Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ELX Towers vs. 2-EX Bookshelves for 20x30 room in condo building?

Default ELX Towers vs. 2-EX Bookshelves for 20x30 room in condo building?

Hello all,

I'm trying to make a decision between the ELX Towers and the 2-EX Bookshelves. Speakers will be in living room on a 30' wall. Room is about 30' x 20' with 9 foot ceilings. I rarely listen over 80db, and it's probably closer to 70 at my listening position most of the time. My building has concrete foundations and sound is rarely an issue in my unit and I've never received a noise complaint in 15 years.

Equipment will be analog and digital components into a Yamaha A-S2200. I also have an older SVS PB2000 subwoofer than is currently in use with a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 bookshelves which is my backup system (my main speakers were SVS Prime Towers and one of them has a tweeter issue). I am ready for an upgrade.

I'm trying to decide between towers and bookshelves as well as RAAL vs. Titan Dome for the tweeter if I go towers.

Looking for advice on the pros and cons of each as I will probably be making a purchase in the near future.

Default Re: ELX Towers vs. 2-EX Bookshelves for 20x30 room in condo building?

IMO, if the ELX Towers are in budget, go for it.

As to RAAL vs Titan, I prefer the airiness RAAL i’ve not heard the Titan towers, but have heard the titan as have pair of LX. That said, Titan is really very good (perhaps a bit better with rock/metal, which is what I mainly listen to, although the RAAL is no slouch)

I’d also suggest calling Ascend to discuss your needs and get their recommendations

As the esteemed last poster said, if it's in the budget and the other constraints for the room, get the Towers.

As far as Titan vs. RAAL, well, I own both 2EXs and LXs so I have experience with both. I think in a two-way design with no midrange driver I prefer the Titan. But the Tower is a 3-way with a larger RAAL that has better vertical dispersion, so for the Towers I'd go with the RAAL version if it's in your budget.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thank you both. All options are on the table.

Awfully big space...I'd go with the Titan ELX....to fill that 5400^3ft room. In either case I'd pass on the S2Ex the smaller raal in the EX...will not get you imo the desired results in that space.
    Last edited by billy p; 05-10-2023 at 07:49 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlax97 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm trying to make a decision between the ELX Towers and the 2-EX Bookshelves. Speakers will be in living room on a 30' wall. Room is about 30' x 20' with 9 foot ceilings. I rarely listen over 80db, and it's probably closer to 70 at my listening position most of the time. My building has concrete foundations and sound is rarely an issue in my unit and I've never received a noise complaint in 15 years.

Equipment will be analog and digital components into a Yamaha A-S2200. I also have an older SVS PB2000 subwoofer than is currently in use with a pair of Soliloquy 5.0 bookshelves which is my backup system (my main speakers were SVS Prime Towers and one of them has a tweeter issue). I am ready for an upgrade.

I'm trying to decide between towers and bookshelves as well as RAAL vs. Titan Dome for the tweeter if I go towers.

Looking for advice on the pros and cons of each as I will probably be making a purchase in the near future.
    Hi deadlax97,

Welcome to our community!

This is a very large room and I do agree with the others that our towers would be the best option.

A few quick questions for you if you don't mind:

1. How far back will you be sitting from the front left/right speakers?

2. Is this for a dedicated music system or a combination of music and movies?

3. What music genres do you listen to most?

Thanks in advance and please feel free to reach out to us directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My listening position is about 9 feet from speakers. I’ve currently got them about 8 feet apart. I can probably get them about two feet from the back wall as well.

It’s not a dedicated music system but it will be a dedicated 2.1 system.

Rock, Jazz, blues in that order with other music sometimes in play as well.

Thank you.

IMO, I still think the ELX Towers with RAAL would be the best option.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by deadlax97 View Post
    My listening position is about 9 feet from speakers. I’ve currently got them about 8 feet apart. I can probably get them about two feet from the back wall as well.

It’s not a dedicated music system but it will be a dedicated 2.1 system.

Rock, Jazz, blues in that order with other music sometimes in play as well.

Thank you.
    Just a couple more questions.

Is my Yamaha A-S2200 going to be powerful enough to get these speakers to deliver their potential at 60-70db?

Would the RAAL or Titan tweeter be better for a lot of on my feet listening moving around the room?

per specs, the Yamaha is 90 wpc. More than enough for 60-70 dB. My amp is only 100 wpc, and it drives my ELX Towers much louder than that. I'm about 9 feet back, as well, in an open floor plan.

I think the Titan has better vertical dispersion and it's been said better for rock. The RAAL is very good for rock, as well as jazz & blues. I sometimes walk around the room doing other things and the RAAL is fine for me. That said, I'm not as critical of the sound when moving about.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD