Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    I'm rather surprised to learn that the driver connections are not silver soldered, in order to reduce contact resistance to a minimum, and to eliminate fretting corrosion.
    Would it hurt the drivers at all to solder the leads as opposed to using crimp spades?
    Thanks
    Hi Q,

Those are faston connectors, and they are an industry standard and used in just about every speaker out there. I have never come across any production line manufactured speaker that actually soldered the connectors to the driver. Doing so would be a logistical nightmare, dramatically raising costs with no benefits. When it comes to resistance, we are talking about thousandths of an ohm here, immeasurable and having zero effect on performance.

You can attempt soldering the leads if you like, but unless you have serious solder skills - you will heat up the tinsel wires on the driver and potentially cause permanent damage. I don't recommend it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave.
    I know the Legacy Focus speakers I had were soldered. (Which didnt make up for their other shortcomings) I've seen the effects of fretting corrosion on moving/vibrating connections, and many times dielectric grease is recommended. Perhaps that might be an option?
    Some Audiophiles pay big $ to get that thousandth of an ohm out of their speaker wire! ...and pay huge sums for an amp with a giant damping factor! Probably some of the same folks who dont want any passive crossovers in their speakers!?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove a "stuck" Sierra2EX woofer? I'm upgrading to the V2 crossovers and one of the woofers does not want to be removed. The fit it too tight and gravity isn't enough to get it out.

Did you try the trick with one of the screws as per the instructions?

https://ascendacoustics.com/collecti...40434233278518

If the screw doesn't work, you may want to try the same but using something longer (like a screwdriver) as it will give more leverage.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Did you try the trick with one of the screws as per the instructions?

https://ascendacoustics.com/collecti...40434233278518

If the screw doesn't work, you may want to try the same but using something longer (like a screwdriver) as it will give more leverage.
    Thanks, I did try the screw trick. No luck. Will be calling Ascend today.

Try something longer than a screw so you can get more leverage.

a couple of other thoughts:
    1. maybe try a plastic putty knife between the woofer and cabinet on the outer diameter of the woofer.
    2. maybe try rotating the woofer clockwise/counter clockwise a few times. Woofer/gasket may be stuck to the cabinet.
    3. maybe try chilling the outer metal frame of the woofer with compressed air
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Try something longer than a screw so you can get more leverage.

a couple of other thoughts:
    1. maybe try a plastic putty knife between the woofer and cabinet on the outer diameter of the woofer.
    2. maybe try rotating the woofer clockwise/counter clockwise a few times. Woofer/gasket may be stuck to the cabinet.
    3. maybe try chilling the outer metal frame of the woofer with compressed air
    Thanks for the suggestions! In this case it appears that the woofer is very tight particularly on the left and right sides (when viewed upright). There's a tiny bit of space along the top and bottom, but not on the left and right edges. I thought about rotating it, but would need to come up with a way to do so safely as that would likely take a fair amount of force to get it moving (and no easy way to do that). I'm starting to wonder if I can make a jig that would fit through the tweeter hole and down in front of the port so that I could push it from behind. Probably could, but would be tricky to get it right.

I sent a note to Dave & Dina a little while ago, and will see what they say. I just want to make sure that I do what I can to avoid any cabinet damage.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

Can you use two screws or two Philip head screwdrivers in opposite screw holes to try & rotate?

As to pushing from behind, maybe a long spatula, wooden spoon or plastic ruler might work?

Hopefully, Dave and Dina will have some other suggestions.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you finally got it out!

Got it! I completely forgot I had an Ascend Woofer Removal Tool (AWRT) in the basement...

20221229_155514_resized.jpg

Wedge the nail head under the rim and carefully pull. Hope this helps someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural1 View Post
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove a "stuck" Sierra2EX woofer? I'm upgrading to the V2 crossovers and one of the woofers does not want to be removed. The fit it too tight and gravity isn't enough to get it out.
    I used a bungee cord. Take the plastic tip off, straighten the hook out some and it works great. You pull it up rather than pry it up.