Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Ascends ugly or is it just me?

HSU's subs get the same criticism. Unfortunately, the remedy
    (custom wood veneers and such) sends the prices up out of
    the budget category.

I don't know, my Ascends aren't any uglier than anything
    else in my system. Consumer electronics. Are amps PRETTY?

With the VTF Hsu subs, you have an option to get a premium finish at a reasonable additional cost relative to the base price.

In terms of keeping it within the price range, I have to point out that Axiom and Rocket speakers are comparable in quality and price to Ascend speakers and offer better finishes so it is possible to achieve both performance and aesthetics.

I'm assuming that these speakers, for most people, will be used in their homes - not in a sound studio - so looks matter. And this is not a new grievance. Ascend's appearance comes up repeatedly in reviews - both pro and consumer.

I'm simply suggesting that Ascend needs to address this concern so that what they offer is undeniably the best speakers in the price category for both performance and appearance.

I understand where you are coming from on this. I loved the look of the fancier veneers out there and even demoed a couple with the ascends in my home. My wife on the other hand said "I hate having a speaker box in my living room, but it is even worse if you call attention to it by making it bright and shiny." The black, non-descript enclosure may not knock your socks off, but at least you arent spending money on something half (or more) of the people dont need or want.

I agree, however, that the option for fancy veneers would be nice, but options cost money and add overhead, a big problem for small companies.

I certainly wouldn't describe Ascends as ugly. I consider Ascends as more of a "stealth mode" speaker. They don't attract attention to themselves visually, but feed them an audio signal and you'll definitely know that they are in the room. Unlike children, speakers are meant to be heard not seen! []

The 170's are my first black vinyl speakers. I had a pair of B&W 602's w/light cherry vinyl, and before that a pair of Vandersteen 1B's with a honey oak veneer on the top and bottom caps(the body of the speaker was wrapped in a black cloth). My PSB Subsonic 3 has a piano gloss black top with a black cloth covering the rest of the sub. My experience is that black is much easier to integrate with my other furnishings than variations in finish with wood veneers - IMHO!

Ed

I would love to see Ascends in a factory veneer finish and have encouraged DaveF to pursue a 'premium' finish option. In the mean time, you can always do what I did - buy the unfinished ones and do it yourself. Unfortunately, most people lack the skills/time/resources/interest to go this route. If it wasn't as much work as it was, I might have done matching 340s also. Hopefully we'll see something in the near future.

Like a lot of other things this all comes down to personal taste. Speakers with nice wood finishes are indeed beautiful, but I don't think Ascends are ugly at all.

americans sure show their materialistic sides at times. j/k

i don't think they're ugly. just simple, black speakers. realize that you're getting a focus and emphasis on the sonics of the speaker with ascends. NHT has been doing the same thing for years. i'd put ascend right up there with the quality and performance of many NHT speakers.

mine are proudly displayed in my living room. i'm not worried about impressing anyone with the looks of what is in my living room. don't understand that anyways. my friend came over, saw my 340s, and said - man! those are really cool, turn em' on! i'd rather let them listen to the sound.

i've had all three brands in my home. the ascends won overall for my HT needs. this included physical requirements (dimensions) and aesthetics.
    it's whatever matters to you in the end i guess.

Rockets reach that price point thru cheap Chinese labor. I wonder what the price would be if they were assembled in the USA like Ascends are. I personally prefer that Ascends don't draw attention to themselves.

"Rockets reach that price point thru cheap Chinese labor."

SKILLED, less expensive Chinese labor. Know anyone who has a problem with the quality of these speakers?

I wonder what the price would be if they were assembled in the USA like Ascends are.

Based on information provided by United Technologies when they moved manufacturing from Syracuse, NY to Singapore last year and postings on the AV123 Forum, the cost is roughly around a third of USA manufacturing. These are all costs, not just labor.
    If Asian labor made even half of what we make, the strain on natural resources would be catastrophic. Many economists and environmentalists feel it already is.
    An employed country is a more peaceful country.

David