Thread: Out of phase front left and right according to THX optimizer

Unhappy Out of phase front left and right according to THX optimizer

Hello members,
    i have a seemingly strange issue, hoping someone can help.
    i have a 5.1 setup, with my Sierra-1 fronts positive (red) to positive and negative (black) to negative (black) with my Yamaha A1020 receiver. Ran YPAO, no issue detected by the receiver. however I do feel the sound are a bit "noisy" and a bit "bright". I have it running like this for a few weeks, hoping this maybe the speakers needs break-in time. Today i loaded up my Star Wars DVD, and ran the THX optimizer within, it tells me my front left and right Sierra-1 are out of phase. When I listened to the audio phase test, the sound effect are out of sync with the test signal, so it tells me to reverse the left speaker wiring. I reversed the wiring on the speaker terminal, and then the sound effect is in sync with the phase test. Now I try to listen to some movies and cds, the sounds does seems to be "cleaner". Then I decided to run YPAO again, YPAO tells me my left front phase is reversed. So I am very confused, can anyone explain what is going on, and what I should do?

thanks.

Default Re: Out of phase front left and right according to THX optimizer

Quote Originally Posted by kgabest View Post
    Hello members,
    i have a seemingly strange issue, hoping someone can help.
    i have a 5.1 setup, with my Sierra-1 fronts positive (red) to positive and negative (black) to negative (black) with my Yamaha A1020 receiver. Ran YPAO, no issue detected by the receiver. however I do feel the sound are a bit "noisy" and a bit "bright". I have it running like this for a few weeks, hoping this maybe the speakers needs break-in time. Today i loaded up my Star Wars DVD, and ran the THX optimizer within, it tells me my front left and right Sierra-1 are out of phase. When I listened to the audio phase test, the sound effect are out of sync with the test signal, so it tells me to reverse the left speaker wiring. I reversed the wiring on the speaker terminal, and then the sound effect is in sync with the phase test. Now I try to listen to some movies and cds, the sounds does seems to be "cleaner". Then I decided to run YPAO again, YPAO tells me my left front phase is reversed. So I am very confused, can anyone explain what is going on, and what I should do?

thanks.
    Hi kgabest,

Today i loaded up my Star Wars DVD, and ran the THX optimizer within, it tells me my front left and right Sierra-1 are out of phase. When I listened to the audio phase test, the sound effect are out of sync with the test signal, so it tells me to reverse the left speaker wiring.
    These types of audible phase tests are highly inaccurate and are subject to room modes. The Sierra-1 are fully tested before we ship them, including polarity, and it would not be possible for us to ship a pair that were out-of-phase.

In addition, having the speakers out of phase with each other would not result in a cleaner sound. If you are running the speakers full range, out-of-phase speakers would result in a reduction in overall bass response (due to cancellation) and you would lose center imaging.

Please be sure to keep the polarity the same for both speakers.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,
    thank you for the response, I changed back the Polarity. i moved the speakers further away from wall and corner, they sound better now.

Quote Originally Posted by kgabest View Post
    Dave,
    thank you for the response, I changed back the Polarity. i moved the speakers further away from wall and corner, they sound better now.
    Glad to hear this
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com