with the NrT upgrade.
    -Jacob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •