Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro Studio Monitors vs Ascend Speakers

Default Re: Pro Studio Monitors vs Ascend Speakers

I am really itching to upgrade.

However, my music comes mostly from Pandora and iTunes. If I upgrade to Sierra-1, will the speakers be overkill for my music source?

So...praising Ascend's speakers for their performance and value -- on Ascend's own forum -- that's somehow the same as dismissing all other ID brands?

I fail to see the cogency of that argument. But then again, if I said the sky is blue, Kisakuku would point out how I hadn't mentioned all the times it's grey or orange.

Ahh, contrarians. This ain't jazz. You don't have to read into the things I DIDN'T say. All I mentioned were things that I like. That doesn't mean I dislike or dismiss everything else in the world that I didn't mention. Like my posts aren't long enough already! What a weird criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_teller View Post
    So...praising Ascend's speakers for their performance and value -- on Ascend's own forum -- that's somehow the same as dismissing all other ID brands?

I fail to see the cogency of that argument. But then again, if I said the sky is blue, Kisakuku would point out how I hadn't mentioned all the times it's grey or orange.

Ahh, contrarians. This ain't jazz. You don't have to read into the things I DIDN'T say. All I mentioned were things that I like. That doesn't mean I dislike or dismiss everything else in the world that I didn't mention. Like my posts aren't long enough already! What a weird criticism.
    Some folks can really make you just go KUKU at times .

Jay

You dismissed all the competition in the same price bracket.

Ascend's prices and quadruple them. That's more in line with their competition

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    I am really itching to upgrade.

However, my music comes mostly from Pandora and iTunes. If I upgrade to Sierra-1, will the speakers be overkill for my music source?
    I have the Sierra-1s. The Sierra-1 is a more detailed and resolving speaker but IMO is very kind to imperfect recordings and inferior formats. I think Pandora sounds really good through my Denon receiver at 128kbs. I can definitely hear a difference when comparing directly between MP3 and lossless but the MP3 doesn't sound bad. I wouldn't think that would be as true for the NRT and the Sierra-2.

I would also suggest checking out Murfie.com. You can download albums at a very reasonable price in FLAC which is lossless and should sound great as long as it is a good recording to start with. I put these files on a hard drive and play them directly through my receiver. Check to see what formats your receiver is capable of playing.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I have the Sierra-1s. The Sierra-1 is a more detailed and resolving speaker but IMO is very kind to imperfect recordings and inferior formats. I think Pandora sounds really good through my Denon receiver at 128kbs. I can definitely hear a difference when comparing directly between MP3 and lossless but the MP3 doesn't sound bad. I wouldn't think that would be as true for the NRT and the Sierra-2.

I would also suggest checking out Murfie.com. You can download albums at a very reasonable price in FLAC which is lossless and should sound great as long as it is a good recording to start with. I put these files on a hard drive and play them directly through my receiver. Check to see what formats your receiver is capable of playing.
    Hi Nate,

Thanks for the reply. What kind of Sierra-1s do you have, the base model or the NrT?

Uh...no. My intention with my statement was to point out what Ascend's prices ought to be if Dave followed industry standard pricing, rather than essentially giving away all of the upgraded components at cost. That's not the same thing as dismissing all other brands that might also be selling their products below industry standard prices. I didn't even bring them up, which, I suppose, is what has your knickers in a bunch to begin with, Kisakuku.

But it's your inference bringing the whole "dismissal" thing into the conversation. That wasn't my intended meaning. You seem pretty darn adamant that you know what I meant better than I do, though. Cool power! Being able to know what people REALLY meant by deciding for yourself ahead of time. Wish I could do that...

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Hi Nate,

Thanks for the reply. What kind of Sierra-1s do you have, the base model or the NrT?
    I have the regular Sierra-1's. I will be upgrading to the 2's.

To go back to studio monitors my intention wasn't to steer anybody away from them, I'm sure there's great value to be had in them; it just depends on application. For HT, they'll likely not be very well suited, for computer/desk speakers, they'd be much better suited than the 340s. It really depends on application!

Both kisakuku and jonathan are right in their own way. Let us not turn this into avs;-) I come to this forum only bcos there is almost zero DRAMA. Peace Brothers.