Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Ascends ugly or is it just me?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikeman

SKILLED, less expensive Chinese labor. Know anyone who has a problem with the quality of these speakers?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

David, there have been more than a handful of reports on the AV123 forum in regards to problems with cabinets. Split veneers, exposed nails, etc. Two have communicated with me directly. No disrespect, and ofcourse, those types a problems can occur when made in the US as well.

On your Chinese labor argument, are you saying it is good or bad for Americans when products are made in China?

Aside from where the speakers are made, I like the fact that Ascends are tested and inspected "here" before they are boxed and shipped to the customer.

-curtis

every company will have problems. it's what they do or don't do in response to the problems that makes a difference.

says the following in his best Charlton Heston voice;
    let's be respectful and careful not to attack other brands. don't be "the other guy." i think enough heat was stirred up over the recent shootout.

"On your Chinese labor argument, are you saying it is good or bad for Americans when products are made in China?"

Yes.

"David, there have been more than a handful of reports on the AV123 forum in regards to problems with cabinets. Split veneers, exposed nails, etc. Two have communicated with me directly. No disrespect, and ofcourse, those types a problems can occur when made in the US as well."

These examples are not ongoing production problems. These are examples of "ramping up." Very few new prodction facilities come on line with no initial kinks. The speakers are designed by Americans. The early design has some easily rectifiable problems.

"Aside from where the speakers are made, I like the fact that Ascends are tested and inspected here before they are boxed and shipped to the customer."

I like that too. That's one of several reasons I'm planning on ordering 340's with stands before the deal expires on Tuesday.

David

Beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder. I don't think Ascends are ugly, nor do I think Rockets, Axioms, HTD, Aperion, etc. are "ugly". They are just different. Just because a speaker is black doesn't make it unattractive, and just because a speaker is wood doesn't make it attractive. It just makes the two different. Mine will eventually be going into a dedicated theater, where controlled lighting will make anything in the room except the screen hard to see. If they needed to be extensions of my living room furniture, I may have gone a different route. Personally, having as many choices as we do benefits everyone IMHO.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bikeman

"On your Chinese labor argument, are you saying it is good or bad for Americans when products are made in China?"

Yes.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

OK....you lost me on that one.

-curtis

quote:Originally posted by bikeman

Yes.

OK....you lost me on that one.

-curtis

Nothing as complicated as global trade is all good or all bad. It's both. Global trade is usually portrayed in strickly economic terms because the US public is pretty much ignorant about geo-political issues and simple dollar and cents is all we can absorb.

David

Um....I don't really consider myself to be an
    "ignorant American". But your explanation of
    your point is cryptic at best.

What do you mean????

Sorry, Matt. Any University library will have lots to offer on East Asia. It's a hot topic right now. Global population dynamics, military initiatives and who owns what should be of alot more concern than which developing nation is the current low bidder in the revolving labor market.

David

David,

OK....I see where you are coming from now. I was just trying to understand the context of your earlier reply to Quinn.

-curtis

It's great to see such brand loyalty out there.

However, I still don't see anyone characterizing Ascend speakers as "attractive" looking. In fact, people seem to excuse their looks because based on their usage, how they look doesn't matter. i.e:

"... i'm not worried about impressing anyone with the looks of what is in my living room..."

"...Mine will eventually be going into a dedicated theater, where controlled lighting will make anything in the room except the screen hard to see. If they needed to be extensions of my living room furniture, I may have gone a different route..."

etc...

In terms of the use of Chinese manufacturing resources, people need to wake up and understand that it's a COMPETITIVE GLOBAL MARKET. That's not going to change and that's the reality of the future. And just because a product is made in China, it doesn't mean it's not a quality product.

To put this issue into focus, if you look at all the other direct-to-consumer, online speaker retailers (av123, aperion, theaudioinsider, axiomaudio), their speakers make an attempt at having a quality looking, attractive finish. Now wood veneers may not get everyone excited but at least they try and address this aesthetic issue.

Personally, I like the custom finish that Ascend offers versus real wood or wood veneers. They're modern, clean-looking, and unique to Ascend. However, when they double the cost of the product, it's not a realistic option.

Can an American product offer both performance and an attractive packaging? Absolutely. Look at the success of Harley Davidson.

I hope this issue of aesthetics won't be dismissed based on 1) you have to give up an attractive finish in exchange for sonic audio quality in this price range; 2) looks don't matter because no one is going to see them anyways; or 3) the idea that a true audiophile shouldn't care what the speakers look like - only what they sound like. All of these arguments seem like easy outs to addressing the issue which is can Ascend be competitive in offering both high-end audio performance and attractive packaging like their competitors.