Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Default Re: Sierra-2 Upgrade instructions with video!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dude View Post
    Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply; I just discovered it. Alas, I have the black bag damping material so I have to assume that it's a first generation cabinet. I'd be a lot more comfortable having any mods done at the factory since it appears likely that some cabinet modification may be needed. I'll probably have to put this on the back burner for a while, not just for cost, but for turnaround time on the speakers. BTW, what would the turnaround time be for upgrading a 1st gen Sierra-1 LCR set to Sierra-2? Maybe I can discover some funds and coincide the mod when I'm away from home...
    You might still be OK doing the mod yourself. That said, I would estimate our turn around time at about 1 week right now.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I recently got my Sierra-1 upgraded by Ascend to Sierra-2. I'm a senior and don't have the manual control I'd need to do it myself. I was surprised to see these paper (magnetic?) covers for the ribbons.

Unfortunately, the print was so tiny, and partially rubbed out, that it wasn't at all clear what to do in removing them. I think I got them off, but then realized I needed to re-attach them to move the speakers up to the top of my entertainment unit. So what I'm not sure of is whether I slid the arrows on pointing the right way--or even if there is a right way. Did I mess up? Is there a right direction in future, when I move (about 3 years from now)?

I'm pretty sure I mostly slid the papers off, but I might have partially pulled up, after moving them part way down across the ribbon. I just was afraid that I was going to stick them into the gap by mistake.

Thanks,
    Pegleg

Pegleg,
    You are fine. The only thing to be careful of is not to pull straight up from the tweeter to avoid a possible vacuum bubble pulling up on the ribbon element which could potentially bend or tear it. Since you had already slid the paper down exposing the ribbon there should not have been any vacuum to worry about. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks, Mag_Neato. One question I do have: once the paper is removed, I got the impression I should use these if I ever move the speakers (not across the room, but a long move). But since the vacuum no longer exists, would they (papers) just be used to protect the ribbons?
    Thanks,
    Pegleg

The vacuum is an effect from lifting the magnetic paper up rather than sliding it off and has the potential of forming if the cover is placed back on the tweeter. Reusing the covers for moving the speakers is fine and is not a bad idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg View Post
    Thanks, Mag_Neato. One question I do have: once the paper is removed, I got the impression I should use these if I ever move the speakers (not across the room, but a long move). But since the vacuum no longer exists, would they (papers) just be used to protect the ribbons?
    Thanks,
    Pegleg
    The magnetic board is there to protect the ribbon during carrier transportation (shipping). You do not need to use these for simply moving the speakers around your home.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I just installed the upgrade kit. It's a very easy job UNLESS for some inexplicable reason you have one cabinet that accepts the new woofer and another that doesn't, like me. I ended up borrowing a dremel with a barrel sanding attachment and enlarged the opening. Having never used a dremel, I added quite a bit of cosmetic damage in the process. Using the dremel also produces a ton of sawdust which you'd normally want to vacuum out if it weren't for the ribbon being so close by.

So I'd say whatever money I saved on shipping/labor just went out the door with the cosmetic damage I did to one of the cabinets, with no warranty reset. My advice, folks, is if one of the woofers doesn't fit, STOP, and send them in.

FWIW my sierra-1's are gloss espresso from October 2011.

Sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I added some scuff marks around the woofer openings on my natural cabinets. Not overly noticeable but it was aggravating when it happened. I just recently put the grilles on, having spent the majority of the last 7 years in the shipping box. Can't see the scuffs now!
    As for sanding: before starting that procedure it is advisable to remove the tweeter, crossover and insulation. Vacuum/wipe the cabinets when the operation is finished.

Guys -- if you are having any difficulties installing the S2 upgrade kit, please call us before taking the next step. We perform these upgrades nearly every day so we can offer many recommendations
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'm seriously contemplating getting the upgrade kit. I bought my Sierra-1s used from someone else with the NRT upgrade. I'm hoping I don't have to make any modifications. I have the Piano black so would hate to scuff it up.
    Do you guys take back the old tweeters, crossover and drivers?
    Last edited by brasewel; 10-21-2014 at 09:57 PM.