Thread: Sierra 2 Upgrade vs. ATC SCM 11

Default Sierra 2 Upgrade vs. ATC SCM 11

Hello World.

I have been a proud owner of Sierra 1's since July of 2012. I was planning to upgrade to Sierra 2 drivers but, at the same time, I've gained a lot of interest in ATC SCM speakers, primarily the SCM11 or SCM19. Yes, I know there is a cost difference between the ATC and Ascend, and I could buy used ATC's to bring the cost more inline with a new Sierra 2, but like I said, the plan is to either upgrade to 2's or get the ATC's.

Has anyone listened to ATC speakers and can the offer some feedback with regard to how they compare to the Sierra 1's or Sierra 2's? Will I be just as happy with the upgrade? I like to save when I can but I will also spend if I know I'll receive a marginal benefit.

Thanks for your time.

Joe from Massachusetts

Default Re: Sierra 2 Upgrade vs. ATC SCM 11

I've never heard ATC speakers, but I have upgraded all of my Sierra-1's to 2's and can assure you that it is not a marginal improvement. The sound is more detailed and realistic. Part of the improvement is due to the ribbon tweeter which the ATC speakers do not have. Nor do they seem to provide measurements like Ascend does.
    Nate

Default Re: Sierra 2 Upgrade vs. ATC SCM 11

Quote Originally Posted by possumtaters View Post
    Hello World.

I have been a proud owner of Sierra 1's since July of 2012. I was planning to upgrade to Sierra 2 drivers but, at the same time, I've gained a lot of interest in ATC SCM speakers, primarily the SCM11 or SCM19. Yes, I know there is a cost difference between the ATC and Ascend, and I could buy used ATC's to bring the cost more inline with a new Sierra 2, but like I said, the plan is to either upgrade to 2's or get the ATC's.

Has anyone listened to ATC speakers and can the offer some feedback with regard to how they compare to the Sierra 1's or Sierra 2's? Will I be just as happy with the upgrade? I like to save when I can but I will also spend if I know I'll receive a marginal benefit.

Thanks for your time.

Joe from Massachusetts
    Based on the components used in the SCM11 and measurements taken by Stereophile, the SCM11 (and SCM19) are really more comparable to our Sierra-1 (and I have my doubts about that ), definitely not our Sierra-2. Keep in mind that Stereophile measured the sensitivity at only 82dB anechoic. That is very low and you will need a LOT of power with these speakers. You will also lose a very considerable amount of bass.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com